× General Discussion

MD jobs for non BC/BE?

More
1 week 2 days ago #96823 by Momd
Hey guys, new to this forum! It amazing the community of mom MDs out here!

I don't know if this has been discussed before, tried searching for it but not much info. I need to move to the US for the husband (and soon baby) who is doing his orthopedic residency here. Problem is, my residency (in Singapore) is definitely not recognized here, or deemed to be board eligible. Do any of you mom's out there who is not BC/BE manage to find MD jobs? I do not mind working locums/ED/back-up for residents as long as I get to be in clinical work.

Also, state licenses are out of the question as most require 1-2 year of work in each state to be licensed. Any one out there know of loop holes/hospitals/institutions around this without having to repeat residency? Thanks in advance!! HAPPY ST PATTYS WEEKEND ALL
More
1 week 1 day ago #96824 by sahmd
Welcome, Momd! I think your path depends a lot on whether you graduated from a US medical school or from a school outside the US. If you are an IMG then there are a lot more hoops to jump through: www.usmle-courses.eu/license-requirements.htm

I think there are some loopholes, such as doing a fellowship or doing clinical research, that would allow you to work in the clinical setting, but I don't know the details. If you are planning to stay in the US after your husband finishes his residency/fellowship (it seems like the orthopods always do a fellowship or two after residency), then you may want to go through the official process, which would probably involve repeating residency. Either way, I do think it is a good idea for you to continue to do clinical work in some capacity, even if you have to take some short trips back to Singapore to do it. It is better not to have a large gap in your working history.

Sorry I don't know the exact answer, but good luck with everything!
Time to create page: 0.218 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!