× Women Medical Students

is 2 weeks maternity leave too little? 2nd year MD

More
8 months 3 weeks ago #96736 by dandan
Hi,

Im 32, have a 3 yr old, studying medicine in a foreign country, pregnant with my second during 2nd year MD and im planning to take off 2 weeks maternity leave only after my c section. Has anyone else done this? Is it doable?

Need a bit of reassurance/advice. If i was studying in the UK, id have no problem in taking a year out and slotting back in with the current 1st years but I feel as though its taken a while to integrate into my current year and now I don't want to have to go through the whole process again.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 months 4 weeks ago #96760 by OnExtendedLeave
Hi, 2 weeks sounds rather short. Your OB probably doesn't want you doing strenuous activities 2 weeks after a C-section. Perhaps if you're in a field in which the hours and work environment isn't as physically taxing (e.g. Radiology, Pathology, ..) but if you're on your feet moving between patient rooms and such, all day long, sometimes on call overnight in the hospital - that sounds like your incisions won't have much time to heal well and you'll risk wound issues... Can you try to swap with others to have a particularly light/physically easier rotation for when you resume after your short leave? It's in your program's best interest as well to minimize the chance that they need to suddenly cover if you develop complications etc and can't go back at all 2 weeks postpartum.

Good luck with working out your schedule.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Administrator, elitej

More
7 months 3 weeks ago #96766 by gldmd
Absolutely. You don't get that time back with your child. You can finish residency...eventually. Take as much time as you can. Once I had a child, I understood , taking 6 months off (if you are able). During residency, I didn't understand. It is you and your family's decision. Not your coworkers or even the attending in the program. They will be alright. Really. We had a resident who had 2 children in residency. So what she finished in in 4 years instead of 3 for IM.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Administrator, elitej

More
7 months 6 days ago #96785 by UroMom
Talk to your OB. 2 weeks does not sound like enough after a C section (even after NSVD, I wasn't physically ready to stand as long as I would have needed to at 2 weeks.) Spending time with your child is one thing, but you quite simply may not be able to function at your best if you return too early.

Time to create page: 0.245 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!