× Women Premed Students

MCAT While Pregnant

More
10 months 3 weeks ago #96671 by lelive18
Hi Everyone,

I'll be about 20 weeks into my pregnancy when taking the mCAT.
1. Any suggestions about managing the studying when morning sickness is still an issue?
2. Any tips for the day of? I'm guessing I'll be bigger and needing the bathroom more, etc.
3. Are there any accommodations that I can get (such as time for bathroom breaks, permission to bring food, etc.) and if so, how do I get them?

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 months 6 days ago #96754 by KMP
Hi! I know it has been a while since you posted this, so I hope I'm not too late in responding :) I feel your pain! I was 5 months pregnant and working full time when I took the MCAT. Luckily I didn't have morning sickness too badly, because I found it was easiest to get up early when I'd wake up having to pee anyway (around 4 am) and knock out a few solid hours of studying first thing.

I highly recommend the Khan Academy videos. I would fall asleep while reading so I started watching the Khan Academy videos (on 2x playback speed) and it really helped me cover a lot of material in a short amount of time and prevented my pregnancy brain from wandering while reading a boring paragraph.

Lastly, I didn't ask about extra time for bathroom breaks, but it can't hurt to ask the question! I didn't have an issue with just using the breaks already scheduled. Obviously that all depends on how you're feeling though! Make sure you have quick snacks and a vitamin water or something and you should be fine!

I know there wasn't a whole lot of advice there, but know that I'm cheering you on! The MCAT is challenging under the best conditions, so use pregnancy as your motivation to do good work every day. Make the hours that you're studying more valuable vs. just studying for more hours and not retaining information. Tired studying is not productive. Get enough sleep for you and baby. Eat well, exercise.. the usual advice. And at the end of the day realize... this is probably nothing compared to studying in medical school with an infant/ toddler! ;) (I can't speak to that yet. I'll start that hurdle in August!)

Good luck!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: TexasRoseefex101
Time to create page: 0.229 seconds
Find us on Facebook!
Find us on Twitter!
Find us on Pinterest!