1st pregnancy right before Med School

Home Forums Premed Students 1st pregnancy right before Med School

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    FemmeM├ędecinFemmeM├ędecin
    Participant

Hi everyone,
    I’m a 26 years old postbac premed student…just a semester away (2 classes) from completing my requirements, and just found out that I’m 6wks pregnant. In a way, I’m very excited to be a mommy & so is my hubby ­čÖé but at the same time I’m concerned about how that’s going to affect my plan of becoming a physician. I don’t know if it’s just the hormones…but for some reason I’m feeling like I’m so far away from reaching my dream with a baby on the way. I was planning to take the MCAT this summer, but now that I’m due in the summer…change of plans! I was also planning to participate in a summer enrichment program…but that’s also a no no right now ­čÖü And then, to top it off, I can’t stop thinking about how long I would have to wait for my next baby…I don’t want my kids to be so far apart in age :scratchchin:

TexasRoseTexasRose
    Participant

I’ll tell you how things worked out for me. It’s a tough choice to make, I know.

I started my prereq’s at 25, as a postbacc, when my daughter was 1 yr. I had plans to finish them in 2 years and start med school at 28-29. Then I started thinking about how I didn’t want my child to be an only child and I was afraid to wait until med school to get pregnant. So we started trying for a 2nd baby. Bingo, bango, twins!!!

That really slowed me down, 2 infants and a 2 year old! I had to stop taking classes due to finances and I just knew I couldn’t handle 3 small kids and focus on getting into med school. So, throw in a couple of job relo’s with my husband and some career diversions (I tried speech therapy as a career alternative.)and suddenly I’m 31! ­čś«

Well, the boys went to kindergarten last year and I went back to finish my last 3 classes and take the MCAT. It worked great! I’m now the proud owner of an acceptance letter from my first choice school! ­čśÇ

I didn’t do it the way I first envisioned it, and I had a lot of frustrating detours along the way, but I’m where I want to be today. That’s what counts.

So, however you decide to do this, it can be done! We’ve had members who delayed med school a year to have a baby and then start when the baby was close to a year old and others who had their baby while in med school. Lots of options.

BTW, can you take the MCAT in the Spring? 2nd trimester is a good time to get things done! ­čśë
    MCAT scores can be no older than 3 years. If you think you would be applying within 3 years, it might be a good idea to get it under your belt while the coursework is fresh in your memory. Otherwise a review course will do the trick. My Physics and Gen Chem were 6-7 years old before I took the MCAT and it worked out jsut fine.

Congratulations and Good Luck!!!
    Theresa

FemmeM├ędecinFemmeM├ędecin
    Participant

Thanks so much for sharing your experience TheresaW…that was very encouraging. I didn’t think about taking the MCAT this spring though, that’s a great idea! :goodvibes:
    Anyway, thanks again for your suggestions and congrats on your acceptance to your first choice!
    Have a great holiday!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.