A Little Bit About Me

Home Forums Introductions & Connections A Little Bit About Me

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    ChandraChandra
    Participant

Hello, my name is Chandra(Chan for short)Stonewall and I am a 34 year old, divorced mother of two beautiful children. My daughter is 12 and my son is 2.5 months. I have always known that being a physician was what I was put on this earth to do, however due to many life “experiences” I kept putting it off and putting it off. It wasnt until 2 years ago that I decided that this road was the only road to my fulfillment. Now, I am sure that all of that sounded like a great segment for the “I Beat the Odds and You Can Too” episode of Oprah. The truth of the matter is…this has been the most challenging endevor of my life. It aint easy folks. I am finishing up with my studies on the CC level and I will be beginning at the U next summer. Between my daughter’s preteen ups and downs, my son’s midnight feedings, and my studies it is a wonder that I am not sitting in the corner of a padded room. I just recently moved back in with my parents which has proven to be a wonderful move. I just tell myself that this time will not last long..and it will be all worth it in the long run. My greatest challenge right now is staying motivated. I have found myself becoming very discouraged. (could just be the post pregnancy blues) I was elated to find this website…because, honestly, I was beginning to feel like the Lone Ranger. That’s all for now….but “I’ll be back.”
    Chan

Brooke TroutBrooke Trout
    Participant

Hi Chan,
    Welcome to this site. It has been a god send for me! I am a mother of 2… a seven year old girl who thinks she’s 16 and a 17 month old boy who thinks he’s tarzan. I have posted a couple of times here…mainly just look for inspirational stories and second-hand advice!
    A big pat on the back for following through with your aspirations. I,too, had to negate my dreams for awhile. I am returning to college after 4 years.
    In the a.m. I will write more. I wanted you to know someone was here for you..
    Brooke

DO2BDO2B
    Participant

Welcome Chan and BT,

I didn’t find this site until this summer…after I had been through many years of up and downs (I’m 43 now), on the road to my dream of becoming a physician…and after I had already been accepted to med school. But as you’ve probably seen, there are women posting here who are at all different points in the process…even those who want to retire! It is still helpful to know that there are other women out there struggling with/or who have been through similar issues

Anyway, I just wanted to encourage you to not give up on your dreams….yes there will be low times and times you may put it aside to give your undivided attention to the significant others in your life (or other significant issues!)…but it doesn’t mean that you can’t “pick it up” again when you are ready. I was divorced after I finished my BS and my boys were 3, 6, and 7.5…I felt very lost for some time. I thought about trying to do med school at that point ( I had previously decided to take some time after graduation to make sure it was really what I wanted to do…and to have more time with my kids while they were young), but didn’t think I could handle it on my own. Perhaps if I had the benefit of a site like this, I might have gone for it, instead of entering a graduate social work program (as an alternative professional career)…in which I felt like a duck out of water, and really basically hated! I felt like those were some of the worst/darkest years of my life, and yet now, I am glad I went through them. They provided the opportunity for considerable personal growth and invaluable life experiences (both through my personal struggles and through my education and work as a social worker). I know I will be a better doctor for it, and I’m also glad that I had a bit more time with my boys to be more involved in their lives and activities as they’ve grown (they’re now 15, 18, and almost 20!). Well, I’ve rambled on much longer than I intended. Good luck, hang in there and hopefully you find some comfort, inspiration, and encouragement here at MomMD!

BTW, feel free to write me if you have questions, or want to talk privately 😉

Sue

DO2BDO2B
    Participant

Welcome Chan and BT,

I didn’t find this site until this summer…after I had been through many years of up and downs (I’m 43 now), on the road to my dream of becoming a physician…and after I had already been accepted to med school. But as you’ve probably seen, there are women posting here who are at all different points in the process…even those who want to retire! It is still helpful to know that there are other women out there struggling with/or who have been through similar issues

Anyway, I just wanted to encourage you to not give up on your dreams….yes there will be low times and times you may put it aside to give your undivided attention to the significant others in your life (or other significant issues!)…but it doesn’t mean that you can’t “pick it up” again when you are ready. I was divorced after I finished my BS and my boys were 3, 6, and 7.5…I felt very lost for some time. I thought about trying to do med school at that point ( I had previously decided to take some time after graduation to make sure it was really what I wanted to do…and to have more time with my kids while they were young), but didn’t think I could handle it on my own. Perhaps if I had the benefit of a site like this, I might have gone for it, instead of entering a graduate social work program (as an alternative professional career)…in which I felt like a duck out of water, and really basically hated! I felt like those were some of the worst/darkest years of my life, and yet now, I am glad I went through them. They provided the opportunity for considerable personal growth and invaluable life experiences (both through my personal struggles and through my education and work as a social worker). I know I will be a better doctor for it, and I’m also glad that I had a bit more time with my boys to be more involved in their lives and activities as they’ve grown (they’re now 15, 18, and almost 20!). Well, I’ve rambled on much longer than I intended. Good luck, hang in there and hopefully you find some comfort, inspiration, and encouragement here at MomMD!

BTW, feel free to write me if you have questions, or want to talk privately 😉

Sue

ChandraChandra
    Participant

Thanks for all of your encouraging words…it makes me feel wonderful knowing that I am not alone in this journey. It is one thing to have the support of family and friends, but it is something totally different to get support from people who know exactly what is going on…
    Thanks again.
    Chan

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.