advice for a young undergrad

Home Forums General Discussion advice for a young undergrad

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    DONOTDELETE ****DONOTDELETE**
    Participant

Hello,

I am 20 year old undergraduate student in Canada. I am currently in my 3rd year of university (studying Honours English) and will obtain my B.A. in May 2004. I have several relatives and friends who are either in or pursuing medicine. I went into college thinking that I would become a high school English teacher or university English professor, but I’m beginning to change my mind. My relatives and friends have such interesting experiences in practicing medicine. I have begun to take an interest in it as well…very surprisingly.
    The thing is, I know that I dislike basic sciences (including biology) and will not enjoy anatomy or physiology, or any of those courses that you take as prereqs and in the first years of med school. I also know that I will not like anything invasive (no cutting or anything involving sticking instruments inside of people).
    As well, I have volunteered in hospitals and do not really enjoy the setting.
    My uncle is a family doctor and I worked part-time in his office a few years ago, so I got to see what it was like. While I found that patient contact (talking, listening) very rewarding, I was not interested in the medical problems.
    I guess what I am trying to say is this: I like the idea of a family doctor (i.e. the talking/listening, long-term relationship), but if I’m really honest with myself, I don’t like the medical aspect of it. I guess I just am fascinated by the way family doctors get to know their patients so well and can watch them change and grow over time. As well, they get to listen and give advice as to their personal lives and problems.
    I feel at a loss now because I like so much of only 1 part of being a family doctor…and dislike the other part. What to do? Are there any careers that encompass only the personal area and no medical stuff?
    Any advice would be immmensely helpful!

foreignerforeigner
    Participant

Psychology maybe?
    Psychiatry would be an option too, but you have to go through medical school… if you truly dislike biology, physiology, etc., it’s gonna be tough!
    Good luck, and let’s see what other people suggest :scratchchin:

ellieellie
    Participant

I was thinking the same thing that foreigner wrote. Psychology or social services. They develop strong non-medical long term relationships with their clients/patients. If that is what you have found that you enjoy, go for it. I am sure that Canada could use more genuinely caring people in those fields. I may know someone in Toronto who may be able to guide you a bit. I will ask her if it is OK to pass along her email to you if you are interested.
    Good luck with it all, and good job for knowing yourself so well at this point in your life. It may feel like you don’t have a direction yet, and feel frustrated, but the likes and dislikes that you described in your posting show that you are well on your way.

MelissaGrayMelissaGray
    Participant

Originally posted by charmaine:
    I know that I dislike basic sciences (including biology) and will not enjoy anatomy or physiology, or any of those courses that you take as prereqs and in the first years of med school. I also know that I will not like anything invasive (no cutting or anything involving sticking instruments inside of people).

Gotta agree with the others. These courses that you don’t like are the bulk of med school curriculum. Sounds like psychology or social work would be more along the lines of what you’d enjoy…and they’re both careers where you spend your time really listening to and helping people.

lillianlillian
    Participant

Hands down, Psychology or alike. Maybe you can get a phd and teach Psychology…or private practice.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.