Advise again on my scheduled classes please!!!!!!!

Home Forums Premed Students Advise again on my scheduled classes please!!!!!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    PremedRNPremedRN
    Participant

I am sooo indecisive right now. I have been back to school going on two years now. My first summer took 6 credits, all A’s, fall sem., 11 credits, all A’s, spring semester 14 credits all A’s, off the summer to work and get out of the whole from going to school, took 12 credits this semester, so far all A’s. I am scheduled for 13 credits next semester and the timing of them sucks! I dont know when I can make time to work to help support my family of eight. I probably can make it if I take out 6,000 in loans for that semester, I just dont think it’s smart. What are all you guys doing, in the same situation as me? I already have 25,000 worth in school loans, Im not wanting to go further in debt, especially since I am not guaranteed to get in med school. But part of me wants to go full time to school to keep boosting my GPA up which has come A LONG way from my freshman year a long time ago. After this semester, if I still keep my straight A’s Ill have like a 3.6 something. I plan on being part-time next year for studying for mcat and work then I will apply to med school, Im afraid if I dont get those classes in to boost my GPA, since I screwed up my freshman year, I may not have as good as a chance of getting in.
    I also am feeling guilty about the kids spending more time in day care because of my class times (not to mention the childcare costs), and it is one of my kid’s last year before starting school ( yes, the big K). What to do, what to do. If I would be part-time next semester, I would take additional classes over the summer–but yet it will still interfere with my finances for my summer make-up for bills. Ugggggggggh, please help!

asunshineasunshine
    Participant

If it makes you feel any better, I’m already 34K in the hole and I’m only 22 (liberal arts college!). My advice: don’t take on more than you can handle. You want to enjoy your life, too, right? 😉 Either do full-time work or full-time school. I tried doing both part time, and it really backfired on me.
    Just my humble opinion,
    amy
    (((REALLY HATING NURSING RIGHT NOW!!!!)))

efex101efex101
    Participant

Pick one or the other or you will run yourself to the ground! Once you pick one or the other do not look back, meaning do not feel guilty of anything. Remember, adcoms will NOT compare you to someone with no children and goint to school FT, this is not YOU. Do not try comparing yourself with anyone, yes if it was just you I would suggest going to school FT getting all the stuff done etc…But it is not just you, for crying out loud you are taking care of a family of 8 that is two FT jobs so do not despair. Adcoms will be like “wow” she did all this and got A’s wow! believe me they love stuff like that. So either work and go part-time to school or quite your job and go FT. You have to do what is best for *you* and your family. Do not stress, you are way too young. Remember medical school will always be there.

PremedRNPremedRN
    Participant

Amysunshine,
    It is not that I cant handle the coursework, and I definately wouldnt try fulltime school and work!!!!! Looks like Im going to do partime, or take 3 classes for 11 credits. Thanks for your advice.
    Efex, I know I am probably ANNOYING you at this point. I am so nuerotic. If I didnt have to take out loans it would make my decision easier. It is funny how we dont make that much with the dinky hours I put in, yet I still get no grants. How much do they think it costs to raise a family my size? But I guess I should still be thankful that Im above the poverty level, which for a long time in my life I couldnt say that. Anyway, thanks.

efex101efex101
    Participant

Girrl you would never annoy me because you are one strong lady in my eyes. I just think that you are maybe trying to rush things and it may be frustrating you. I know how we all have wanted to get there and move on but in the long run it really makes not much of a difference to start in 2005 versus 2006. It is much better to take it slow do well and be happy and relaxed (whatever that means he he). Keep asking and posting that is the only way to get other folks opinions which you may think are good or not but at least you may get some ideas….The good thing is that you do not have to volunteer in a healthcare setting you are living it so that is one huge bonus point for you.

PremedRNPremedRN
    Participant

Efex,
    You make me feel greeaaaaat! It is not so much that I want to rush to hurry up and get there, it is the fact that I am struggling financially, and dont want to prolong my suffering. I would still suffer partime as a student, not to the extent that I do as full time, so it is like, I almost would have it real hard for 2 years as opposed to prolonging it for 4, with still suffering but less of it. But I have to put food on the table.
    Yeah, true about the volunteering, but do you know I still voluteer in the healthcare setting? Go figure!

BeckieBeckie
    Participant

Hi

I just thought I would throw in a few ideas.

I think you should definitely take out the loan and as much as you can so that way you can spend more time with your kids and focus on just school. I also think that you are so awesome!! I am amazed at how you do things with 8 kids. That is the most amazing thing I have ever heard of in my life. That is like one of the stories you hear in life where someone climbed Mt. Everest with 1 leg (I made this up but that is what it’s equivalent to) or about Lance Armstrong and how he overcame cancer and keeps winning all those races. You should write a book!! 🙂

You make me realize that anything is possible.

This is what I’m doing: I took a year off from school to be a medical transcriptionist so I could work from home and be with my daughter. I am now attending school full time at UNLV (pre-med) and I work part-time from home making around $13.50 an hour, so I work 12 hours a week and I have the maximum allowed student loans each semester. Things are working out so great this way. I am so happy because I feel like I have enough time for everything. I don’t know if I will be saying that when I get to my harder classes next year, but right now things are going really good. (knock on wood). I know that I don’t have 8 kids, but I’m just sort of giving an example of my situation so maybe you can pull a few ideas from it or something like that. 🙂

Sometimes the hardest road is the easiest road to take. It’s strange. I know you will figure what the right thing to do is. Just follow your heart.

About the loans: Nothing in life is guaranteed, so I think you should take the chance of getting the student loans. You have proven to yourself that you can do so much and you obviously have a good enough GPA to get into med school. So all you need is a little faith that you will get in. That is how I think about the student loans. I believe that I am going to get in and I never think that I wont. I’ll let you know in 4 years if my philosophy worked. lol But right now all I can do is have faith. 🙂

Take care,
    Beckie

PremedRNPremedRN
    Participant

Thanks Beckie!
    By the way, I have 6 kids, not 8. The 8 is the total number counting me and my hub in the family. But thanks, you made me smile! What an analogy!
    Do you have any kids, that is what make me not to want to take out the max loans. Because if for some reason I dont get in, especially due to the size of my family, we’d be in trouble on our incomes, even with me working full-time. Part of me wants to take out the max and just go to school, I would love that….but I just dont think (right now anyway) that would be looking out for my family’s interests, only my own.

lol,
    Dana

BeckieBeckie
    Participant

Hi again!!

Yes I have 1 daughter and I’m a single mom. I totally think the student loans are so awesome. Because there is always a way to defer them and maybe even get out of paying them altogether if something happens. I suggest at least checking into it.

I figure that if I don’t end up in medical school I can claim bankruptcy and I wont have to pay them. But I know that won’t happen. But just in case there is always that option too. 🙂 I don’t know exactly how bankruptcy works but there’s nothing worse than being held back from my dream over money matters. I would have rather risked and loved and dreamed then not to have had the chance because of money. That is just my philosophy but some people think differently.

Take care,
    Beckie

2banmd2banmd
    Participant

“I figure that if I don’t end up in medical school I can claim bankruptcy and I wont have to pay them.”

I’m new to the site but just for your information, you cannot include student loans in bankruptcy. This, back taxes, and child support cannot be discharged. Believe me, I know. So, don’t take out your loans with that as a back-up plan. :twocents:

MarilynMarilyn
    Participant

Yep that is true, even if you file for bankruptcy you still have to pay your student loans back (they are not included in bankruptcy- bankruptcy doesn’t cover everything).

Marilyn

dstn2bmddstn2bmd
    Participant

A student loan is debt..no doubt about it. BUT it is an investment in your future so its not bad debt..its good debt. Your kids are important to you as well and this is very obvious. What is important? Doing superb in school and becoming a doctor…that is a given and also being with your children, too, because those days can never be retrieved. My two cents…take out the loan, be with your children :yes: . Be smart but don’t live in fear. :no: It will all work out…Good luck !!! (I have two children and took out loans so I could be with them more and I am going to medical school too!) If I can do it…you can do IT 😀 !!

From past experience….Citibank and USAgroup are good companies in handling my student loans. Consolidation is also good if you should have to pay back loans prior to admission in medical school.

PremedRNPremedRN
    Participant

The problem is that I would have to take out loans that accrue interest while I finish undergrad, as it is, my other loans are accruing interest because I am unable to afford to pay the interest while Im in school. Even if I took out 6,000, half of it would go toward school, doesnt leave much for a family with 6 kids…….when things come up all the time, I owe this and that….you know what I mean. Heck, the grocery bill alone is about 1000. Oooooh, more advice please!!!!

dstn2bmddstn2bmd
    Participant

1000 dollars….omg 😮

Heb

PremedRNPremedRN
    Participant

Yes that much money a month to feed everybody. I dont qualify for grants, I just dont think the FAFSA people, or my school realizes just how much it really takes when there are 6 kids. It is like if you make above a certain amount, you dont get any help not taking into consideration of how much of that is going out…….medical bills, food, housing, gas and electric, day care, phone……that is why I am more than likely going to go part-time until after I take the MCAT.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.