age for tricycle

Home Forums Family & Parenting age for tricycle

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    psychpsych
    Participant

Hello, does anyone know when their child was old enough and coordinated enough to ride a tricycle? We are thinking of getting my daughter one for Christmas and she will be almost 2 1/2 then. Suggestions?

LaramisaLaramisa
    Participant

My daugher started with a tricycle when she was about 1 1/2 – the kind with a detachable stick on the back so the parent can push it when the child gets too tired. This was great for long walks. She was riding it on her own before age two. She’s pretty athletic though and started riding a regular bike before most of the other kids too.

sisriversisriver
    Participant

Took my just-turned-two yr old out on the tricycle (handed down from brother and sister) this past weekend. He can’t fully reach the peddles yet but had fun trying and will be able to soon…

rugratdocrugratdoc
    Participant

I would say when your child is ready. Every kid is different. My boys never road a tricycle, there are small bikes with training wheels and they started with that at a little over 2 years. But they were very earlier walkers at 9 mos. So let your child guide you.

rugratdocrugratdoc
    Participant

I would say when your child is ready. Every kid is different. My boys never road a tricycle, there are small bikes with training wheels and they started with that at a little over 2 years. But they were very earlier walkers at 9 mos. So let your child guide you.

rugratdocrugratdoc
    Participant

FPmommyFPmommy
    Participant

My daughter has been riding (childcare) tricycles for about a month or 2, and she turned 2 about 2 weeks ago. We tried to buy one for home and it is too tall for her, but the shorter ones are more expensive, and she will be doing a bike with training wheels soon (brother hand-me-down that we already own). Kind of annoying :rolleyes:

psychpsych
    Participant

Thank you all! My husband ridiculed me last night for asking for advice about tricycles on mommd, not realizing that I knew I could get rapid reliable varied advice from the mommd crew!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.