am i crazy for wanting a baby now?

Home Forums Family & Parenting am i crazy for wanting a baby now?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    su4n2su4n2
    Participant

Hi, i posted this in the general thread, but really would love more advice from med students, residents, physicians, and all moms.

Rate Member posted September 19, 2002 11:47 AM
    ——————————————————————————–
    Hi, i am 24 and have been married for 1.5 years. i ahve always been driven to be a doctor, and took the Aug MCAT. i didn’t think that i did well and am waiting to apply after i get my scores. i always thought that i would have children after i complete training but i would be 33-34 then and i do not think that it’s a good time to start becasue my mother went through early menapause at 38. i am considering trying to get pregnant and taking the mcat at 6 months pregnant and then having a year with my child b-4 i start school. this would give me an opportunity to watch my baby grow that i would never have again. i see my friend who had her baby during internship and she is miserable. she doesn’t get to see her son. i would like some feedback about this especially from people who have started med school with a child as young as 1 and have done 3rd year/internsgip with a toddler. i have written out a pro/con list that i will share, but first i would like to hear what you guys think about this. thanx, susan
    ——————————————————————————–

su4n2su4n2
    Participant

anyone? well, as an update i did not do well on the MCAT, and will have to retake in april. any suggestions on the above thought?
    this weekend i am meeting with my Rabbis’s wife who is a psychiatrist and had 2 kids in med school and one in residency. will get some advice there too. i would love to hear more opinions on this board. susan

FPmommyFPmommy
    Participant

Normally I would say waiting until after training is nicer. I am grateful I got to do it that way, but I agree you had better not wait with your mom’s history. A bunch of people in my med school had kids and did, apparently, well with it. I did not really check out the details,though, because I wasn’t even married yet. Good luck.

NickiNicki
    Participant

As somebody else posted elsewhere, you only have so much time to get pregnant and starting med school is a bit more flexible than one’s biological clock. I would do everything you can to have a baby first b/c you might always regret not starting sooner should you go into early menopause like your mother.

I am in a similar boat – but I’ve been trying actively to get PG for almost three years without success. I’m 34, and I’m hoping to start med school at age 37. Like you I’d like to have my baby for 1-2 years before I’d get started. I just don’t see how I’m going to get through med school with a young infant, although it’s apparent that people do. And life is not always predictable or plannable … :rolleyes:

Anyway, that’s just my two cents’ worth! Good luck with everything.

Nicki

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.