Another school shooting

Home Forums Family & Parenting Another school shooting

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    AnnaMAnnaM
    Participant

Deprecated: wp_make_content_images_responsive is deprecated since version 5.5.0! Use wp_filter_content_tags() instead. in /home/s267/html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 4777

NIU is the school my son graduated from last May. The shooter was apparently also a spring 2007 graduate. My nephew is a student there, as are several of my daughter’s high school classmates, one of whom was in a class in the same classroom that ended 30 minutes before the shooting. As far as I know, everyone we know at NIU is safe, but a very frightening time. 6 dead, including the shooter, and 16 wounded. Sending your kids to college gets scarier and scarier.

TexasRoseTexasRose
    Participant

Deprecated: wp_make_content_images_responsive is deprecated since version 5.5.0! Use wp_filter_content_tags() instead. in /home/s267/html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 4777

That’s very close to home and scary, AnnaM. Glad your loved ones are safe.

My daughter is still 4 1/2 years away from college, but these shootings make me feel more and more nervous about letting my children out into the world. Of course, my husband points out that getting on the highway everyday is a lot more dangerous.

I wonder what we, as a society, can do about any of this. By this I mean these angry young men who decide to end their lives in a flurry of bullets, taking as many people with them as they can. I wonder if it’s mental illness that we’re missing. If so, would a campaign of awareness about the signs and symptoms of mental illness help anyone?

fearlessphoenixfearlessphoenix
    Participant

I think it’s an emotional and spiritual brokeness that these kids are experiencing in a preesure cooker world . . . how do you identify “broke” is half the battle – the other half is how do we repair?

sahmdsahmd
    Participant

And how do we protect the other kids while we are working on fixing the problem?

sahmdsahmd
    Participant

I find it shocking that someone who has a history of psychiatric problems, including over a year in inpatient psychiatric rehab, could legally buy 4 guns.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080216/ap_on_re_us/niu_shooting

TexasRoseTexasRose
    Participant

I agree, it defies logic.

alkatzalkatz
    Participant

i think people take a person’s outward personality too seriously. After reading numerous reports about how he was such an “outgoing person, happy, this is so shocking” and then to read about his real history…A charismatic person is just as capable of atrocities as is a “silent, withdrawn” type (like the VA Tech person), which didn’t seem to surprise anyone.

Outward personality only represents the person’s public image. Often times the most charismatic people are pathological in behavior. I think that taking at face value that someone is stable is misleading, and it is essential that we (both as physicians and people) recognize when others have problems and reach out rather than shun.

I tend to think that people that do these things act out of emotion and lack coping skills. Perhaps they have little concept of normal. Like the girl that grows up abused, only to marry an abuser, it is what she thinks is ‘normal’. The media bombards us with images and ideas of violence that if you look at this behavior through their eyes, to them it may seem ‘normal’.

maybe it is a combination of all of these ideas.

on the gun issue, i do not think that a person with that history SHOULD legally buy guns, but did it say whether he had a history of violence or just unstable? upon release, was he ‘cured’?

Americans tend to be really defensive of the right to gun ownership, but there should be more barriers to it if you have had problems in the past. On the other hand, if a person wants a gun, they will get it legally or not…

just some ideas to think about.

sisriversisriver
    Participant

I lived just a half hour from NIH in the far west Chicago suburbs in highschool. Now I live just a half hour from Virg Tech. My husband (I’m separated) attended NIU before he transferred to UIC. He is Scandinavian.
    I hope I can post what I am feeling here – I am so saddened about our country, I am frightened to raise children here. There is a sense of hopelessness. Maybe the hope is there while in school, because teachers are still optimists, but hope begins to fade as one faces or goes thru graduation (?) Our country, big generalization here, is about profit and consumerism and competition. that’s what the working world holds.
    the availability of guns is incredible and scary and wrong. Having lived in Scandinavia for 2 yrs, and viewed the US from the outside, I can view our country critically. There, guns are only available to those who can show that they use the gun for a hobby such as hunting.

And I agree with your post about outward image too alkatz, and would expand on it to say that our country is (too) big on Image too. We need to be able to show our weaknesses, to say that weankness is also a part of life, of being human.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.