Anybody ever think you are a little crazy for going back to school?

Home Forums Premed Students Anybody ever think you are a little crazy for going back to school?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Maria_dup2Maria_dup2
    Participant

Hi, :wave:

I was just wondering – if people ever look at you like you are crazy for leaving successful careers after working for several years to go back to school and back into debt to do what you dream of. I have gotten a few of those and am wondering if I am the only one.

Also wondering what you all do now for a living…

Just in case you are wondering — I am a web developer.

Thanks for your input.
    Maria

momelmomel
    Participant

After ten years as the executive director of a suicide prevention center I decided that I wanted to pursue a career in medicine, and left my career to return to school and do all of my post-bacc premed coursework. I was extremely worried about what people would think/say, and when it came time to announce my departure and plans, it was an extremely interesting process. Some people surprised me in how they responded, and there were definitely colleagues/friends and even a few family members who basically said I was crazy. But what I discovered was their reaction was entirely about them and their own experiences of taking risks, pursuing dreams, stepping outside of their comfort zones (or not). I had some amazing interactions with people around all this, and overall it was positive. Having said all that, in the three years since leaving my career I have had many, many days when I have felt that I was comletely crazy to have started down this path!! It’s been long and painful, and I still don’t know how it’s going to pan out. I’ve applied to 20 md programs and have gotten a few rejections so far, and one interview scheduled. So definitely my biggest fear is that I will have given up a successful, rewarding career to pursue something that was not attainable…..

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.