Anybody from Germany??

Home Forums International Anybody from Germany??

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    neh05neh05
    Participant

Hi there,

anybody here from Germany?
    I’m trying to get into residency, possibly psych in 2006. Gonna have my 1st interview in 2 days…
    Am also a mum of an 8 yo boy:)

Anybody here that wants to share life stories, immigration stuff, in-law fear chats??

Have a great day!

WildflowerWildflower
    Participant

Hi Neh05!

How was your first interview?

I am not from Germany but I did one of my clinical rotations there. I graduated from med school in Hungary and I am now a medicine resident in Texas. I have a 3 1/2 year old Buzzlightyearfirefighter 😎

In-law fears??? :wave:

Wildflower

mamajmkmamajmk
    Participant

Prague, Czech Rep here.
    I have a 3 year old & trying for a residency in IM or pediatrics, possibly psychiatry (hallo!).
    Nice to meet you!

tatnytatny
    Participant

Hallo neh05,

wie war Dein Interview? Ich komme aus Oesterreich und habe demnaechst mein erstes Interview. Wuerde mich gerne mit Dir unterhalten und freue ueber eine PN.

Bis bald!
    tatny

gwenoveregwenovere
    Participant

Are you thinking of working in Germany??

CrazyMommyCrazyMommy
    Participant

Hallo 🙂

I am also from Germany, but now living in Texas.
    Have 2 boys, 4 yrs and 5 months old.

Sandra

l337girll337girl
    Participant

I grew up in Germany (hey.. we all seem to be ending up in Texas!) but I now live in the US where I will finish my BSci.

I’ve been looking in to attending medical school in Germany, specifically Heidelburg, but I can’t seem to find any information on entrance requirements or tuition for American citizens.

I qualify for Germany residency, but I have not applied yet.

Is anyone able to point me in the right direction?

Nan

SAHMdocSAHMdoc
    Participant

I was admitted to medical school in Munich several years ago, but ended up going to a U.S. school instead (and going 150K into debt! Big mistake!) At that time, foreigners paid the same registration fee as Germans- which was around $300 or so per semester. You can’t beat the price!
    Back then, international students applied directly to the medical school they were interested in attending, but the rules are different if you’re considered German. In that case, you have to go through the match with the ZVS (which is like a national clearinghouse for assigning medical school spots).
    Here’s some info about the ZVS that applies only to those considered native Germans: http://www.zvs.de/Service/Download/M11.pdf
    If you don’t qualify for consideration with the German applicant pool, then you have to apply directly with the medical school.
    Here’s the international student information specific for Heidelberg:
    http://www.zuv.uni-heidelberg.de/AAA/
    Good luck- hope this helps!

l337girll337girl
    Participant

SAHMdoc, THANK YOU. That is exactly what I was looking for.

gwenoveregwenovere
    Participant

What’s medical residency like in Germany???
    hours, call, hassle, etc…

How about the practice afterwards…

SAHMdocSAHMdoc
    Participant

Residency in Germany is easier than in the U.S. However, I’ve heard it’s tough to get a spot in many fields, especially for foreigners. Call is nothing like here- Germany has strict laws about work hours and those apply to physicians as well. There is some overnight call, but it’s not nearly as much as you would do here and you get much more time off than here. Of course, German house officers still complain that they’re overworked and compared to the average German I’m sure they are, but it’s all relative- it’s nothing compared to what U.S. or British house officers go through.
    The pay, however, is worse than in the U.S. and that’s true across the board. Even senior physicians in Germany earn considerably less than their American counterparts. There is also a huge over-supply of physicians in Germany, so that makes finding a job a bit tough sometimes.
    The German physicians I know are very happy in their field. However, they’re in relatively benign fields like psychiatry, so I can’t speak for those in surgery or OB.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.