anyone else face this?

Home Forums Premed Students anyone else face this?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    saralynsaralyn
    Participant

I am new to this board and was very excited to find a group of pre-med moms. I was wondering if any of you have met with discrimination in this process and if so, how did you handle it? I recently met with someone invloved in admissions at a med school I wish to attend. He pretty much told me not to apply. Without going into details I was basically told the fact that I am a young mother with two young children would have a strong negative impact on my application (despite good grades and over 30 MCAT). When I told my advisor he was not surprised, he said applicants such as myself are often looked at as a “risk”. I am feeling very discouraged and worried that other schools will feel the same way. How common is this?

TexasRoseTexasRose
    Participant

Saralyn, first of all, I’m so sorry you had such a negative experience! I wish I could tell you that you’ll never run into that again, but it wouldn’t be true. I’m interviewing for med school this year. I have had several interviews where I was essentially asked if my husband supported me and how old are my kids, etc.

It’s something you will have to learn to deal with. (it’s wrong, some of the questions are downright illegal, but I won’t go into that) If you haven’t already, figure out how you will respond when someone questions how you will do this with young kids. Have a brief and solid statement that shows you know what a committment medicine and children are and that you are prepared to handle it. Give it a positive spin and try not to be defensive. You want them to think, “oh, this woman knows what she’s doing and she’s capable of handling it.”

One of your strengths as a mother is being more organized and used to juggling several projects at once. Sleep deprivation is also already on your resume! 😉

I got compliments about my ability to do this with kids from some interviewers and doubt from others. I will rank highest those schools that showed some flexibility about their students! (I’m in TX too!)

You can PM me if you want to discuss specifics! Oh yeah, and check out oldpremeds.net for more info on being a nontraditional applicant. (I have a thread on there about getting these types of questions in an interview.)

Good luck and don’t let the turkeys get you down! :laughing:
    Theresa

PremedRNPremedRN
    Participant

That is such bull :censored: ! I cannot believe that person had the nerve!!! That is flat out discrimination. I think other schools would love to matriculate you into their medical school. Who would want to go to a school like that anyways? Talking about not caring about the person as a whole. I know moms who have been accepted into medical school. Im sorry you had to get shotdown like that. OUTRAGEOUS :bigmouth:

saralynsaralyn
    Participant

Thanks guys!

TheresaW- That is a good idea about putting a positive spin on it. I see it as a positive! See if it comes up in an interview or attack it head on? I couldn’t find your thread in oldpremeds. Do you have a link? Thanks.

PremedRN- Yes, I was pretty shocked he had the nerve to say it. My advisor was not surprised by his stance, but the fact that he came right out and said it. Not the school for me!

Good luck with your interviews!

BeckieBeckie
    Participant

I was wondering if someone ever said this: Well that is an illegal thing to say, and if you use that against me then I will report you!!

That is what I think I might say. What do you moms think about it, if I were to say something like that. I probably wouldn’t get into that school, but oh well, because they wouldn’t deserve me. 🙂 But I was just curious of what would happen. Maybe I could stop that from happening to someone else.

I have a long time until I start applying to med school, but just for future reference it would be good to know how to handle that!!

Thanks,
    Beckie

TexasRoseTexasRose
    Participant

HI Saralyn. I’m glad my post was helpful to you. I’m not forum savvy enough to figure out how to put the link here, but it’s under the Premed General Discussion, titled “Nontrad Moms at Interviews.” ( on OPM, of course!)

Beckie, I got as furious about the inappropriate questions as Saralyn did when it happened to me. However, I believe confronting an interviewer would be shooting myself in the foot, so to speak. I want to be in medical school. Once I achieve that goal, I will do what I can about this problem from the inside. Many of the schools have students involved in the admissions process and I hope to be a part of that.

Getting into med school is too difficult to blow my chances with this issue. I would, however, take note of the school’s attitude and not take any :laughing:
    Theresa

Doc201XDoc201X
    Participant

Hi !

I personally would eliminate from my list a school that responded to my family situation the way this one did. yes, it’s unfair and probably illegal but look at it this way. If you were to have personal problems in medical school that were family related, this institution would probably not be supportive at all.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.