Anyone else with a foreign degree?

Home Forums Premed Students Anyone else with a foreign degree?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    KBRODKBROD
    Participant

Help, this is so frustrating. I am a non-trad applicant (32, mother of 3). I was educated in England and received my bachelors degree in Human Biology from there. Have just had my credentials evaluated and the report is so vague. It does not give me a GPA just an approximste letter grade as to what my degree is worth, (we don’t have GPAs in England and the transcripts don’t give letter grades.) Is there anyone else who has had experience with having their credentials evaluated that could advise me? Anyone else out there from the England in the same situation as me?

Kelly

scoutscout
    Participant

Hi!

I did my undergrad in India ten years ago and then went to grad school here in the US. All my education has been in Electrical/Computer Science and Engg. I am now doing post-bacc premed.

First of all I was asked if I had the following requiremtns –

1) Premanent residency in the US
    2) A certain # college credits in the US. I don’t remember how many but my graduate school credit hours – 32- took care of it.
    3) Lastly, if I had done premed courses more than 10 years ago, I was advised that it is best to join a formal post-bacc premed certificate program. This would help me with the 10 yr requiremtn and also prove to the admissions commitee that I have done premed work in the US very recently (hope i will get good grades) and can take the academic challenge of medical school.

Good Luck!
    Scout

scoutscout
    Participant

Sorry, I forgot to answer the GPA part of the question! We don’t have GPA in India, but a First, second and third class. In addition to a recommendation letter from a prof and more importantly I got a letter from the registrar in my univ that I am in the top #percentile in the class.

I can’t imagine that it is a big problem. Schools here are used to accepting and interpreting foreign transcripts.

MomMDMomMD
    Participant

Hi there,

I’ve got degrees from UK. There is a service that can translate into GPAs for you. I cannot remember what it is called. I will look into it.

Also, some schools require some courses to be taken in the US regardless of degree or not.

I’ll post more when I find it.

Sethina

MomMDMomMD
    Participant

Here’s one… http://www.foreignconsultants.com/faq.asp

There might be others or this could be it.

Sethina

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.