Anyone have an RVU part time contract?

Home Forums Women Physicians Anyone have an RVU part time contract?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    FPmomof3inSCFPmomof3inSC
    Participant

Hi I am brand new here but I would really appreciate any advice or personal experiences. I graduated from FP residency 3 years ago and signed a contract to work 3 days a week under a productivity formula based on charges. Basically they gave me the same contract as full timers but reduced my production goals by 3/5ths so they were achievable. Now, I am renegotiating my contract and the “new” management (this is a hospital owned practice) has decided that I make too much money (the thanks I get for being much more productive than they thought I’d be) and are offering me a new contract based on RVUs which is equal to a HUGE — 20% pay cut for the same work!! They are telling me that they think a part time doctor shouldn’t get the same RVU rate as full time. This makes no sense to me. Pay me for what I do. I’m already making less because I work less hours. There is another part time doctor in our office and our schedules are opposite so increased overhead in my opinion is not an issue (although I’m sure management will argue differently); also I am full time in the call schedule. I am so angry about this that I don’t plan to resign unless they offer me a better deal. I’m seriously considering trying to start my own practice. Hey if I’m going to take a huge paycut; I may as well have some autonomy and something to show for it in the end…on the other hand I have 3 very small kids ages 4, 2 and almost 1. I don’t want to get in over my head and miss out on time with my kids. Then again, in my own office I can have onsite childcare…Does anyone else out there work part time with an RVU based contract? Are you getting less $ per RVU than the full time doctors? Help, any advice appreciated!!

FPmommyFPmommy
    Participant

Ridiculous!! How on earth do they justify giving you a different $ per RVU just because you work fewer hours? :banghead: I do have a very complicated RVU-ish contract and it is the same as the full-time people but scaled down. Are they also trying to screw over your other part-time colleague too? Maybe the 2 of you could get together and offer to cover each others’ messages (etc) to completely negate any “part-time” issue to the practice so they can’t justify this absurd plan (which sounds simply designed to pay you less). I can see why you are furious and comtemplating quitting. 😡 Good luck and keep us posted!

maggie52maggie52
    Participant

MOM in SC: that is total BS…BUT see what they are doing to the fulltimers- they may be taking a big paycut also…but if it is just against you and the two-fifths person then it is time to fight back…they are just cutting corners on your expense…or perhaps trying to coerce you into being a fultimer?

FPmomof3inSCFPmomof3inSC
    Participant

I do think that part of it is that they want me to go full time…but I am not ready for that with such small kids. My full time partner is negotiating his contract also and they are offering him the same contract…they have it divided into 5 RVU tiers, but even if I kill myself there is no way I can get past the second tier…which on their pay scale is only like the 25th% for the MGMA. That means even if I produce equivalent to the 90th% I get paid like a very nonproductive fulltimer. Wouldn’t they rather have someone work really hard for 3 days than goof of for 5? I just don’t understand. Plus, I cover ALL my own messages on my days off via the computer or my nurse calls me. Nothing goes to anyone else to do unless I’m on vacation (and we all cover for each other for that) or if they need to come in — and of course the other doctors get paid for office visits so they don’t mind. I work complimentary hours to my other part time partner so extra overhead is minimal. I am just so frustrated. I’m sending a letter tomorrow telling them I’m not signing this offer. We’ll see if I still have a job. If not, maybe I’ll go work in an urgent care somewhere for a while or maybe just open my own office. I’ve been losing sleep over this…and it makes me angry that they’ve put me in this position. I was reading somewhere that the power big hospitals have is the fear factor that you can’t get a job anywhere else; once you lose the fear of walking away, they lose their power. I hope they are bluffing and will put a better offer on the table. I’ll find out soon I suppose. Thanks for letting me vent. I feel better already.

DONOTDELETE ****DONOTDELETE**
    Participant

Is it possible for you and the other MD to job share so that together you would = 1 full time person?

You might start by pointing out that you are a good deal for them because of the share of call and coverage that you do. If that doesn’t work, would you consider taking LESS call and making your FT colleagues cover your messages on days you are out of the office, therefore doing less work for your smaller salary?

FPmomof3inSCFPmomof3inSC
    Participant

Well, the FT docs don’t determine my salary — the big wig hospital administrators do; so I don’t it would be right to punish my colleagues for something over which they have no control. It sure sounds nice though…

LisaFPLisaFP
    Participant

I’m new to this site, too. My salary has always been based on RVU’s. Until last year, everyone got the same dollars/RVU. Then the powers that be decided to put in place a system to encourage more productivity and started paying higher producers more $/RVU and lower producers less. Of course, being part time, I will always be on the lowest tier. So I get paid about 25% less per RVU than the highest producers. Fair? Heck no! But I’m tolerating it because I have a really good situation (2 days per week) and only one other physician in our large group (>60 docs) is allowed to work part time. So, I don’t rock the boat, so to speak. Overall I’m really happy with my situation and the time I get to spend with my 3 kids.

Are they putting everyone on a productivity tier-type system, or just you? I know when they instituted this system in my group, they said that more groups were going to this type of tiered system to encourage productivity.

I hate all the emphasis on money, productivity, patients per day, etc., etc. My dream is to someday open a solo practice and call all the shots myself but not for at least 5 years since my kids are little, too.

I think finding a good part time position is hard and sometimes you just have to put up with stuff so you can work part time. Good luck!

FPmommyFPmommy
    Participant

The tiered thing makes some sense to me (although I am not sure it is really the right thing for our health care system, but that is a whole other discussion…) BUT WHY don’t they SCALE it for you so it is PRODUCTIVITY PER HOUR??!! Then that would be truly comperable and fair. That is more or less how mine works.

monica2monica2
    Participant

You know, this is completely ridiculous. Sounds like another way executives try to screw physicians so that they can make more $$ for themselves. In my opinion, if you can manage it, you should quit. They don’t deserve to have you. Consider going part-time at one of your county health clinics or at some other government agency like the VA. I have a friend that works 3 days a week at the VA and who makes 3/5 the amount of the full-timers. Plus she doesn’t have any call or weekends. Just an idea. Best of luck to you!!!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.