Anyone Planning on Taking MCAT in August?

Home Forums MCAT & USMLE Anyone Planning on Taking MCAT in August?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    JulieRmJulieRm
    Participant

I was wondering if it is a good idea to wait until August to take the MCAT for the first time. I am currently taking 16 credits and although I’ve tried, I just don’t have the time to prepare well enough for April. Is it a bad idea to wait until August?

efex101efex101
    Participant

You really have no choice if you are taking 16 credit hours studying for the April MCAT would be almost impossile IMHO. As long as you get your AMCAS complete early in the process and you do NOT wait until you see your August MCAT scores because this would really put your application in a late pile you should be fine. What hurts most people is that they do not do their homework regarding AMCAS. Meaning, AMCAS will take all your school transcripts starting in March you need to send them early because it can take months yes months to get them processed. Then, once your transcripts are in and you submit amcas as soon as you can (usually they start taking it around early June) then AMCAs can start checking your application which can take MONTHS as well. So the earlier your stuff is in the earlier that AMCAS starts checking the earlier the schools get your info the earlier that you will hear back about secondaries the earlier that you will get interviews the earlier that you will get accepted. So the early bird gets the worm! Now, because you will not know what your McAT score is until October this will put you somewhat behind because most schools (but not all) will want to see your MCAT score *before* they invite you for an interview BUT they will send secondaries which do take a lot of time to do. I had all my stuff in early (april mcat) and was hearing back from schools as early as the middle of July for interviews early in August and I was accepted on October 15, so getting my stuff early did pay off in a big way.

IsraeliGirlIsraeliGirl
    Participant

efex101, I envy you for being able to be so perfectly timed, I wish I were in the same position, but like JulieRM I need to make up my mind whether to take the MCAT now or in August. :confused:

Right now I am pretty overwhelmed with classes but in two weeks I’ll be done with most of the preparatory classes, leaving me two months of MCAT time (+ a physics class).
    My concern is that I won’t be able to take Biochem before the mcat, nor will I be done with physics (though I heard the third of my physics sequence isn’t that important for the mcat). I haven’t taken a physiology class, I only had basic physiology in bio classes.

How important do you think biochem and physiology are for the MCAT? I know these classes aren’t defined as necessary MCAT classes, but it seems like the bio part is pretty much that. Do you think two months is enough time to prepare? What would you do, take the extra classes and take the MCAT in August, or take it in April?
    thanks.

efex101efex101
    Participant

Regardless of when you take the MCAT it behooves you to have your stuff in as soon as humanly possible. So yes you need to be attentive to the dates. I cannot emphasize this enough. Okay to your question:

How important do you think biochem and physiology are for the MCAT?

The MCAT only will test you on very basic biochem learned during gen bio or organic not advanced biochem, so biochem is not per se tested on the mcat. Physiology will be tested as it is taught in a gen bio class not anything excessive. So you can learn about human phys in any gen bio book and that is what is tested.

I know these classes aren’t defined as necessary MCAT classes, but it seems like the bio part is pretty much that.

Well again, the mcat tests *basic* biology knowledge but yes sometimes it seems very complex but it really is not.

Do you think two months is enough time to prepare?

It really depends on your abilities. I studied my bootie off from Jan-April and did well but not stellar (30Q) others study for one month and rock the mcat. It depends on you. Take some practice tests and see were you stand.

What would you do, take the extra classes and take the MCAT in August, or take it in April?

I would take the extra classes and take it in April. Because although tons of folks get in with the August mcat it does put you at a slight disadvantage for the rolling schools. Due to my anal retentive nature I would want to do everything in my power to have my application almost to the T as far as timing, grades, mcat, etc…

JulieRmJulieRm
    Participant

Efex…I can’t thank you enough for your response. I think, from what you say, that it is not a smart idea to wait until August. I am going to try to prepare for April. I’ll take a bunch of practice exams and see where I stand. If I am not prepared, then I’ll take it in August.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.