August MCAT

Home Forums Premed Students August MCAT

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Mary B-B ToBeDocMary B-B ToBeDoc
    Participant

For everyone here that will be taking the MCAT this weekend, good luck! My test site is an hour away; I went to find/see exactly where the testing room is yesterday…very comfortable, nice set-up. Anyhow, I’ll be there with everyone else, trying to rack up as many correct responses as I can….(practice tests have been the best prep for me). Good luck/cheers/etc.! — Mary 😎

Med4MomMed4Mom
    Participant

Hi Mary,

I am taking the MCAT on Sat too, and my site is about 1.5 hours away. I will go Friday evening and spend the night with a friend.

Good luck!!! 😮 Mimi

spacecadetspacecadet
    Participant

Good luck Mary & Mimi!! I know you guys will rock! 🙂

Pam

Med4MomMed4Mom
    Participant

Thanks Spacecadet,

I took AAMC V today. Did so-so on it, but felt quite rushed for time. I found my mind wandering a bit, and a bit panicky then that I wouldn’t finish. Any tips for staying focussed during the real thing? I usually do quite well under real test conditions, but got a bit spooked by my level of distraction today.

Also, the Physical section is really pulling me down. I get really bogged down in the passages, and then am majorly pressed for time. Today I didn’t finish by a long shot (I think 15 or more questions….) and only scored a 7 🙁 .

Any input with 1 study day left?

Participant

Pam, thanks! At this point, I just want to take the test! I’m taking my sons out for lunch tomorrow, then the pool: they can swim and I can go over flashcards, plus take a quick lap or two. 🙂 My pacing on practice tests has been fine, with the exception of bio…I tend to get too into the details, but I’m doing all right, score wise.

Are you allowed to go over notes during the breaks? I want to get my mind primed for the next section/switch gears, as was suggested to us in Dallas. Take care everyone/good luck… we’re going for it! — Mary

spacecadetspacecadet
    Participant

Mimi: The only thing I can think of is to just make sure you don’t spend too much time on any one passage. If you are really bogged down, just guess and move on. Then if you have time left at the end you can come back.

I wouldn’t try to understand the whole passage when you read it. My Kaplan instructor said we should try answering the questions (in sciences only, not VR) without reading the passage at all and then just refer to it when needed. I think that’s what I did, but I can’t remember all that well.

I doubt you’ll have trouble concentrating during the real thing, but I did notice that it took me more time than usual – I guess because I was being extra careful.

Mary: Yes, you are allowed to look at your notes during breaks and lunch. I hope you have fun with your kids today and do great tomorrow!!!

Pam

Med4MomMed4Mom
    Participant

Thanks Pam,

I never even considered trying the questions without reading the passage…. 😮 . I think I will try a couple of physical sciences passages this afternoon and try that out. I know that some of the questions are just general questions (ie. not really dependent on the passage) so that may really help with my time.

Mimi 😮

Participant

I have to agree with Pam re: the PS section…the passages can get boggy/I can get bogged down in them, so glancing over the questions and answering what you can first can save a lot of time. On verbal, my recent official MCAT tests (i.e. MCAT # IV & V tests) are definitely more sophisticated passages and questions than the older tests, like I, II, & III. I can get through them though, time-wise. Bio is plain huge in terms of what they can ask us, but okay. Good luck everyone! Hopefully, we get to meet each other on the interview trail…Mary 🙂

MelissaGrayMelissaGray
    Participant

Good luck, ladies!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.