August MCAT’s???

Home Forums Premed Students August MCAT’s???

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    CaLiGirL :)CaLiGirL:)
    Participant

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if anybody else out there is taking or considering taking the MCAT’s this August for entry into med school fall 2004. I’m getting pretty nervous about it only b/c I’ve heard that August MCATer’s are at a disadvantage. It would be nice to hear that I’m not alone… :blush:

Annie

efex101efex101
    Participant

The only disadvantage that August MCAT takers may face is the fact that their application is complete at a later time. For rolling schools this could be somewhat of an issue, but I would not bet on it. Yes, it is best if you can and are ready to shoot for the April MCAT, but guess what? many people just cannot. So med schools I am almost 100% sure probably reserve enough spots to accomodate some of these great future doctors that are taking the MCAT in August. As long as you have your application submitted by June/July, (do not wait to submit until you see scores) then you should be fine. All schools will be waiting for is your awesome score. Good luck!

medicine -for-memedicine-for-me
    Participant

Well, my semester is absolutely rediculous! Since I switched my major from architecture to premed for this semester I have to play catch up to get all my classes in. So now I have 19 credits. And I have two jobs just to make enough money to come out even -and- I am volunteering at the hospital 😮 And also the classes I am taking this semester are completely different from last semester… philosophy, art, architecture and english to science science science is kinda disconserting.

But despite all this I am doing ok. My boyfriend of 2+ years is very supportive and my family is too. I just have to take it day by day i suppose!

thanks for listening to me rant!
    tiffany

medicine -for-memedicine-for-me
    Participant

whoops! that went to the wrong post… boy do i feel silly! :blush:

PierfedericiPierfederici
    Participant

was just wondering if anybody else out there is taking or considering taking the MCAT’s this August for entry into med school fall 2004. I’m getting pretty nervous about it only b/c I’ve heard that August MCATer’s are at a disadvantage. It would be nice to hear that I’m not alone…

You are not alone!!! I’m right there with you. I talked to the admissions person at the school I am applying to (yes, there is only one due to relocation issues) and she said that it is absolutely not a problem since they don’t even look at the MCATs until after the interview!!! I didn’t even know that schools did that, so I’m really glad I asked. Maybe you can ask some of the schools you are thinking about and see what they say. Good luck! Are you taking a prep course?

CaLiGirL :)CaLiGirL:)
    Participant

You are not alone!!! I’m right there with you. I talked to the admissions person at the school I am applying to (yes, there is only one due to relocation issues) and she said that it is absolutely not a problem since they don’t even look at the MCATs until after the interview!!!

really? i had no idea…i thought they invited for the interviews based on our numbers (mcat scores, gpa). wow, that’s strange.

thanks for the info! 🙂

annie :wave:

shirlshirl
    Participant

Annie,
    I agree with efex101. There is some advantage to taking the April MCAT (if you are ready) because of rolling admissions. However, August MCAT does not have to be a disadvantage,if you apply early(June/July).
    However, many schools do use GPA and MCAT scores as a preliminary screen.
    I know med students at Mayo who took the August MCAT. However, when I met with Mayo med school admissions in January it was suggested to take the April MCAT if possible.
    You may want to call the schools you are interested in. But try not to worry too much about it. Obviously you are planning to take the August 2003 MCAT.The key is to take it when you are ready. Of course you will be ready and kick some booty!

efex101efex101
    Participant

Hi, are you at Mayo? I will be heading there this June to do research and maybe if you have time we could meet. I am so excited, Mayo is my first choice med school and this is my second round of SURF there.

PierfedericiPierfederici
    Participant

really? i had no idea…i thought they invited for the interviews based on our numbers (mcat scores, gpa). wow, that’s strange.

I think the vast majority do, so you’ll have to check. The school I am looking at has a rather small program and a very intimate application process (I have no real comparison, that’s just what the admissions officer told me).

Mayo is my first choice med school and this is my second round of SURF there.

I did SURF too, though I ended up in Jacksonville. What a great program! Plus I think it takes a little fear out of the application process once you meet the people on the admissions committee and see that they are kind, thoughtful and _normal_ people! Rick McGee is just a great person all around. I would definitely be applying to Mayo if the rest of my life would allow moving like that.

Best of luck!

efex101efex101
    Participant

Yup, Dr. McGee is tha man!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.