badly needed advice

Home Forums Premed Students badly needed advice

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    klimbrianiklimbriani
    Participant

Hi Girls,

I just found this web site this evening and boy what a great resource. Im a 31 year old back in school student. The first time in school was less than stellar. I started back last fall and am having a great time. Its amazing how much I am enjoying school. Im 1 year married with no children (just my husband) He is very supportive. Next semester I will be transfering to the university to start my upper biology courses. At the JC level im retaking math and chemistry. (Who remembers chem from 13 years ago?) I’ve read that vol work or research work is a must for applying to med school. At my level (which is very low) Where and when do I start. Is it to early? What is recomemded for someone with my limited experience? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Kara :wave:

DrAshleyDrAshley
    Participant

HI! I am also a pre-med student. You can get volunteer experience anywhere. The hospital is the easiest, if there is one close to you. I also volunteer at the American Red Cross, the American Cancer Society, Habitat for Humanity, the list goes on. However, the most educational experience for me hasn’t been volunteering. It has been shadowing a doctor in their practice. You really get a feel of their daily activities, and can decide before you are too committed if it is right for you. The best part is that you will learn more about medicine, private practice, how to run a private practice, how to handle patients, etc. than you could ever read about in a book. It is really interesting to take topics that I am learning in class and apply them to the things I see in private practices.
    Good Luck!

bekagainbekagain
    Participant

I had these same concerns last year – and amazingly, several things worked out – hopefully you will be able to find some similar things.

I volunteer at a clinic for the uninsured. It is very cool because I get to do a lot of patient care things that I wouldn’t be allowed to do at the hospital. The other cool thing is that i hae gotten to shadow a lot of different kinds of doctors. It is a huge advantage to be able to see the different styles doctors have and hear their perspectives on things. So, if you coud find somwhere like that in your area, I would say it is really worth checking into.

As far as research goes, I think the best place to start is probably your school. Obviously, any science profs doing research would be the best, but from what I have read, any kind of research experience looks good. I have a BA in psych and have done research with one of the psych. profs. Our science dept is very limited, so haven’t done any in that area yet.

Hope some of that is helpful! Good luck!
    Bekah

Oh, one last note – don’t be discouraged if it takes awhile to find the right place to do some of this stuff. It took me a while, and was discouraging. But I eventually found some good stuff!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.