basic premed requirements vs. a degree

Home Forums Premed Students basic premed requirements vs. a degree

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    dfinleydfinley
    Participant

The med school of my choice requires 90 semester hours for admission. They specify how many hours in the subjects that are required. Should I go on for a Bachelor’s degree or stop at 90 hrs. and apply for med school?

DreyDrey
    Participant

If you don’t already have a BA or BS, med schools would much prefer that you earn a degree before matriculation. Some people here are doing pre-reqs only, but that’s because they already have a bachelor’s in an unrelated field. If it’s your first pass through college, go for the bachelor’s degree to show adcoms that you have interests outside of med school, and so that you have a backup plan if you don’t get in the first time you apply.

bltblt
    Participant

I know of a couple people who started their bachelors degrees, applied after 3rd year, and got into med school. You could try that, and if you don’t get in, just finish up. Statistically, I don’t think that getting in after three years is at all the norm…Good luck!

PremedRNPremedRN
    Participant

bronwyn,
    Did those who applied during their 3rd undergraduate year complete their bachelors though? The majority of students, the way I get it apply during their 3rd year as a norm, with the pretense they will have obtained a bachelor’s before matriculation.

MelissaGrayMelissaGray
    Participant

Most everyone finishes their degree before matriculating. Very few get in with the minimum 90 hours. You can always try, just don’t count on it.

Most traditional students take the MCAT spring of their 3rd year, start their application the following summer, and interview in the fall and spring of their senior year.

bltblt
    Participant

PreMedRN–I know for sure that one girl didn’t finish her undergrad degree. I don’t think the other girl did, either.

bltblt
    Participant

PreMedRN, I’d meant to type they apply FOR after third year. You’re right, most do apply AFTER third year.

PremedRNPremedRN
    Participant

Gotcha! 😉 I did hear of a guy getting in a med school without a degree, but he had like 200 some odd credit hours in undergraduate study, and had an almost perfect GPA with a good MCAT score.

efex101efex101
    Participant

It is quite rare for folks to get into medical school w/o a four year degree, can it happen sure but it is not the norm. With approximately more than 30,000 individuals applying and most will have a degree, medical schools have their pick of candidates. I would highly suggest to assume that you will need a four year degree because by the time that you are ready to take the MCAT it is usually in your junior year and by the time that you start medical school you will have completed your degree.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.