Breaking the news ….to inlaws!

Home Forums General Discussion Breaking the news ….to inlaws!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    scoutscout
    Participant

I was wondering how you broke the news that you are going to or planning to go to med school, to family, especially the in-laws! What were their reactions?

I am in premed and I have over a year to go before I know if I’ll be going to med school. My inlaws seem to think that I quit my job to be home and start a family! They are nice people and would even help me with kids but I know that they would rather I stay home.

shellbellshellbell
    Participant

I am not sure how my parents or my inlaws are going to react. :yes:

We will see how this is all going to pan out, but not for a few years that is 🙁

Michelle

mobymarshmobymarsh
    Participant

My mother-in-law was fantastic! I’ve been home with three kids for 8 years…she said you are so smart to take the step out of the house and do something for yourself, and that just the pursuit could lead to many things, even if it’s not med school. My brother said “What are you thinking??!! – you have a two year-old and two older kids….” I still feel like punching him. It really took the wind out of my sails. I am about to take Orgo with a bunch of undergrads and start studying later for the Aug ’04 MCATS…trying to maintain my resolve. It is scary.

SuzzyQSuzzyQ
    Participant

My father in law was upset. He thought that I should behome with the kids yet still needed to pull my weight financially :confused: :scratchchin: and he is a physician himself. So now that I am in medical school and my family is still doing VERY well, he has backed off and even told my husband that he was proud of what we have accomplished. Basically, it didn’t matter to me what they thought. I’m not in this for them though it is nice that his sister is a fourth year so I do have her to talk to when things get hairy :rotfl: (her did didn’t support her much either).

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.