breast cancer

Home Forums General Discussion breast cancer

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    kryl87kryl87
    Participant

I have been in practice for 15 years, the past 5 in a solo private practice, part time. In August I was diagnosed with breast cancer and am now in the midst of chemotherapy after a segmental mastectomy (I am actually doing pretty well, considering and am not depressed, just seeking). Since that time I have been seeking contact with other women physicians who have faced this. Surprisingly, I found a support group for women lawyers and judges but absolutely none for women physicians. It is my impression that the patient experience is so different for women physicians that it would be really helpful to talk to others in the same boat. I have done volunteer work for a large patient support group (unrelated to cancer) for my entire career; I observe that anytime a participant is identified as a physician that some in the group target that person as a symbol of every doctor they ever saw while others use that person for advice; either way, it ends up that the physician helps everyone else but herself. What have others felt about the patient experience?

NanonNanon
    Participant

First off, cyber hugs for you. That sucks a lot. How are tx’s going for you? Hang in there.

I’m probably not the person you’re looking for – not a doctor, not a direct breast cancer survivor – but I can relate to some of the things you said in your post. My mom, who is also severely mentally ill and unmedicated for it, was dx’d w/ bc last year about this time, and it was my responsibility to make sure that she got all the care she needed and to be the liason between medical staff. I scheduled and went to every doctor’s appt, every treatment, and took her to the er a few times. I was there for everything.

My mom told all her dr.’s that I was premed at Cal, because she’s very proud of that. And the minute she told them that, there was a total change in attitude toward me. For instance, her oncologist takes great joy in pimping me about her condition, meds, etc.

Here’s what I wished the whole time: I wish I didn’t know as much about medicine as I do. I wish I could have just taken her to and from the hospital, and not worried about every freaking bit of minutia about her care. Her docs were fantastic, and I understood that they saw this as a learning experience for me (which it definitely was) but at the same time, I WAS STILL GOING THROUGH IT. *I* get nauseaus when I go to the hospital she got her chemo in, because when she threw up, I often threw up. And she threw up a lot.

Anyway, I don’t imagine that it’s the same, really. But I can relate to some of what you’re saying.

Take care of yourself,

Nanon

docnrolldocnroll
    Participant

I know two breast cancer survivors physicians but I don’t know what support they used. As you know many docs seem to isolate and become overly stoic. I guess that is why I liked the idea of a physician’s only forum because you are right the minute someone knows you are a doc there approach changes…. Write me personally and I will try to hook you up with a wonderful doc in our area…bdintiman@covad.net

snssns
    Participant

You might try posting in POL. http://www.pol.net
    You can post in several forums- family practice, internal med, surgery, heme/onc, ob/gyn. It has a large physician only membership. You might be able to get responses from physicians with cancer or someone there might know a resource they could refer you to.

MomMDMomMD
    Participant

Thank you for sharing your situation with us. We have many thousands of women physicians who visit the site each month, our members tend to have a very sympathetic ear. Our audience is 99% women, Feel free to use this forum as a support group if you need. There must be many members who can point you in the right direction or offer some support. Private messaging is a good way to keep your messages private.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Best wishes,

Sethina

SpiritDoc2B_dup1SpiritDoc2B_dup1
    Participant

I ahd a breast cancer “scare” last year as a premed and I was wondering how the OP is doing? Any word?

SpiritDoc2B_dup1SpiritDoc2B_dup1
    Participant

I had a breast cancer “scare” last year as a premed and I was wondering how the OP is doing? Any word?

DONOTDELETE ****DONOTDELETE**
    Participant

I’m a MS-1 and discovered a breast mass on Christmas morning. It came on so suddenly, that at first I thought it must be a cyst, or a lipoma, or some such. I followed it for a cycle, but it went unchanged. I had a positive needle biopsy and am going to have a simple mastectomy and immediate reconstruction. Not fun, but I’m looking forward to getting this out of my body soon. Trying to decide about chemo — lots of conflicting information out there. Have a wonderful heme-onc doc here, yet I want to know my alternatives completely. That’s hard to do because we have another set of finals coming up in two weeks. My school has been flexible, but they don’t want me to get behind. My post is more of an FYI than a question, but I’d appreciate any comments. — bb

MomMDMomMD
    Participant

I am going to move this post so that everyone can respond. Hang in there – you are not alone.
    Sethina

Participant

(Sethina, thank you!)

Sorry for posting somewhat anonymously.

With all our members here, someone else here has been through this. I’d love to know how you got through, what worked/what didn’t.

It’s hard to study with all this going on. How did you concentrate? My thanks for any tips.

Participant

Originally posted by Nanon:
    [b] First off, cyber hugs for you. That sucks a lot. How are tx’s going for you? Hang in there.

I’m probably not the person you’re looking for – not a doctor, not a direct breast cancer survivor – but I can relate to some of the things you said in your post. My mom, who is also severely mentally ill and unmedicated for it, was dx’d w/ bc last year about this time, and it was my responsibility to make sure that she got all the care she needed and to be the liason between medical staff. I scheduled and went to every doctor’s appt, every treatment, and took her to the er a few times. I was there for everything.

My mom told all her dr.’s that I was premed at Cal, because she’s very proud of that. And the minute she told them that, there was a total change in attitude toward me. For instance, her oncologist takes great joy in pimping me about her condition, meds, etc.

Here’s what I wished the whole time: I wish I didn’t know as much about medicine as I do. I wish I could have just taken her to and from the hospital, and not worried about every freaking bit of minutia about her care. Her docs were fantastic, and I understood that they saw this as a learning experience for me (which it definitely was) but at the same time, I WAS STILL GOING THROUGH IT. *I* get nauseaus when I go to the hospital she got her chemo in, because when she threw up, I often threw up. And she threw up a lot.

Anyway, I don’t imagine that it’s the same, really. But I can relate to some of what you’re saying.

Take care of yourself,

Nanon [/b]

Nanon, can’t believe some doc was so insensitive to your situation that he’d pimp you in the middle of it! Really lousy for that doc to do. Hope you told him a thing or two (yet understand why you might not.)

Take care!

MomMDMomMD
    Participant

I KNOW others have been through this. Please offer some words of advice or kindness.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.