Can I make it to Med school?

Home Forums Mentoring – Find a Mentor Can I make it to Med school?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    EliEli
    Participant

Hi,
    I’m a 29 yr old mom, that desperatelly wants to get into med.school. Due to real life bad circumstances I went trough a really tough last 10 years. Needless to say I managed to really messup my UG GPA (2.7) I’m just now taking my last class,Biochem. (getting an “A” 😀 ) and I will get a Bio and a Psy degree. I’m planning to take an MCAT prep course, for the test in April. Do I have a chance?? What kind of scores do I need? Should I only apply to DO schools? I know I can do really well. Although I don’t have good grades I have a ton of life experience. I worked as a supermaket cashier, a tailor, a retail store manager, a porcelain and crystal connoisseur, EMT, etc…I have gone through illness (mom), the death of my 1st. husband (horrible), a new marriage and an amazing baby girl. What else can I do? I have thought for a very long time about becoming a doctor, I made up my mind, and I won’t give up. I would really appreciate a mentor, I need someone to look up to, to lead the way. Hopefully someday I would like to do the same for someone else. Thank You…a very lucky mom and wife.

heywarddot79heywarddot79
    Participant

Well I’m glad you haven’t given up your dream of becoming a physician. I’m not married, nor do I children. I am a premed student with one BS degree and am studying Med Tech. I think you should apply anyway. Med schools weigh a lot of things when thinking of applicants. A lower GPA is just a portion. If you do well on the MCAT (and you will) that’s a great help. Plus as an older student, they see you as someone who is established and knows how to set goals and organize well. This is something that younger students have to work towards. You life experience is only a plus. Go ahead and apply.

EliEli
    Participant

Thank you for the reply, It feels nice to know someone is listening. Every little bit of confidence helps… Eli

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.