Carseats…

Home Forums Family & Parenting Carseats…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    CaLiGirL :)CaLiGirL:)
    Participant

Perhaps I should just do my research on the web, but I wanted to get input here first. I have asked several mothers that I know where the carseat was supposed to be placed in the back seat. I always get a mixed reaction of both the center or the window seat.

Where do you guys put your carseats? I have a feeling that it’s better to put the carseat in the middle, but b/c of what I’ve heard from a mom or two, I currently put my daughter’s seat on the side closest to the back door. I’d like to make sure I’m doing this properly for her safety. 🙂

Any input?

Thanks,

Annie

rydysrydys
    Participant

The AAP recommendation is to place the carseat in the rear middle seat.

Participant

Thanks! This is how we had the carseat to begin with…

Thanks again…

Annie

CynthiaCynthia
    Participant

Actually that depends upon the carseat! Carseats manufactured for infants and toddlers (up to 40 pounds) are safest in the middle back. However, carseats intended for children up to 60 pounds (those used with lap and shoulder belts only) are usually placed in the back on the side position. The reason is because carseats that are not used with the carseat restrant (carseat belts) but instead use the vehicles belts over the child (Sometimes called booster seats) are designed to be used WITH SHOULDER BELTS AND LAP BELT TOGETHER, and most vehicles do not have shoulder belts in the middle position. It is DANGEROUS for car seats designed for lap and shoulder belts to be used with lab belts only!!

I hope this is understandable!

Participant

My daughter uses the “Marathon” carseat manufactured by Britax. It isn’t a booster seat, but accomodates children up to 65 pounds in weight. The seat belt is used to maneuver through the seat itself, rather than used on my daughter sitting on the seat. In that case, it’s best for her to be in the middle-back seat… am I right? Also, if the car DOES have a middle seatbelt that consists of both shoulder and lap strap, then it would be appropriate for the carseat to be placed in the middle-back seat? Thanks for the information, it’s greatly appreciated! 🙂

Annie

residentmomresidentmom
    Participant

As I understand it, the safest position is the back center… but when you have 2 that’s not really an option anyway, so it makes me wonder how vital that really is, you know? Right now my son is in the rear middle, but when we turn him forward facing in a few months, we are moving him to one side for 2 reasons: 1. preparation for new baby, 2. We are installing a permanent tether attachment (wasn’t standard but optionalin 1999 car) and we don’t want to poke more than one hole in the car. 😉 Hopefully our next vehicle will have LATCH, and then it won’t matter. My sister’s new truck has it, and it looks so wonderful to use!!

CynthiaCynthia
    Participant

Originally posted by CaLiGirL:):
    [b]My daughter uses the “Marathon” carseat manufactured by Britax. It isn’t a booster seat, but accomodates children up to 65 pounds in weight. The seat belt is used to maneuver through the seat itself, rather than used on my daughter sitting on the seat. In that case, it’s best for her to be in the middle-back seat… am I right? Also, if the car DOES have a middle seatbelt that consists of both shoulder and lap strap, then it would be appropriate for the carseat to be placed in the middle-back seat?
    Thanks for the information, it’s greatly appreciated! 🙂

Annie[/b]

YEP! your right on all accounts! If the vehicles belts don’t pass over the child but instead pass through the back of the car seat then the middle seat of the vehicle is the safest place. Also if there is a shoulder AND lap belt in the middle position then the middle would also be the safest place for those carseats that have the vehicles belts passing over the child. The only time it is safest in the outside seats of the car is in the case where the vehicles belts pass OVER the child AND the vehicle does NOT have a shoulder belt in the middle position!

HOWEVER, for those of us with two (or more) children it really doesn’t matter because “they gotta go where they gotta go!”

–Cynthia

Participant

medschlmom and cynthia, thanks for the responses! Now, I know I’m doing it right. 😀

Take care…

Annie

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.