Chief residents

Home Forums Residents Chief residents

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    KrystalKrystal
    Participant

I’m wondering what the experience of female chief residents has been. I’m co-chief with a male, and in discussions with the psychologist who works with our program, she has pointed out that a suggestion to administration from me does not carry the same weight as a suggestion from the male. I know she’s right, and I can’t help but be furious at the same time.

Anyone with suggestions to deal with this, or experiences to share?

MomMDMomMD
    Participant

This is a very interesting topic, I look forward to hearing some replies… anyone?

Sethina

IdfellowmomIdfellowmom
    Participant

I had a very similiar experience. during my chief residency. I was chief resident along with another female and a male. The male chief resident definitely received more attention and positive feedback in meetings, and was usually the one approached by most faculty.I noticed also that the administration was very quick to turn a blind eye to the errant behavior of male residents while being hypercritical of female residents. The politics of the position can be very distasteful. The housestaff also tends to follow the lead of male chief residents. Any critism from him was ” helpful”, the other chief and I were always labeled “bitchy”. Talking to friends in the corporate worl, they encounter the same atmosphere. Remain dignified, stand tall, and hold you ground on issues you believe in. I personally had enough, and resigned after 4 months to finally spend some time with my then four year old. It was the smartest thing I ever did. It has not hurt my career one bit!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.