Clomid?

Home Forums General Discussion Clomid?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    eeh2004eeh2004
    Participant

Have any moms out there had to take Clomid in order to get pregnant? My OB has prescribed it for me due to ovulatory dysfunction, and although I’ve read (and read and read) all of the medical info that I can find, I’d like to hear from some real people who have used it. How did it work out for you? Happy endings? 🙂

Thanks,

Erin

Tangee FoxTangee Fox
    Participant

Hi,
    I’ve taken clomid, but unfortunately it didn’t work for me. But, by all means, start with it. As my doc said, infertility is very difficult, and one of the first things they try is clomid, because it’s easiest, cheapest and doesn’t cause any harm, so you can rule out that option before you spend a lot of money on a reproductive endocrinologist.

For me, I didn’t ovulate at all, and I took 5 cycles of clomid, and only one of my day 21 tests came back even marginal for possible ovulation. The others were definitely negative. I saw an RE after 5 cycles, started taking metformin (glucophage) and got pregnant the same month. Metformin is a treatment for anovulation due to PCOS with insulin resistance. If you are overweight at all or have any other PCOS symptoms, mention it to your gyno and have him give you a fasting insulin test. It’s pretty easy to diagnose and metformin is cheap. Good luck! My son is now 1 year old 🙂

spacecadetspacecadet
    Participant

Hi Erin,

I’m sorry to say that I have been there/done that. I also have anovulatory disfunction (anovulation due to PCOS). I never ovulate on my own. I took Clomid for 7 cycles while trying to conceive my first child. I got pregnant once and had a miscarriage at 8 weeks (blighted ovum). I then got pregnant on my first cycle of injectable medications and had my son – who is now 2.5 yrs. For my second pregnancy (this one), I did six cycles of injectable medications and they didn’t work. I decided to try Metformin (aka Glucophage) on my own for a while and got pregnant my second month taking it. My RE would not give it to me before because even though I have PCOS, I am not overweight or insulin resistant. I had to really badger her to get it prescribed, but it worked a miracle for me.

I would recommend that you not spend too much time with your OB doing the unmonitored Clomid thing. One or two cycles is fine, but after that you need to see a RE and have the infertility workup and monitored cycles. I know way too many people who wasted months and years working with their OB when they really needed to see a RE and get serious.

By the way, I can recommend a really awesome website to you. It’s http://www.inciid.org . They have a lot of information in the fact sheets about Clomid and other fertility drugs. They also have medical bulletin boards – where a doctor will answer your questions, but it often takes a while – and support bullentin boards – where you can talk to other patients, compare notes, and get support.

Also, feel free to email or PM me anytime if you have questions. With all the years I spent dealing with infertility, I know way more about human reproduction and infertility treatments than any human should. 🙂

TexasRoseTexasRose
    Participant

Clomid worked for me and I have 5 year old twins to show for it! 😮 I had no trouble getting pregnant with my first, but was unsuccessful the second time around. After 9 months of trying and getting wacky results with the temperature monitoring, I took Clomid for 2 months. Although I was on the lowest dose adn had taken it only a twice, i did wind up with twins, so be aware of the possibility. My doc told me, and the literature agreed, that I had only a 6% chance of multiples so I was pretty shocked. That being said, I love being a twin mom! ( they just started kindergarden! 😀 _
    Good Luck!!!
    Theresa

Tangee FoxTangee Fox
    Participant

Hey spacecadet,
    Just curious about you and Gluc. Are you planning on continuing it once you’ve had the baby (I’m assuming you are still preg.)? I’ve actually got an endocrinologist as my primary care doc and he sees things my way, that taking it preventatively can’t hurt and might help. There are so many other health problems associated with having insulin resistance (I suspect that you must have SOME if Gluc worked for you and you’re PCOS. What were your fasting insulin levels if you don’t mind? Many doctors say anything over 60 (I’m not sure what the measurement type is) is considered high, others say 80-100 is normal)but mostly, the fact that so many people with it become diabetics later in life scares me. I have 4 or 5 family members with type II, and I don’t want to be one of them.

Anyway, just wondering if you’d considered taking it preventatively. BTW, I didn’t ovulated or have any type of cycle for 2 years before taking it, but do regularly now that I’m taking it regularly. I can only think that it’s a GOOD think for my hormones to be lined up correctly again.

spacecadetspacecadet
    Participant

Hi Tangee,

Well, my OB was nervous about my taking it during pregnancy, so I quit after the first trimester. Also, it’s not recommended during breastfeeding since it is transmitted through breastmilk. So, I won’t be on it at least until I have the baby (due Oct) and wean him.

I haven’t really discussed taking it long-term, but that is my plan. The drug seemed to have “fixed” me and I’d like to stay that way and be normal! Although I don’t have a lot of the obvious PCOS signs, I am still at risk for heart disease, diabetes, and all the other wonderful things that come with PCOS.

I only had my insulin tested once and that was in 1998. My fasting insulin level was around 15 and my glucose was around 65. They declared me non-IR, although I have seen that some docs classify you as IR if your fasting insulin is over 10. The numbers you quoted seem to be glucose levels, which can’t be used to determine if you are IR. IR people keep their sugar regulated, they just have to produce a lot more insulin to do so.

Pam

eeh2004eeh2004
    Participant

Thanks to all of you for your replies and information. I pick up my prescription today 😮 and I’m still a little nervous. But knowing that the results have been good for most of you eases my mind. I’ve actually been ovulating…just sporadically though, and have miscarried twice in the past 6 months so I’m hoping that my heart doesn’t get broken again. I do have great resources in the area and know where to turn should I have further troubles. The INCIID site is great (good info) and I will definitely find an endocrinologist if this doesn’t work. Thanks again for the support. I’ll keep checking back to see if anyone else has any input! 😉

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.