clothing for anatomy lab

Home Forums Medical Students clothing for anatomy lab

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    MelissaGrayMelissaGray
    Participant

I’m debating my options here.

Is it better to have 1 set of scrubs just for anatomy and then throw them away at the end of the semester? Or should I wear my regular scrubs and wash them each day when I get home?

With shoes: is it better to wear “throwaway” tennies or get some plastic clogs (I hear they don’t absorb the smell)?

Any other thoughts?

I’d love to hear your opinions/esperiences!

Thanks

Melissa

EemaMDEemaMD
    Participant

This is an easy one, Melissa! 😀

I had two sets of scrubs and wore each for one week before bring it home to be washed. That way I could alternate. You won’t believe how nasty they smell when the week is up.

But actually, instead of hijacking junk scrubs, a bunch of us bought funky scrub tops, so we had a little fashion contest going on, on the side. We figured since we had to wear these things almost all semester, it was better to look good than to smell good! 🙂

I also bought clogs, mostly because I didn’t have any nasty ole gym shoes on hand. Gym shoes are obviously cheaper and if you wear them you WILL need to toss them by the end of the year. If you get clogs, let me recommend the “Anywears” brand. I wore them all third year when I was in the OR or on call, and it felt like I was wearing slippers. I love them!

Warning/advice to all first years: Do NOT wear your nasty stinky scrubs around the hospital, lecture hall, on the elevator, to the cafeteria, etc. You might not smell them anymore, but believe me, the rest of us can tell you just got out of Anatomy lab. That’s a smell we will NEVER forget! Your M2, 3 and 4 classmates will thank you for it.

Also… before I forget… have one lab partner donate their Grant’s dissector to be the lab one. It should stay THERE. It will stink. The other partners should split up bringing in a Netter’s, Grant’s, Color Atlas, etc. That way all of your books don’t get ruined.

Linda

(Who still has some M1 and M2 books she would LOVE to sell to someone, if they are interested! Anyone want an unopened BRS series?!? 😉 )

MelissaGrayMelissaGray
    Participant

Originally posted by EemaMD:
    [b]
    I also bought clogs, mostly because I didn’t have any nasty ole gym shoes on hand. Gym shoes are obviously cheaper and if you wear them you WILL need to toss them by the end of the year. If you get clogs, let me recommend the “Anywears” brand. I wore them all third year when I was in the OR or on call, and it felt like I was wearing slippers. I love them![/b]

I just got a pair of Anywears clogs yesterday and they are the most comfortable shoes I’ve ever had!!!! I’ve been told that they don’t absorb the anatomy lab smell, but at about $50 I don’t think I want to chance it. I do have an old pair of tennies.

BTW: my husband has been warned by physician friend of ours that I will smell like anatomy lab all semester and for about a month after the class is done 😮 He’s not looking forward to it! 😉

MelissaGrayMelissaGray
    Participant

Psssst…EemaMD…I sent you a private message.
    🙂

LindseyLindsey
    Participant

By the end of the semester I just wore my regular ol’ jeans and t-shirts and washed them like normal. You get so immune to the smell…lol. But we do have an AWESOME ventillation system in our gross lab….so the situation may not be comparable….

Peace~
    Lindsey

EemaMDEemaMD
    Participant

Our ventilation system left something to be desired. The lab was on the 10th floor (out of 10) in a musty building from the 60’s (so were our lockers – books stank too). If the elevators didn’t smell like formalin-coated M1s, then they smelled like the research animals being brought up from the basement. Add the Richmond heat and you can imagine the fun we all had.

The kicker is that we thought we were done up there by Christmas break… little did we know we had to venture up to the lab for another semester to do our Histo labs. Ah, the memories… 😉

Linda

KyGrlDr2BKyGrlDr2B
    Participant

So did you change into and out of your scrubs at school? We are on a block system so that on the days I have anatomy, its the only class. But I don’t want my car to stink 😮 ! And did your hair stink too??

MelissaGrayMelissaGray
    Participant

I believe that my school has lockers outside of the anatomy lab so that you can keep your scrubs and supplies there. I assume that it means that we can change.

I’ve been told that your hair and skin smell. Some people have also told me that they’ve had reactions (rashes, etc) to the preservatives. One more thing to look forward to, huh? :rolleyes:

premedsourcepremedsource
    Participant

i agree use both sets and wash them each week. If you really want tosave the nicer set of scrubs check out your local goos will store. By our school they were selling them for a dollar a piece.

ttmonsterttmonster
    Participant

When meeting with some second years during “second-look day” (In April) at my school, we got a tour (again – the first tour was during interviews). The second-year that gave my group the tour made a point to tell us to bring a change of clothes for after anatomy. She said that some students would wear their scrubs the rest of the day, and they appeared to have no clue how badly they smelled. In fact her words were something like, “After anatomy – please remember to do your classmates a favor and bring a change of clothes”, then she got into how some people don’t. :p

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.