Confused and Expecting

Home Forums Premed Students Confused and Expecting

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Smurf11Smurf11
    Participant

Hi everyone. I have been reading this site for a while but this is my first post. Hopefully you guys can lend me a hand. I am 21 years old. I am almost finished with my asssociates and my plan was to attend the U of A, get a BS in phsiological sciences, and then apply for med school in 2005. Well last month I found out I am pregnant! Very Very unexpected . I can finish off this semester, but the baby is due at the end of August, right when classes start! So now that I have a youngster to think about, I was thinking of getting my BSN (nursing) and then apply to med school. This way, if I don’t get accepted 🙁 , I will at least have a way to provide for my family and still be in the medical feild. Can anyone who is either a nurse or going this same route give me some advice. Some people say med schools don’t look highly on nurses and some people say that nurses make excellent med students. :confused: I know I need to provide for my family, but I don’t want to give up my med school dream.

CynthiaCynthia
    Participant

I think your plan is a sound one. What many pre-meds forget is that some students aren’t admitted to med school….or at least aren’t admitted the first time they apply. Looking for a undergrad degree that allows you to pursue both the med. school dream AND continue to work in a field that you enjoy even if admittance is delayed is definately the way to go.

and CONGRATULATIONS 🙂 on your wonderful little blessing!

LinLin
    Participant

Congratulations on this new phase of your life as you get ready to become a new Mom !!!
    Speaking from the perspective of being a nurse/NP who is now a premed at age 39, it is possible to achieve your goal of becoming a doc through a variety of paths. Nursing is one choice to consider and shouldn’t result in ending your dream. It can be a stepping stone offering good learning opportunities and a great deal to help you to shape future goals.
    I know of a few nurses who made the transition and are now happily practicing medicine. There are also lab professionals, business people, PA’s, lawyers, etc… While each school has its own biases, most med schools value a diverse student mix and are considering applicants from a variety of backgrounds and professions. The most important thing to remember is to continue to develop your strengths and do what you enjoy to keep gaining confidence and focus.
    The practical issues are that nursing offers good earning potential, schedule flexibility, a chance to see how you like patient care, the ability to make contacts in the field to help guide your process. Hold on tight to those dreams and best of luck with everything ! Pls feel free to email anytime
    🙂 :yes:

efex101efex101
    Participant

I am not a nurse but from my understanding medical school adcoms do question the change. This does not mean that nurses will not do extremely well in medical school, because the ones that are accepted do very well, but be prepared for the grilling. With the shortage of nurses this will even be more of an issue when trying to make the transition. Also nursing is a different approach to health care so I do not see how one would be a stepping stone to the other. That said, if you think nursing would be your cup of tea then by all means go for it, I truly think that it is a very noble profession and if not for nurses hospitals would not be able to run (he he). But, make sure that the nursing curriculum at your school encompasses the classes required for medical school, at my school they do not. Nurses take the chemistry classes that are not intended for professional studies so make sure that at your school they do. Like the above poster stated there are other professions that you can pursue before you apply that are equally as good, so go for what you like.

Smurf11Smurf11
    Participant

Thank You all for responding. It’s good to hear from people who have actually been through it. Right now I will just finish my associates and make my decision after the baby. But for now I will keep seeking your advice and expertise 😉 .

Andrea JanAndrea Jan
    Participant

Hi “Smurf”! I am currently taking a year off from med school because I, too, was greeted with a very unexpected pregnancy! (I am 33 weeks now.) So…I know what it’s like to have your “perfect” life plan set up.. and then thrown off by a little (actually HUGE) surprise! You are probably feeling a bit frustrated and overwhelmed, as I was. It takes a while to get used to the idea that, Yes, I am pregnant…Yes, I CAN do this….and finally, Yes, I will be a good mother and my baby will be fine.

Since I’ve been taking time off for the pregnancy, I’ve thought a lot about things like- Is it really worth it to sacrifice so much of my time to become a physician? And…is my child going to suffer because of my lack of time to spend with her? I still don’t have the answers. But, having been through three years of med school, I can tell you that if I’d become pregnant BEFORE ever starting med school, I don’t know if I’d go through with the med school thing. There are other careers which provide a good income, are fulfilling, and don’t require 8 more years of sacrificing (and debt) to achieve. On the flip side, having completed 3 years of med school, I feel like I’ve sacrificed so much already for this dream, that I will have lost something if I don’t continue. I’m still worried, though, that I won’t be able to give my child the time she will need when I am in residency and she is just a toddler.

I don’t have experience in the field of nursing, but I know what I’ve seen in doing my clinical work. The nurses seem much happier than the doctors. They work better hours, and have time for a healthy social life outside of the hospital. The nurses are really the ones who make the most difference in the patients’ lives. They are the ones to whom the patients turn when they really need comfort. Nurses make a pretty darn good living, as well, and they are definitely in demand.

But…the call to become a doctor may still be powerful to you. Have you read the discussion here about “If you you could go back and make the choice again, would you become a physician?” ? If not, I recommend that you read it. It can give you a good perspective about what it’s really like to practice medicine.

Whatever decision you make in the future…it WILL be the right one! There are MANY women in nursing, as well as women in med school, residency, and in practice who have very well-taken-care-of and well-adjusted children. I think the main thing you should focus on is…What is the quality of life going to be like for ME?

“Smurf”- if you need a listening ear about the pregnancy or anything else – I’m here for ya! Take care… 🙂 Andrea

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.