Considering Medical School but Concerned about my family

Home Forums Premed Students Considering Medical School but Concerned about my family

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Trish CarrollTrish Carroll
    Participant

Hi, I’m 24 years old and currently in college, no I’m not pre-med yet. I am a wife and a mother of a 4 year old daughter. In my heart I really can’t shake this feeling of wanting to become a doctor, but I really am afraid that if I go to medical school I will be neglecting my family. I’m not really sure what medical school would be like but I know that people say you don’t really have time for a social life. So what about family? I’m just looking for someone to tell me that I could still be a good mother and wife and be a medical student, and how??? Thank you!

spacecadetspacecadet
    Participant

Hi Trish,

I think this is something we all worry about. Yes, it will be very hard to balance family and medicine. However, it most certainly can be done. You might have to give some things up, such as hanging out with friends or being #1 in your class. Of course, I’m not actually THERE yet, but this is the advice I have gotten from others.

Welcome!

Pam

tammytammy
    Participant

I am also the mother of a four year. I am working and taking my pre-med classes, and I worry about the same things. I also do interviewing for a research study. Already, I feel guilty and concerned that I am not giving her enough time. I had her when I was 18, though, and it is so important for me to be a living example to her that you can do anything you dream even when you face obstacles and others don’t think you can. I think med school and family can be balanced. I agree that there will be sacrifices, but think of the example you will be setting for your daughter.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.