Do you all get discouraged?

Home Forums Premed Students Do you all get discouraged?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    MarilynMarilyn
    Participant

I sometimes wonder if I am really smart enough to be a doctor (I had to study a lot for my A in chemistry…seems some people it comes easy to them). I am a very laid back person too. Seems most docs I know are the ‘serious’ type.

Also I just turned 30 years old on the 11th of this month. I keep thinking that by the time I start my residency (ya know when I will actually be working as a doc and making a tiny bit of money…lol) I will be 36/37 years old! I know that is not old, but man I will be almost 40! LOL

Right now we are living in an apartment, have 2 small kids (ages 2 and 5) and I just get sick of living here and being poor all the time and the though of being poor for another 6 years kinda scares and depresses me. But I know the payoff will be good (doc’s do get paid good right? I truly dont even know how much doctors make here in Oklahoma City). I don’t mind the sacrifices that *I* would make, that is no big deal to me, I just hope my kids wont hate me for living in this apartment for another 6 years and buying used clothing instead of brand new, etc. We are a family of 4 and my husbands take home pay is less than $1400 a month. If it were not for student loans we would not make it.

I hope I don’t sound like I a whining or feeling sorry for myself because I am not, I just really need to know I am not the only one in this situation I guess.

Marilyn

PremedRNPremedRN
    Participant

Marilyn, I can certainly identify. What makes it hard for me is the fact that if it werent for school, I could bring home right under 3500 a month to my family of 6. My husand brings home about 2600 a month…..I dont work that often because of school, yes this may seem like in equitable amount of money…..but we have half a dozen kids. It takes A LOT. I dont know which is worse not being able to make that much money or Knowing you can, but not be able to…..It really urks me, I dont have to live like this. Sometimes, because I know the money I could make gets me down, because I know if it werent for school, I would not have to struggle sooo much. It is a MAJOR issue for me. To have gotten myself out of poverty then go back to school and give up MOST of the money I could be able to make just to almost be heading toward poverty all over again. I FEEL you on this one. It is a MAJOR sacrifice….but I look at all the struggles I went to to get me my position as a RN, and I know I will look back, as I do now, and be thankful I made the sacrifice. Things always seem to have a way of working out, have faith. For faith is the substance of all things hoped for, yet evidence unseen.

PremedRNPremedRN
    Participant

Ooooh, one more thing, I USED to think I wasnt smart enough which was largely due to being poor, without social stratification, those type issues. I find the concepts in chemistry mostly easy to understand, but I still have to study HARD to ace my tests—as I believe MOST people do. GET that Im not smart enough out of your head! Dont tolerate that! You are smart, you got an A in chemistry–accept it, You have above average intelligence. You can do it. I dont want to hear that come out of your mouth again girl! ๐Ÿ˜‰

efex101efex101
    Participant

Anything that is worth it will take time and yes sometimes it makes you wonder, but at the end of the day once you have accomplished whatever it will be worth it. Almost everybody that I know have to study, letยดs face it, hard work is what it takes for most mortals to do extremely well. So do not get discouraged and keep at it..

DO HopefulDO Hopeful
    Participant

I wonder sometimes if I’ll make it through the prereqs too. I always thought of myself as being a “liberal arts” type of person (B.A. English) . . . never a science or math type of person. I’m taking Intro to Chem this semester. I haven’t had chemistry since I was in high school -I’m 34 now. ๐Ÿ˜ฎ I’ve always been interested in biology and anatomy, but the thought of having to take chemistry and physics really scare me!! I know for a fact that I will have to work my butt off to get a decent grade in those classes . . . I’m not looking forward to it. But I’ve decided that I’m going to try to take this perspective on having to take all these sciences: they’ll help me try to figure out how all this will help me learn more about how the human body works. I’ve got to keep the big picture in mind. (hopefully this attitude will help me – if not, I’m sure you’ll be seeing me back at this forum needing advice too) Plus, I have this burning desire to become a doctor so that I can help people live healthier lives . . . if I don’t at least TRY to achieve this goal, I’ll regret it the rest of my life. ๐Ÿ™

I’m a very laid-back, not-too-serious, kind of person too. And maybe that quality will actually be a good thing. Maybe this quality will allow us to listen to our future patients better, to give them quality care, you know? ๐Ÿ˜‰

Congrats on your A in in chemistry – I hope I will be able to do as well :boggled:

I know you have other concerns, and I hope that you will be able to sort through them . . . hang in there and Good Luck ๐Ÿ™‚

MarilynMarilyn
    Participant

Thanks you guys. Its just nice to hear I am not alone in my fears and doubts about things.

Overall I do not doubt myself but somedays I do, Im just human ya know? And like some of you I was never considered a math or science person, but I have come to find that I really enjoy science and have done well in them!

And DO Hopeful, your perspective is so right on IMO. Because sometimes I find myself studying something (like chem) and its not till later on in another class that I realize: wow I *really* understand this because of my chem class, my physio class, my biology class. It all starts to come together and make sense and from my experience the more science classes you get under your belt the better you do, it has for me anyways (still scared of Physics though! lol)

And ya maybe me being the laid back type is an asset. Some of those ‘serious’ types are intimidating to patients I think.

Marilyn

wannaBmdwannaBmd
    Participant

Marilyn,
    I know what you mean about getting discouraged. I know I want to do this, but sometimes all the discouraging things people say come rushing back. For instance, I happened to be talking to my Dad, and I told him that I got all A’s this semester. He say something about me getting an A in math. Like it was impressive for me to get an A in math. Now I work hard for my grades, but for crying out loud I started taking Calculus my freshman year of college when I was 18! As far as I’m concerned that doesn’t make me dumb at math does it? Granted now that I’ve gone back, this math class is a refesher course, but give me some credit!

Also, I’m getting zapped for abandoning my children to go back to school, and eventually medical school…geez just what I needed!

Sorry about my venting! Good thing my hubby is supportive! I just wish everyone could be as supporive as you ladies! Life would be so much easier…when the doubts are your own (which are hard enough to deal with) and your loved ones supported you without reserve. Oh well! Life goes on!

DO HopefulDO Hopeful
    Participant

WannaBmd,

I know what you mean about the perception of you abandoning your children. After working full-time for nearly 10 years, I realized that I wasn’t fulfilled with my career choice and decided to resign. A lot of people thought I was crazy because I was already half-way to retirement (I was in the Navy)- my parents were especially dissapointed. While staying home with my kids for the past almost 3 years have been both wonderful and extremely challenging (a true test of my patience ๐Ÿ˜ฎ ), I’ve always felt like I am “supposed to do something else with my life.” Now that I’ve figured it out, I haven’t told many stay-at-home-mom friends. The 2 that I have told have been politely supportive, but have been also trying to steer me in other directions. It’s not that I disrespect or look down on being a SAHM – to tell you the truth, I think that I just don’t have the personality to do it for the long haul. Plus I really do feel like I’ve found my calling (besides being a mom). :goodvibes: For myself, when I first decided to go back to school, I was worried that I was being selfish and abandoning my kids. Now, I’m having a hard time putting my kids in day care because of my own embattled feelings about having someone else watch my kids, will they care for them like I do, what kind of influence will day care have on their personalities, etc. But, like you said, this website has offered so much support and great advice :grouphug: , it always reminds me that I’m not alone in experiencing the frustrations and anxieties of making such a huge change in my and my family’s life.

premdWIpremdWI
    Participant

Hey Marilyn,
    I know that “poor feeling” :goodvibes:

DreyDrey
    Participant

hey ladies, if you ever feel discouraged, and you want a little bit of American greed to help you out (yes, yes, I know, we’re not in it for the money, but it does help!) go to http://www.salary.com and choose doctor as the job title, and it will show you average salaries for your region. Just a minor pick me up!

M -AM-A
    Participant

I know exactly what you mean. Right now I am discouraged, mainly because of financial problems. My family is totally poor, and I already went to art college and took out massive student loans which I am struggling to pay back. I have considered joining the military, but they won’t pay for my prerequisite classes; I could join and go to nursing school, but I know my true passion is to become a doctor, actual diagnosing. Once I get to med school, getting funding is easy. It’s the pre med part that I’m having a hard time finding money for!

Phew, sorry about the rant! I needed to get this off my chest! :wave:

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.