Do you under-react?

Home Forums Family & Parenting Do you under-react?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    wannaBmdwannaBmd
    Participant

As someone who has worked in the medical field, I REALLY hate being on the other side of the stethescope, and occasionally it gets me in trouble(waited to long.) But with my children, I watch them like a hawk. I know that as a mother I tend to be overly concerned about every little sniffle, so I counterbalance it with watchful waiting. Well, on Monday I messed up ROYALLY! I thought my son had the flu…high fever, lethargic, runny nose, etc. Well, by the second night he started having trouble breathing(neck muscles straining, skin retracting over his ribs) his coloring was fine (red cheeks from the fever) but his pulse was very high. So trying to be rational, I tried to get him into his doctor but he was booked, so off we went to urgent care.

First thing they did was get his pulse/ox(sp?) It was at 88% :guilty:

PremedRNPremedRN
    Participant

No honey. You DID trust yourself. You cant run everytime your child has a fever, cold, etc. on the first day. You KNEW when he was in trouble. Chances are, on day one of the symptoms, the diagnosis of pneumonia would have been overlooked. Based on my OWN experiences with several of my kids, and from seeing patients being admitted having seeked treatment from their symptoms earlier in the week. Besides, it is the cold and flu season. I dont want to sound as if Im downing the doctors, because they cant go ordering everything on such broad symptoms. But I know what you mean, you wonder sometimes if waiting will get you in trouble. Fact is, you did well, and your son responded to treatment. You made a good call!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.