does anyone ever get discouraged?

Home Forums Premed Students does anyone ever get discouraged?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    tammytammy
    Participant

Does anyone ever get discouraged? I find that it is becoming an almost daily issue.
    With a small child (and wanting another one soon), I wonder if I can even afford this
    or if I will be able to devote enough time to my child(ren). Also, I have a bachelor’s degree
    but still have a lot of science courses to take. I really want to be a doctor, but get discouraged
    that after taking all these classes (and acculumating a huge debt) that I won’t get in. I have quit
    telling people that this is what I really want to do because I get so much discouragement.
    I guess, I just need some encouragement from people who understand what I am up against.
    What do you do when you get discouraged? :confused:

OldLadyOldLady
    Participant

I get discouraged when I worry about it too much. I find that if I stick to my guns, I am more apt to get what i need done so I can at least give myself a chance to go and do this. People will always raise doubts, but I have often learned that this is more born out of their own insecurities (ie that they are not brave enough to change if they are unhappy) than judgement on what you’re doing. if you want to do it, then the best way to fight discouragement is to prove everyone wrong and decide that it’s worth it (you’re worth it) if this is what you want to do. Who cares what other people think, it’s your life. your children will understand when they are old enough the sacrifices you have made, and will likely admire you for your accomplishments. Being the child of a physician, I can say i have never doubted my parent’s abilities as a professional. The communication, love and support as a parent is all you need to focus on. Any career would require you to balance that.

lorilori
    Participant

Hi Tammy! I think all of us, at one time or another (or in my case, almost daily) get discouraged. And yes, the discouraging part is to accumulate so much debt without any guarantees that an acceptance letter will ever arrive. To work so hard for so many years just to get through your pre-req courses is frustrating. I don’t know what kind of advice I can offer, but just try to see the very faint glimmer awaiting all of us at the end of that very dark tunnel. You will be surprised at just how quickly the years pass by will getting your pre-reqs. I cannot believe I am finally finished after two grueling years of suffer through calculus, physics, etc. I guess all any of us can do is hope that all of the hard work will pay off. I don’t know how religious you are, but I believe that God has a plan for all of us. If we put in enough blood and sweat our “course in life” will become clear. I did all I can. The rest is in God’s hands. If I don’t get an interview or acceptance letter, all I can do is try again I suppose. I will cross that road when it arrives. Life never has any types of guarantees. All you can do is work hard and hope the rest will fall into place- one way or another. Try not to give up. Even if I don’t get an acceptance letter, I can always say I tried. I don’t have to go through life wondering what could have been if I only gave it my best. You will never have to worry about the “what ifs” in life if you try (even if you fail). Just think how wonderful it will be if an acceptance letter arrives at your door. Best of luck to you. Just try t never give up…no matter how difficult it becomes. You will never be sorry in life providing you gave it you all. God Bless!

confewshzconfewshz
    Participant

Originally posted by lori:
    I don’t know how religious you are, but I believe that God has a plan for all of us. If we put in enough blood and sweat our “course in life” will become clear. I did all I can. The rest is in God’s hands. If I don’t get an interview or acceptance letter, all I can do is try again I suppose. I will cross that road when it arrives. Life never has any types of guarantees. All you can do is work hard and hope the rest will fall into place- one way or another. Try not to give up. Even if I don’t get an acceptance letter, I can always say I tried. I don’t have to go through life wondering what could have been if I only gave it my best. You will never have to worry about the “what ifs” in life if you try (even if you fail). Just think how wonderful it will be if an acceptance letter arrives at your door.

Hello Lori,

I think that is one of the most inspirational passages that I have read in any pre-med forum. It was so inspirational that I plan on saving it for times when I feel discouraged. Thanks. 🙂

confewshz

DuckDuck
    Participant

It’s funny I am very discouraged right now, because I won’t be able to take classes this fall. I will be able to take them in January, but it seems so far off. So…I am trying to keep myself motivated by saying this is just a mere pebble on the road of my journey. Things don’t always go according to plan.

Still, I admit it’s really aggravating, because I was so pumped up!! I have three classes under my belt. That’s why this site has become such an important part of my daily routine.

glennvallyglennvally
    Participant

Aww Duck and others,

I completely understand what you’re saying! I took the summer off of school and now I am wishing that I hadn’t, it seems the farther I get away from it, the harder it is to get motivated to go back! Finances are awful for us and I keep telling myself I ought to just get a job and work this year rather than accumulating even MORE debt. Because in June we head for Spain where I will have to finish my undergrad through distance ed–which will cost nearly nothing. So I am waffling, which is unlike me, but I hate to put my family in the position where there is NEVER enough money. It’s very tough to tell my kids they can’t play soccer this year because I honestly don’t have the $120 bucks to sign them up. 🙁

On the other hand, I am registered for the fall, my loans are waiting for me, and I will be starting as a Junior at the University I have always dreamed of attending…That’s pretty tough to let go of.

Anyway, I have no words of wisdom, I am just grumbling with everybody else. So nice to vent here every now and then.

Val

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.