Does anyone get discouraged?

Home Forums Thinking of a Becoming a Doctor Does anyone get discouraged?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    chickpeachickpea
    Participant

I’ve been feeling really discouraged recently. I’ll be starting classes to fu-fill my pre-req Fall 2004 but I keep wondering if I’m smart enough. I admit that I’ve never been the shiniest penny in the fountain but at the same time I’d like to think that I’ve grown a lot since then. I’m also very easy-going and I can’t help but wonder if this is a positive characteristic to possess in the feild. My sister insists that I’m making a huge mistake and if I do this I will wind up, grossly in debt and bitter in the end.
    :laughing: kidding.

DO HopefulDO Hopeful
    Participant

Don’t worry . . . you’re not the only one who feels this way 🙂 It seems like a lot of people feel this way at one point or another. Please look for the topic “Do you all get discouraged” under the Premed forum and you’ll see you’re not alone. 😀

As far as you’re sister is concerned . . . what does your gut feeling tell you . . . what does your intuition tell you? I have several people doubting me, including close friends. My own sister has not even brought the subject up since I told her that I wanted to pursue medical school. It kind of hurts, actually, that she doesn’t seem interested in this huge decision I’ve made. I’m assuming that she must not be supportive of it, but I’ve decided not to bring it up unless she does. I do have a very supportive and encouraging husband which helps. I really don’t discuss it with friends or family unless they bring it up and I decided not to tell anyone else about it. I decided that what matters is what I think . . . not just if I think I can do it, but do I think it’s worth a try? Even though people think I’m crazy for doing this, deep down inside, I feel like I have to at least try. Otherwise I know I will regret it later in life. 🙁 If you don’t have support in your family or friends, you are sure to find support here at MomMD. Ask yourself if this is what you really want and if it’s worth the try. If the answer is YES, then don’t worry what other people think or say (which I know is easier said than done 😉 ). Good Luck!

PremedRNPremedRN
    Participant

Another thing I would want to ask myself, but not necessarily ensenuating is this: Is this sort of a sibling rivalry type issue, like jealousy? I guess I would just be cautious about the underlying motives as to why people are trying to discourage you. Lucky for me, my whole family is supportive of me…..the negative comments I have gotten were mainly from people outside my family. A coworker challenged my ability to do well having a large family, and in a round about way belittled me for the time sacrifice I would have to make (which is totally my business, not like she’s the one going through it)–I definately decided she was just jealous. She’s one of those know-it-all types…I also had heard through the grapevine that one coworker didnt think I could do it because I have kids (mind you, she doesnt have any and is around 50yrs old)—so I would expect that coming from an inexperienced person-WHATEVER! Lastly, I visited an ex employer who stated how it was sort of a too late for a career change at this point (excuse me, Im in my 20’s!!!)I just replied with how when it is all said and done with I will have 30 some odd years in the field before retirement. And, by the way, lots of moms who married first instead of pursue a career/education wait until their kids are older to start to pursue their goals—-What is the difference as far as time wise? I feel like Im going to be aging anyway, yeah times gonna pass, and I may have well be working at reaching my goal at the same time.
    So, just believe in yourself. Dont let others get you down. Maybe they just dont have the same ambitions, strength, and motivations as you, therefore, you should be admired—-and complimented for heaven sakes! You have my props!
    —Dana

chickpeachickpea
    Participant

:goodvibes: Thanks so much for both of your thoughts. I just feel like I know that I have and want to do this. Especially since I feel like compassion seems to have thinned these days. Or least in New York. I wonder about sibling rivalry. I can’t remember ever being encouraged by my sister. Put down yes, but never encouraged. My gut tells me to ignore everyone and to just go for it. At the same time this is also a bit weird for me because growing up I was never allowed to make any decisions for myself, I was in and out of hospitals myself as a kid so the whole ‘I want to be a… when I grow up.’ Sort of freaked my parents out and I was always discouraged from whatever I was interested for one reason or another. In some ways it makes my gut even more determined to see this through. Funny how many different parts of ones self can oppose eachother.
    🙂 I’m so happy to have found this forum. :goodvibes: :goodvibes:

PremedRNPremedRN
    Participant

And we are happy to have you. Every person here adds a little something more to this website. Thankyou, to Sethina for her devotion. I believe paths cross for a reason….we are encouraged, uplifted, and sometimes when we are down we learn from others that we dont have it soo bad after all, and that there is a light at the end of the tunnel! :grouphug:

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.