emergency medical technician…

Home Forums General Discussion emergency medical technician…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Sytara710Sytara710
    Participant

Hello all!

Does any one have any information about being an EMT?
    -Is it fun? Do you learn a lot?
    -How can I become one? Where to take classes?
    ETC

Any info would be greatly appreciated THANKS!

DreyDrey
    Participant

Sytara,

If you search the old pre-med forums, there’s a couple of threads on that from over the summer.

I became an EMT through my local fire department, which is fairly common if you’re in the midwest or not in a big city. I think they offer the courses through community colleges as well. In any case, a call to your local fire/ems department will tell you where the next round of classes are being held.

You do learn a lot, and you get patient experience as well, plus there’s the kick I get from riding in an ambulance with the lights blaring. It’s kind of fun to “be” 911. What you learn to do really depends on your community though. Those of us that learned in rural communities without a lot of paramedics around and not a lot of hospitals either are allowed to do a lot more than our counterparts in urban settings. It depends on your medical director and the laws in your area. We were allowed to start IVs, intubate if a patient was not breathing, and give drugs like epinephrine. These things are not allowed for EMT’s in Boston where I go to school, but were allowed in rural Ohio, because other people with those skills didn’t exist.

Feel free to PM me if you have more questions.

Audrey

suzyqsuzyq
    Participant

Hi again Drey and hello all,
    I’ve also been considering EMT/paramedic.
    In some of my premed classes I’ve noticed that many of my classmates (younger with fewer responsibilities) have been doing summer internships with prestigious people in far way places like Norway (and other things that look good on a resume) and I’m just concerned about how competitive I’ll be with nothing on my resume but my MCAT score. Since I cannot participate in those sorts of activities, I thought that if I became an EMT I would at least have some hands on experience that would benefit me later on in med school. Any thoughts?

efex101efex101
    Participant

To gain acceptance to medical school in most cases you do need other things in your amcas aside from grades and mcat. There are if I remember correctly about 14 spots for EC’s and yes some schools put a huge emphasis in not only doing well in your classes and good score on the mcat, but on the other things aside from academic endeavors. EMT sounds good if you are committed to it, and not just to pad your resume (not saying this is your case) believe me that adcoms can see through the smoke. If you have a family and work FT adcoms do realize that there is a limited amount of hours in a day BUT they will expect to see some sort of clinical exposure and some sort of volunteering. You could literally fill up every medical school with awesome gpa and mcat folks, but it takes more than going to school to get accepted. My advise to you if you are not already doing this, is to get some clinical exposure, try to shadow some different physicians, and get involved in just one meaningful activity that will bring a different view of who you are aside from grades.

PremedRNPremedRN
    Participant

Originally posted by suzyq:
    [b]

In some of my premed classes I’ve noticed that many of my classmates (younger with fewer responsibilities) have been doing summer internships with prestigious people in far way places like Norway [/b]

suzyq,
    I understand exactly what you are concerned about, although my current position as a RN involves medical experiences, I used to be worried because I dont have much time for EC activities, or research. I work part-time have taken from 10-14 credits hours per semester these past 2 years, I raise 6 children, and I am a volunteer translator for patients in the hospital—it is as needed, so I may not do it in weeks, and then may do it a couple times a week for several weeks. It varies. I just dont have the time. I figure if I am looked at as not being as competitive, then that medical school doesnt deserve my attendance, nor appreciate my effort. Do what you are able to, hopefully they will see the person that you are and not solely what you have achieved, or is stated as so in a resume. I hope things work out for you (and me!) 😉

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.