Ever Consider Nursing?

Home Forums Premed Students Ever Consider Nursing?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    gonnabeadocgonnabeadoc
    Participant

Hi all!
    In a previous post I noticed that mommd member “glenvally” mentioned that at times she considers nursing and I can also relate to this scenario. Anyone else ever consider nursing out of frustration with your studies, time etc.? What do you do to keep focused on reaching your goal of becoming a physician? I consider nursing almost every month since it will take less time than continuing this course. But I feel as if I am “settling” if I choose nursing. I feel that nursing is a great career choice (have nurses in my family) but I don’t want to choose nursing because of giving up to work towards becoming a doctor. If I was a nurse I would want to be one as my first choice and not as an alternative career. Anyone else feel like I do?

efex101efex101
    Participant

No, I never have or will consider nursing for it is a totally different career path. I think that nursing is a calling in it’s own right and for me to pursue something that is not my calling goes against my “grain” of thought. That said I do know that it does take much less time to pursue nursing than med school and to some both venues are acceptable. Have you shadowed or volunteered with a nurse? maybe if you did (sorry if you have) this could give you some insight into what the nursing career would entail. I know that both nursing and medicine have patient contact but nursing has much more patient contact than I am interested in. I do want patient contact but I also want to find out the pathology, prognosis, diagnosis of disease process so nursing is out in that area.

glennvallyglennvally
    Participant

Funny, even though I say I’ve considered nursing a million times (usually just prior to some horrific O-Chem exam) I agree with Linda, it’s a very different career and not one that I am very interested in. So I’ve reasoned it out in this way…

If I were to go into nursing, I would never be satisfied with just the RN, I would work the required one year then return to school to become a nurse practioner. Then I know I’d want to specialize and I think that would be ARNP…another year in practice and then back to school again. When all is said and done, it would be about the same amount of time. So med school is the route for me.

That said, I have decided that if I don’t get accepted, I will become a PA and again, will specialize in some way (dermatology, surgery, or ER). I too am not very interested in snotty noses and tummy aches….ewwww. And I think that the general PA’s and NP’s get stuck with those for the most part.

So there’s my potential career path. No useful information for any of you! I’m just chatty today 😀

Val

foxyroxyfoxyroxy
    Participant

I have considered nursing almost every month, I would start as a biology major then switch to nursing. I will never be satisfied as a nurse. Even my mom said ” why don’t you do nursing, less years and you will still be in the medical field. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER THE SAME CAREER. For me it like taking a short cut and not doing what I really want. I know many of friends who pursued nursing and are still not satisfied. In life we all have a diffrent calling and we must trust God and our desires to fulfil our dreams. My goal is still and I will not stop until I become an Ob-gyn MD.

dramadivadebdramadivadeb
    Participant

well, being as I AM an RN (who is multi-certified and degreed) I can answer you…
    and I agree with alot of the previous postings. It is obvious that those were made by more mature persons who understand the difference in the 2 professions. Most of your families comments relating to “just be a nurse” come from people who really do not understand the professions.

To be a nurse, yes can offer you less time in school to aquire your degree and practice, however, YOU HAVE TO DO WHAT YOU REALLY DESIRE!
    If you change to another degree – be it nursing, business or basketweaving – and it really isn’t what your heart dreams of, WHY? Especially those of you who are waiting until later in life to chase that elusive dream! It is YOUR dream! Don’t let anyone or any TEST steal it!

That said…those who have NOT REALLY looked at life as a practicing doctor…the call, the hours, the malpractice, the not-as-good-as-you-think pay…You should explore ALL options. Medicine, Nursing, Pharmacy, Research, Bioengineering…and others. Does that make sense?

Nerves and ups and downs are normal during ANY educational process. Keep your eye on YOUR DREAM!
    You can do it! There are lots of people and resources to help.

asunshineasunshine
    Participant

As a nursing student, I definitely agree with Deb. Nursing has its own challenges and rewards just like medicine does. Personally, I am finding that nursing may not be the best career for me (I’m much more science-minded and I need more of a challenge!). However, I don’t regret my choice to pursue a nursing degree before applying to med school: it’s a great way to understand medicine from an insider’s perspective, great patient care and assessment skills, and a great “back-up plan” in case med school plans have to change. As much as people tell you to pursue your dreams and go straight for the medical career, having a back-up plan can definitely ease that pre-med stress!

Good luck and God bless!
    amy

shirlshirl
    Participant

As a pediatric nurse practitioner (PNP), I can offer some insight into this issue. I was a peds ICU nurse for 7 years before becoming a PNP. I have been a PNP in primary care now for 8 years.Also,I am beginning a post bacc premedical prgram in the fall to refresh before taking MCAT in 2003.
    Nursing and Medicine are two very different, although related professions.
    Many nurses and nurse practitioners are highly educated (MS,PhD). Also, PNPs may work in primary care or specialty care. ( not just see runny noses and tummy aches). I have had the opportunity to be the primary care provider for many infants children and adolescents over the years. As a nurse practitioner I see a wide array of patients.
    Unfortunately there seems to be a fair amount of ignorance and sterotypes about the different professions. I would suggest to anyone to become familiar with any profession of interest. If anyone has additional questions or comments I would be glad to help in anyway that I can.
    Shirl

glennvallyglennvally
    Participant

Hi Ladies,

It is always interesting to me to see here how many nurses have decided to go back to school and become physicians. I am curious, did you want to be a doc in the first place, but decide to do nursing as a shortcut? (as so many of us pre-meds are tempted to do) Did you choose nursing and later realize that it wasn’t “enough”? Or do you feel that being a doc is truly a better/more satisfying job?

The trouble is, for those of us struggling with this issue who have little or no clinical experience, it is difficult to gain an inside perspective on the many healthcare careers. Sure we can volunteer and ask questions, but we get “snapshots” and/or fairly terse answers. I shadowed an ER PA who was truly interested in my decision-making process, helpful, and informative. His advice and encouragement really made me lean in the PA direction for a while…but I realized that my opinion was being swayed simply by the fact that I liked him, the way he dealt with me and with his patients. So it was personal influence rather than professional. Had he been a nurse, a doc, or even a rad-tech, I think he would have influenced my opinions in the same way.

Anyway, I have found that trying to make an informed and objective decision without real work in a hospital is very difficult.

Any advice, info, musings?

Val

2badr2badr
    Participant

Hooray for NURSES.I proud to say that I am a registered nurse working in intensive care unit in New York. I graduated with a BSN in 1994. I decided to further my studies while I am still young and recently obtained my a master’s degree in both Geriatric and Primary Nurse Practitioner. I was 16 when I started college and was not sure of whar career path to go to. My father suggested initially that I go into nursing ; the fact that I will be able to make money immediately after school and if I happen to decide to change career it would bve easy given that I already have my bachelor’s degree. I am proud to say that working as a nurse payed of. Just like any job it has its up and down, rewarding times and disgusting times. I had the insider’s view of what it is like in the healthcare field. To be in this field money is nothing….you have to be really dedicated. (One thing is for sure one could tell nurses and doctors who come to work for the money and the ones who love and care for patient (BEING A DOCTOR IS NOT AS GLAMOROUS AS YOU WOULD THINK WTH ALL THE MALPRACTICE, long hrs, not to good pay)
    😀 I recently graduated with a dual degree in both Geri and Primary Nurse Practitioner. Howeverm at this point in time, I wanted more.
    In a way I regreted not going to medical school when I was 16 rather than going into nursing school.( I could have been an attending now) But I think all my exposure paid of and I understand and have a better grasp of health care, disease, etc… Not only will I have the perspective of ancillary staff, but also of nursing to be combined with my future experience to a physician.
    I will be going for my premed studies at age 28 thsi coming FAll 2002. I have both BSN and MA. Some people said ” Why go in circles?” I felt sometimes I have wasted 8 years of my life just to go back ad take premed courses…BUT YOU KNOW WHAT…I AM MORE MATURE NOW…I KNOW I WANTED TO DO MEDICINE. I HAVE AN INSIDER’s VIEW. I will be giving up a lot of money working as a nurse in order for me to pursue my dream but this is something I want to do…and I know I want it . For those people who are not sure of what career path to go to…you have to want something so bad and a drean you want to pursue…there will be people taling and giving their opinion…but you have the final say…do what makes you happy and what is good for your current situation.I DID NOT GO INTO NURSING TO SETTLE BUT I SEE NURSING AS A STEPPING STONE AND A GREAT LEARNING OPPORTUNITY.REMEMBER SKY IS THE LIMIT!!!!
    :p I am available 4 any questions…

Brooke TroutBrooke Trout
    Participant

I, too, am a nurse. I am an L.P.N. returning to school for my B.S.N. I started as a C.N.A. I actually began premed as a C.N.A. and was unable to make it finacially as a single parent. I applied to two nursing programs, was accepted to both. I went into a Practical nursing program due to commuting and an old automobile. Upon completion of that program I was enrolled in college to continue my initial goal. Life happened, rather harshly, and I had to postpone my college career, until now. After much thought I decided to obtain my B.S.N. and other prerequisites rather than a full four or five year biology degree.
    Nursing is an admirable career. Nursing has given me an incredible insight, connectedness, and compassion that I will carry with me to medical school and beyond. It has provided me with a great understanding of the disciplines and load of other caregivers. I have most certainly matured and developed in ways that I never could have achieved had I not persued this career. I will allways be proud that I infact worked my way up the proffessional ladder.
    I have always considered myself medical minded. I have great respect for advanced practice nurses, also. My mother in a FNP. She currently is the only NP to take ER call in my state. I totally respect her career path, though it is not mine.
    Every person, of every discipline in the health care proffession deserves respect. From Nursing to Dietary to Housekeeping…we all play our part in the care of patients.

Brooke

glennvallyglennvally
    Participant

I have great admiration for nurses and feel that you are overworked and underappreciated! Although, with the current shortage, the appreciated part might be changing. I truly wish that there were some program out there where you could use your BSN as a stepping-stone to an MD, I mean there are LPN-RN and RN-BSN and BSN-NP tracks, why not BSN or NP-MD??? Well, maybe some day when the nurses take over the medical world, someone will implement just such a plan! 🙂

Thank you ladies for your responses and best of luck in your medical careers.

Val

Valou15Valou15
    Participant

I am an Rn and decided to pursue this career after I realized that my parents would not be able to pay for me to go to school for the period of time needed to become a doctor. ( I would have had to pay double the tuition since i was a foreign student) but now I`m going to school to prepare for the MCAT`s. so good luck to everyone, I say dont settle, you will never be happy with your self if you settle.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.