failed chem 201

Home Forums Premed Students failed chem 201

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    hgtylerhgtyler
    Participant

well, i failed my chem 201 class.there were a variety of factors; i switched schools (from a very small college to a very large university), by the time i adjusted my learning style to the different enviroment the semester was halfway done. i also had to work a great deal to compensate for my husband who was finishing his doctorate. somewhere between work/ our son/ studying/ and maintaining my marriage/ this class fell through the cracks. is any medical school going to accept me with an F on my transcripts? feeling really inadequate…..

Doc201XDoc201X
    Participant

Sorry to hear about this situation but you can overcome this and get accepted into medical school.It’s simply going to boil down to how badly you want it and what you’re willing to sacrifice to get there.

I failed both oganic chemsitry and general biology and got accepted MD/PhD (i didn’t matriculate for family reasons) many, many, years later. I also earend a BS and an MS in Chemsitry too.

Situations like these tend to wear at our self-esteem but it’s important to do whatever you must to get from getting too down about it. For me this meant, not mentioning to ANYONE the fact that I was still premed after flunking important premed classes until I had “redemmed” myself academically years later. I also didin’t talk to the premed advisor at the school where I flunked the classes for obvious reasons.

I also think it’s important to carefully assess why you flunked the class in the first place because at some point you’ll have to explain this to an adcom member. (I hope I don’t sound to harsh but I”ve always felt like I wasted a lot of time because folks were beating around the bush with me.) The reasons for your failure while valid, will come off as excuses to most adcoms so I think it’s prudent to find a way to work in chaos. You haven’t figured it out yet but one day you’ll be able to manage all the things in your life AND do well in school, but these habits will take time to develope. Since you and your husband are in school you should seriously consider taking out a small school loan (You’ll both probably qualify). You’ll have to sacrifice something to get what you want and if taking out a loan will relieve some of the pressure then I think you it’s worth it.

One final thing I think most wives forget is that your academic goals are just as important as your husbands. You BOTH should be sacrificing for each other for the sake of family.

So forgive yourself for this failure, put it behind you and tell yourself that you’ll do what you can to keep it from happening again.

hgtylerhgtyler
    Participant

thank you for your response. on finding out that i failed this class, so many of my close friends and family have given me that “i knew you couldn’t do it” look. one of my very best friends even said, ” you know you are 26, maybe you should lower your sights a little bit..”. it does wear on your self esteem. i would love to know more about your situation, and how you overcame those hurdles. what all can i do to really bolster my application, so that maybe they can see past this one not so great semester?
    thanks again.

DO HopefulDO Hopeful
    Participant

I can’t help you with the academic issue, but please don’t worry about feeling too old to be a premed or med student. I’m 34 and I’ll be starting my prereqs in Jan. 😮 I am worried about the balancing act I’ll have to master: family, studying, classes, marriage, etc. Even though I don’t have a job like you do, I’m sure it will still be a difficult adjustment. I made the mistake of telling a few friends (other stay-at-home moms) about my plans to be a doctor, and basically they think I’m crazy. So I looked at other careers in the health/medical field that had shorter educational requirements, but they didn’t interest me like medicine does.

I hope you are able to work out your academic situation :goodvibes:

Good Luck!

Doc201XDoc201X
    Participant

hgtyler:

I know this is going to sound VERY cliched, but I first sought something “outside” of academics that I felt absolutely passionate about to rebuild my confidence. For me, it was a year long stint as a volunteer at the local health department (I was looking at a career as a public health physician/epidemiologist at the time). I also continued to work in research labs becasue while I was VERY aware that I wasn’t “cutting” it in the classroom, I certainily did in the lab which was proof to me that I really did have a brain. 😀

The other thing I did was I by-passed the general courses and enrolled in any upper divison course I could. A large part of my problem then was not ability, but just plain boredom with the subject material (and yes, I recognized how immature this attitude is). For example, the semester after I got a “D” in organic 2, I got an “B” in a graduate level course in molecular biology :rolleyes: . I also had to deal with the violent death 2 very close friends from high school, so that caused personal problems for me too.

The other important thing I did was to surrond myself with classmates and faculty who would support my dream. I’ll never forget the day I met with my academic advisor at UNC-Charllotte with my transcript full of C’s, D’s, and F’s and told her that despite having a 1.5 science GPA, I wanted to go to medical school. Her repsonse is one that I’ll never forget, and she said that since I had been made to get a few C’s in chemistry, that I should consider being a chemistry major 😮 I never, ever, ever thought I was smart enough to major in Chemistry but felt that if this woman looking at this terrible GPA believed I could do it, then I would certainly give it a try. I graduated with a ~2.6 in my chemistry major, and finished my last semester with ~3.1 which was pretty good considering I took PChem that semester. I was thrilled because this was such an imporvement for me from my other undergraduate program. However, I knew that my GPA would still NOT get me into medical schoool, so I prepared to go to graduate school. Getting into graduate school was another huge mountain I had to climb, so I took gradaute chemistry courses as a nondegree student for 2 years, applied and was admitted to UNC-Chapel Hill on the first try. I thought it wise that since I now wanted a research career, I should get an MS so if I couldn’t get into medical school, I would be very employable. Later, I took the MCAT, applied MD/PhD and was admitted but declined when my father became terminally ill.

I personally think if you can focus on the “WHY” you need to do well in these very boring introductory courses, BESIDES the obvious of getting into medical school, you’ll do a lot better. It took me many,many years to get over how much I hated the introductory courses and do well in them and I think I could have reached the point I’m at today had a took a longer look at the “big” picture. I keep a note on my computer which reads “Jane Doe, MD/PhD/MS 😀

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.