Failing Med School Exams

Home Forums General Discussion Failing Med School Exams

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    DONOTDELETE ****DONOTDELETE**
    Participant

I feel terrible because I just failed an ENT and Neuro pathophys exam. Did any of you have to retake exams in med school (and yet went on to become fabulous docs??) I could definitely use some encouragement!

DONOTDELETE ****DONOTDELETE**
    Participant

what school are you in? Lots of people failed in my school- but lots of people did very well too and were in the honor society- residencies DO look at whether you were in top middle or bottom third- but thats not ALL they look at- just like getting in Med school- I had pretty good grades in first 2 yrs although did fail 1 course also had to retake- but that makes a 70 ave in with 87’s- but 2nd 2 yrs I actually did WORSE and that really lowered my rank to BOTTOM third- sounds terrible doesn’t it? I think that a lot of the people who failed completely out made it worse b/c they weren’t counted anymore! Also my school wouldn’t give me an exact # where I was so could have been top of bottom third, anyway, eventhough it was a good school and I was applying for peds- not that comp- lot of programs wouldn’t even interview me! Then again there are FG etc… who get good residencies- I still think I’m a good doc- there were people in my school who had to rpt the yr and my roomate who was microbio mj from princeton had to take a yr or 2 off then come back to rpt 1st yr, my other friend who was Johns Hopkins undergrad failed so miserably he didn’t return! my class also neuroanat- it was so hard we already had 2 reg sem plus a winter session and this was in June- I was just so tired out- and I can’t do that spatial stuff! I still did well on Boards – just look to what went wrong- find someone who does well and see how and put your nose to the grind stone! I find that I did well by having very long stretched of time to study- by using note service instead of going to class and studying ALL NIGHT LONG then sleep, exercise and eat! But many people did well on the normal schedule- use board review books, they usually simplify things- goota go GOOD LUCK

zahrazahra
    Participant

Don’t let yourself be discouraged. A lot of people fail exams during med school! I have a friend who failed his medicine shelf exam not once, but twice — and he matched in a dermatology residency that was just right for him.

A friend of mine was failing pathophysiology and had to postpone an exam under special circumstances. When she sat down to take the test late, she looked around in the room and found about 10% of the students in her class also taking the exam with her!

You’ll get plenty of chances to hear from people who say, “You should get honors in everything, lots of research, etc etc” and all that does is make you feel inadequate. Sometimes it’s also unrealistic. Don’t just talk to people who think they know the formula for success. Sometimes you learn the most from listening to people who have failed. You will see that failing exams during med school, or failing the boards once, or whatever, haven’t generally affected their lives horribly. :goodvibes:

During my first semester of med school, I was failing histology and anatomy so badly that the dean’s office asked the prof to allow me to postpone taking the histology exam, in order to make time for me to pass anatomy. The histology prof agreed (I was failing her class badly too), but instead of taking the same exam a few days later, I had to sit down with her and take a cumulative histology exam, orally! It completely ruined my Christmas break.

As a result, I got a great knowledge of histology and aced pathology after that. 😎

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.