Family Practice

Home Forums Medical Specialties Family Practice

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    maggie52maggie52
    Participant

Wondering what everyone’s scope of practice is and what parts of the country you are in…( ie procedures, OB or not, hospital rounds or not, etc.)

theweebeetheweebee
    Participant

I’m in Upstate New York. No OB; we do hospital rounds (I personally wish we’d have the hospitalist group take over, but I’m out-voted by my group). I do moles/sebaceous cysts/skin tags/warts/basic suturing, also endometrial biopsies. Got good at sigs in training, but no scope at the office. Need to get trained in colpo’s (didn’t do enough inresidency to feel comfortable).

maggie52maggie52
    Participant

I am from upstate NY originally…obviously did a lot of rotations w/ FP around there…you could
    suggest what we have (one of you is hospitalist all week and never sees the office) and then you rotate…that way you get the best of both worlds without being bothered with calls/pages all the time

maggie52maggie52
    Participant

I agree- that’s why I’ll drop OB someday

FPmommyto2FPmommyto2
    Participant

I’m in the SF Bay Area. I do OB, colpo’s, skin procedures, EMB’s, casting, ER stuff for my own patients, hospital rounding. I’d love it if could hand off all my hospital work (except OB)to a hospitalist – but its really frowned upon by my group.

Maybe I should move to Wisconsin – the money really sucks here and the cost of living is terrible. :rolleyes:

maggie52maggie52
    Participant

I have interviewed at places that use a hospitalist system but I’d get nervous that I would lose my inpatient abilites…

FPmommyto2FPmommyto2
    Participant

HOnestly, I’d be OK with it if I “lost” my acute care general medicine hospital skills. I really don’t admit very many people – maybe 3 a month – (I have a pretty young and healthy practice) so those skills are slowly eroding anyway. FP is so all-encompassing, I will never feel like I’m good enough at all of it. I’d rather concentrate on OB, and office practice with the procedures I already do (and maybe add LEEP). All the studies I’ve read show that hospitalists do a “better” job anyway (they’re going to be well versed in the most up-to-date standards of care, etc). I’d love to be able to play the role of a peripherally involved primary doc, make social visits, and help the patient and family understand what’s going on in the hospital.

LisaFPLisaFP
    Participant

I’m in Arkansas and am working part time, 2 days a week. I’ve used the hospitalist service at our hospital for the past 1 1/2 years and it is great! I still take call with my call group and do some admissions, so I stay a little in touch that way. I do feel like my contact with the other docs is slowly eroding, but right now with 3 small kids I wouldn’t have it any other way.

FPmommyto2: Maybe you could use the hospitalists even if your group doesn’t. That’s what I do. The rest of my call group sees their own patients. The hospitalists pick up mine the next day. It works out fine.

melcmelc
    Participant

I’m in Ohio, almost strictly outpatient. I do skin procedures, lots of gynecology, EMB and colpos. We have IM’s in our group that do our hospital work, which has been really nice. I however recently read a comment from a doc that in some places if you stop inpatient medicine you could get denied hospital priviledges and be required to do more training. 😮 That scared me because I don’t want to limit my options for the future. Anyone heard/experienced similar?

maggie52maggie52
    Participant

melc- I can def hear a hospital asking the question of whether you’ve done inpt medicine lately, and if you said no they’d raise their eyebrows. ANd they should I suppose bc running a code if you haven;t thought about an ICU in five yrs would be scary…but I agree that I would be tempted to drop OB and critical care stuff, but get worried later if I ever thought of rturning to “doing-it-all”…

FPmommyto2FPmommyto2
    Participant

LisaFP – unfortunately, the hospital next to my office (where most of the admissions are) does not have a hospitalist system. What’s worse is that all active staff are required to take “ER Back-up” call 2 times a month, where we essentially act as hospitalists for no-doc patients.

The 2 larger hospitals in the next town over (where I have “courtesy” priveleges) have hospitalists – which I use without apology.

Don’t get me wrong – I love my practice – its just that I love my family and would like to spend more time at home 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.