Family Practicioner and OB/GYN

Home Forums Premed Students Family Practicioner and OB/GYN

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Laura_ParkerLaura_Parker
    Participant

I am still pre med, but to become a Family Prac and OB/GYN does that require extra years of residency, than the regular 3 yrs with OB/GYN?
    I haven’t been able to find any good resources online about the combined professions, maybe someone with experience or at least the knowledge of this could give me some tips!
    appreciate it! 🙂

MTaylorMTaylor
    Participant

Laura, why do you want to do OB/Gyn and FP?

You could simply do FP and deliver babies…and see women for paps & routine gyn health maintence, etc.

Do you want to do gyn surgery…or gyn oncology…or high risk OB…then you’ll want to be double boarded…maybe…

Laura_ParkerLaura_Parker
    Participant

I didn’t know that I could be be FT and then also deliver babies and do paps. That is what I want to do! I wanted to do OB/GYN origionally, but then i found out you don’t get to interact with the babies. I want to work with all ages.
    Thanks!

MTaylorMTaylor
    Participant

Family practice sounds like what you want to do…based on what you’ve shared.

OB/GYN you’ll be able to operate…and subspecialize, etc. But if you wanna do primary care…

and work with all ages…

…but not in the ER (which I recommend you consider 😉 … just kidding)

…FP fits the description.

Laura_ParkerLaura_Parker
    Participant

Mya what specialty are you interested in?

MTaylorMTaylor
    Participant

I am an ER doc, and I love it!!

Laura_ParkerLaura_Parker
    Participant

You work in ER? Wow. I bet you’ve seen some pretty messy stuff. Are you working on your own now, or are you still in residency? what year?

tuscany_bridgestuscany_bridges
    Participant

I am like Laura. I seriously want to do OB/GYN [preferbly OB]. I also want to do neonatology. Does neo. have a surgery component? How many years of residency will i have to do?

EM momEM mom
    Participant

OB/gyn and neonatalogy are two completely different specialties.

Ob/gyn cares primarily for the mother and the fetus previous to birth (but not the baby after birth). It is a 4 year residency and encompasses things like paps, gyn onc, OB and perinatology, gyn surgery such as hysterectomies. There are many fellowships (of differing lengths) available including gyn onc, maternal/fetal medicine, urodynamics, etc.

Neonatology is a fellowship after a residency in pediatrics. Neonatologists care only for the baby, not for the mother. Pediatrics is a 3 year residency and neonatology is another couple of years (2? 3? pedi docs help me out here…). You will do some procedures as a neonatologist, but the person who does neonatal surgery is a pediatric surgeon (5 years of general surgery residency and then 2 years of pediatric surgery fellowship).

hope this helps!

texasmommytexasmommy
    Participant

This is all good advice, but I’d like to go back to the original question….

What does anyone know about PF residency and a fellowship in OB/GYN?

In my area, hospitals do not give “OB admitting rights” to FPs. It’s just not the way it is done here. I have FP friends who are frustrated, but resigned to the fact that they arent’ allowed to do OB. I want to stay in my area, so moving to a place that does things differently isn’t an option. (I’m DONE with moving!)

Like Laura, when I “get there” (and it seems it will take 100 years the way things are going) I want to offer Primary Care and “do babies”. It seems I need the extra training… any thoughts?

kthoms0319kthoms0319
    Participant

I did my residency in Family Practice in Rockford, Illinois. One of the hospitals there did a fellowship in OB, which would train you to do c-sections, etc. Try:

http://www.aafp.org/residencies/felobst.html

That should give you a listing. Good luck! If you choose to practice in a smaller community, you will have more options, as well.
    :yes: K

tuscany_bridgestuscany_bridges
    Participant

THANKS!! That helped.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.