Feedback for Will Chamberlain

Home Forums General Discussion Feedback for Will Chamberlain

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    MomMDMomMD
    Participant

Please leave messages for her here! This is her article.

Footer 01

DONOTDELETE ****DONOTDELETE**
    Participant

Hi Wendy. I read your inspiring posts and I say to you RIGHT ON! You’re amazing for following your dreams. I wish I had your strength. I, too, put my happiness into my marriage, my family. I have 3 girls under the age of 12 and that’s difficult enough. But I lost myself. I’m 42 and just realizing that I’ve been trying to find my happiness somewhere besides home. It’s a lonely road, but my kids are GREAT and I have much to be thankful for. I’ve been through many trails and tribulations also but I will survive. Thank you for your thoughts and feelings and keep up your posts. I’d love to hear how you’re doing. No matter what we believe about not pleasing everyone, I think we are Wonder Women because we know men could never handle what we do just because we know if we don’t do it, no one else will, and it’s the right thing, whatever it may be! Being honest, being good to yourself, those things make you a great mom. We are human, we aren’t perfect but as women we sure to do try! 🙂 Have a great day and enjoy the holidays! Don’t be hard on yourself for taking time for yourself because you know you deserve it! If we don’t do it for ourselves, who will? Take care! A single mother struggling to find strength sharing a bond with you if only online and in spirit! Be well… GW :wave:

MickeyMickey
    Participant

Dear Wendy “Will” Chamberlain,
    I hope you get this message. I just want you to pray that I get into medical school. :crossfingers: I’m not a father or anything like that. I’m a 22/M currently enrolled in the Nursing Program. I am in my second semester. Last week I was sent to a clinic in Huntington Beach where I finally realized that Nursing cannot be my profession. When I used to watch the surgeries during my rotations into the OR, my pulse would rise and I would get a rush of adrenaline. Watching the MD make incisions, I would think, “if only I could ever do that.” It kills me to know that, as a nurse, I would never be allow to do suck a thing. Finally, after watching a g-tube be placed into an infant, I thought to myself, “I KNOW I can do that!” I began to reevaluate my goals, granted, I am 22, feel like I have stuck myself in a dead-end situation. My grades do not reflect the person I have become. I cared very little about grades when I graduated from high school, and my early college grades reflected that. :crossfingers: into a Medical School when the time comes. My plan is to finish the ADN program over here and then begin once again to retake the prerequesites for Medical School that I once did so poorly in.

If anyone else out there is reading this, please pray for me too. :grouphug:

Participant

Dear Wendy “Will” Chamberlain,

I came to this web site mainly because I saw a news story discuss it, and I realized I may find encouraging news. And so I did, thanks for sharing your triumphs and tribulations. I (42yr Man)come from a family of doctors (Dad, 3 brothers, Sis is a dentist, cousin, uncle) and the expectation was to become a doctor too. Only I did not have the strong desire to succeed in that journey at that time, and now I do. I had hoped that in coming here I can find (please do not cring) older students who were making the choice to become medical students / doctors, and you certainly have gotten me excited about those prospects. It is to bad that relationships which were part of the reason which delayed my entering into medical school earlier, just plain insecurities of mine, also struck a familiar cord. You have insired me, and I am thankful for this web site for bringing that forth. Certainly would like to read when you would graduate just to say hooray for the good ones! I can be reached at Lvilla_fl@hotmail.com Only thought that since you were kind enough to share your info I should share mine too. Thank you once again.

Kimberli BoldKimberli Bold
    Participant

Your post really encourages me 😀 , even though you sound quite tired in the update 😉

Thank you so much for sharing your life and story!

EKMEKM
    Participant

Wow, that is just the story that I needed to read today. Holy cow, that woman is strong!! 🙂 I had never read that before and that is a really cool story! 🙂 Erin

Participant

Wow! Wendy! You are incredible. I work for hospital in the south US and also in the pathology dept. I find everything about the medical field to be totally fascinating and just wish I had come to this realization 20 years ago. I am a 40 year old married mother of one and spent close to 20 years following my husband around the US as a military wife. Going back to college was something I wanted to do but between basic training, moving, tech school, moving, first assignment, moving, baby, second assignment, moving, etc, etc, etc…..(you get the picture) it just never seemed to happen. The timing was just not right. Now, I am trying to decide if I am just to old to be of any use anymore. I deal with med students all day and feel totally stupid for even thinking that I could be one of them. What do you think?? Is 40 to old to be starting this whole process?

Thanks for your post! You are such an encouragement. You did sound tired but keep your chin up. I tell the students all the time….”you can do it”!!! “You CAN DO IT”!!!

CabinbuilderCabinbuilder
    Participant

A woman after my own heart. ‘Tis true about divorce/death of a spouse. Nothing is ever set in stone except for your dreams. My own husband left me after 12 years because of the medical school “fantasy”. I laugh every day that he scrounges to make ends meet still with his new, adultress wife, 4 kids to support and a dead end job. I say he can call me “doctor”. No relationship is ever for certain although we hope it will be. I am 36 and feel pretty much as you do. The work is overwhelming but I see my kids every day. My new husband now is supportive and I do what I need to do, for me. Others throw their negativity, “you’re a bad mother”, snide hateful comments my way. I just laugh, because I have happy kids, I’m doing what I want, and I know that dreams do come true. We come so far and yet as you have said, women let others pile the guilt on and don’t seem to know how to break away from that oppressiveness burned into the psyche. Society is changing one strong woman at a time. I am glad to be one of those who will change the world for those who flail in the darkness of despair and forge the path to greatness, kindness, and good will. Hat’s off.

BLeeBLee
    Participant

I was just wondering if this was the Wendy Chamberlin who went to high school at John Jay in Cross River, NY.?

RobertRobert
    Participant

Kudos to you Will! I am a 38 year old father of two and husband of 15 years. I work for American Airlines as an aircraft mechanic 40 hours a week; 8 Friday, 16 Sat, 16 Sun. I start full time in my sophmore/junior year with a partial academic scholarship to TCU on 8/24/05 . I intend to earn my BSN and then my CRNA.
    Your story caused me to reconsider that goal. I see no obstacle, age or current career, that would stop me from achieving an MD.
    I have a couple of months before I have to make a decision. I have many things to consider but you have truly inspired me.

Dental -MomDental-Mom
    Participant

Robert, you can do it! Why not? Go for it specialy if you have older children that can take care of themselves. Read journals from other dads and you will be amazed at how much one can do even with family.

I know this dental student father of 3 girls ages 3, 2 and a baby that just started school. He writes almost every day for the predental students about his school experience….

Check out http://www.studentdoctor.net too.

MomMD.com is my number 1 resource to survive the next 8 years of school!

Good luck and see you at the top!

Dental mom 😀

mommadocmommadoc
    Participant

Wendy,

Thank you for your story. I am also a single parent. I am retaking my prereq’s soon. I began school as a very immature 17 year old, and performed poorly in my early college years. My overall GPA is currently a 2.2
    I have many obstacles to overcome. I am 34 years old. I have really been worrying about whether I should apply now or wait. Which school did you graduate from? What is the schedule for medical students really like? My girls are used to me working full-time and going to school. I do you handle child care? I have family support where I live, but I will have to move to attend medical school. I have considered a nanny, but am unsure. How are the hours of residency really like? I have nightmares of not seeing my daughters for days on end, and destroying their childhood. Please help. I need info that it is possible to attend medical school as a single parent.

cynthia owencynthia owen
    Participant

Will
    First, how are you?
    From way back when we met, I knew you would reach what ever dream you wanted and have always been proud of knowing you. If you get this message e-mail me so we can be back in touch. With my love to you always Cynthia ssyynnthia@aol.com

acousticacoustic
    Participant

Glad I found this. Been feeling pretty isolated in my thoughts about medical school. I’m 41, divorced for about a year, been in the finance sector for the past 15 years. Not a mom, just some dude that loved these stories. You guys have so much drive and strength, has encouraged me to tackle this with no fear.

acousticacoustic
    Participant

Glad I found this. Been feeling pretty isolated in my thoughts about medical school. I’m 41, divorced for about a year, been in the finance sector for the past 15 years. Not a mom, just some dude that loved these stories. You guys have so much drive and strength, has encouraged me to tackle this with no fear.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.