Fellow MS3/MS4s – any advice? Pregnant & confused!

Home Forums Medical Students Fellow MS3/MS4s – any advice? Pregnant & confused!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    AlmostMSIVAlmostMSIV
    Participant

Good morning!

I am an MSIII/soon to be MSIV, and I recently found out my husband and I are expecting a baby in November. While we are excited, we are also very aware that the timing really forces me into delaying my graduation so that I can take the needed time to recover (baby numero uno for us), and figure out my career path.

Up until now, I have been wholeheartedly OBGYN-focused. On my OBGYN rotation, I was pregnant, suffering first trimester exhaustion/nausea, had all the feelings, etc… Honestly, it made me reconsider my interests. I had a solid service on Family Med, and really enjoyed that I could see some female patients, do some procedures, but have a somewhat “regular” schedule. The thought of being on OBGYN service in private practice, taking call, paying huge malpractice rates, and sometimes suffering through little sleep no longer sounds as appealing to me as it once did. I really enjoy the OR, but I am not a die-hard-must-have-the-OR to survive kind of person, so it leaves me guessing.

Additional background – my husband is a non physician, has a great professional income, and works from home a large portion of the week. In terms of making a FM salary work, I would not be the sole income provider in our house, and I am also not convinced there is that much of a gap between OBGYN and FM if you work for a hospital group anyways given recent research….

Anyone else suffer this crisis of conscious? I am now thinking taking some time off after the birth will help me be in the best mindset to make a decision regarding specialty. I still haven’t done EM, and while it isn’t at the top of my list, I guess at this point I am trying to be open to anything.

Any advice would be amazing. Have a great day ladies.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.