Financial Analyst to MD and Mommy, is this possible?

Home Forums Introductions & Connections Financial Analyst to MD and Mommy, is this possible?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Financial2MedicalFinancial2Medical
    Participant

Okay I am going to try this again. I had typed my whole entire message, accidently hit a key or something and erased it, needless to say I am not a happy camper. I am not sure if it posted or not, which I don’t think it did.

Anyhoo…I am a 31 year old financial analyst, who is considering a medical career. I am an african american female, no children, but I would like to have one child someday after marriage. Currently I am not in a relationship at all, so in the present all I have to consider is me, but I am looking into the future as well. I have a B.S. in Accounting, and an MBA. I have absolutely no science background whatsoever. I had so many questions and concerns, which led me to the oldpremeds site and studentdoctor.com where I have gotten some great advice. And I just recently found this one. I would like to interact with other women who are in my same situation. Some of my concerns were/are…Am I too old? I have 2-3 years of post bacc ahead of me, plus taking the MCAT then applying, and hoping I get in on the first try. By the time I start med school I could be 37! Am I really going to be able to quit a full time job and live like a student again? Can I afford to pay for med school and living expenses (even the most minimum)? Will I be able to handle the debt. I already have about $70k in loans just from undergrad and grad school? Will I be able to handle a med school curriculum, the residency hours, the stress? Will I be too squeamish? Be able to deal with dissecting a dead body? I still want to have one child, how in the world can I squeeze in a family, how can I take care of a newborn and go to med school/residency? Am I crazy for leaving a field that I know, that I am established in, for a medical career? I had also considered a Phd in Accounting and going into academia, but it has always been my dream to become a physician, even though that would be a longer road ahead. I just wished I wouldn’t have been a chicken and started all this when I was younger.
    I recently talked to someone in the premed advising office at Georgia State, and they said I would have to be accepted at the college first, and a non degree candidate and then they will make me an appt with the advisor. Most likely thats the most financial feasible option for me since I will be paying for my own classes probably.
    What is a Woman to Do!!! Someone out there please tell me you can feel what I am going through. I haven’t had a chance to parouse the boards yet but I will soon! Sorry this intro was sooo long..

Until then…

MomMDMomMD
    Participant

Welcome to MomMD! Glad that you found us! Your concerns reflect many of our members considering the career. My first advice to you would be to get some volunteer work at a hopsital or clinic and expose yourself to medicine. Even though you’re working full time you might be able to find an evening or weekend volunteer position once a week. This will be the best way of answering many of your questions about whether you’ll be squeamish etc…

Your age is not too old, as I’m sure you’ve heard before! MONEY, MONEY, MONEY….. this is obviously a concern, I’m not sure what to say about that. I did read in a book though that if money was a deciding factor in going to medical school, many wouldn’t go at all. Can you pay some off right now??? Can anyone else answer who started medical school with a big debt?

Can’t think of anything else right now! Stay here and join our family!

Sethina

SisleySisley
    Participant

F2M, it seems like half of us here are 31-year-olds considering medical school a few years down the road. All I can add is that 1971 was a very good year! :laughing:

Med4MomMed4Mom
    Participant

F2M,

My background is similar to yours, although my personal life is a bit different. I have an economics undergrad and an MBA, worked in investment banking for years, taught business at college level, etc, etc. Went back last year at the ripe old age of 35 to take basic sciences, continuing this year (middle of exams right now 😉 ), took the Aug 2000 MCAT and applied for next year. I am not as unencumbered as you however – I have 3 young children and a husband with a practice that he is reluctant to leave, so will only apply to my local (yes…only ONE) school. If I don’t get in there, I will have to reconsider my options. I have throuroughly enjoyed the courses I’ve been taking though, so I won’t consider this time a waste if I don’t get in. I figure if I don’t get in in 2 tries, I will try to find some entrepreneurial business opportunity that encompasses the science background I’ve gained in these couple of years.

I don’t think it is too late for you at all. As a financial planner though, the debt load you are carrying must really be bothering you… I am lucky to not have that issue (undergrad in Canada = cheap tuition, lived at home, MBA in US but on scholarship, paid off loans during high earning IB years). I’m sure it is possible though, if this is what you really want. At least one other thread on here (do a search) discussed revenue options (scholarships/loans etc) so maybe that would be helpful.

In terms of kids, well, I think lots of women on here are doing medschool with kids. I am only in undergrad, but commute 1.5 hrs/day and have 3 kids (oldest in first grade). Life is a bit crazy, but it’s working. I think older kids would be more difficult in many ways. Mine are in bed by 7:30-8pm and that leaves several good hours for work every night. They also are not yet involved in many extracurricular things, so that cuts down on stress at least at this point in our lives.

As for the squemishness factor, I think many premeds worry about that. Exposure to medical stuff, through volunteering, is probably the best way to feel it out. I volunteer in palliative care (mostly very end-stage cancer patients)… what I do is not very medical (the nurses and docs take care of meds and stuff), I just stay with the patient (so family can have a bit of a break) and try to keep them comfortable – but it is very rewarding and continues to keep me focused on why I want to go into this field.

I still haven’t told many people, even friends, that this is my ultimate goal… I guess I feel that many will think I am having an “almost mid-life” crisis :twocents:

Good luck! Mimicat

Financial2MedicalFinancial2Medical
    Participant

Thank Everyone for their responses! I knew I found the right place. And yes 1971 was a very good year. And December was a very good month! I wish everyone the best in whatever stage they are at in the medical process!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.