First Round of Exams?

Home Forums Medical Students First Round of Exams?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    LindseyLindsey
    Participant

I was wondering if the first year students have had their first round of exams yet? How’d ya’ do? Is it what you expected?

So far this 2nd year seems to be MUCH easier than last. I don’t know if it’s really easier or if I’ve just learned how to do it….or maybe the fact that I’m not trying to work this year. Maybe it’s just because there’s not nearly the stress after surviving M1 year. But so far this year is relatively laid back. Hope it continues!

Peace~
    Lindsey

MelissaGrayMelissaGray
    Participant

I had my first anatomy exams (lab & lecture) on Monday and have biochem tomorrow. Histology is in 1 1/2 weeks.

Already got the scores back from anatomy & I passed. Whew!!

elisemomof3elisemomof3
    Participant

Took my first exams last Friday (anatomy practical and written, and embryology). Well, I did quite poorly 😮 . Why? My kids were very, very sick and I couldn’t get in to study the cadavers. I was also very distracted trying to study at home while taking care of their illnesses (103 fevers! Yikes!), and when I escaped to the library I was called every second. Hubby helped not at all (works 24/7 the poor man, could hardly blame him). Well, when I came home crying bitter tears last friday we all sat down and had a family pow-wow. Hubby is now helping, my father came over and did laundry and got the kids to clean their rooms, and the kids have been a little more helpful. My mom even flew up from Florida (my parents are divorced) and commenced cleaning my entire house. I came home from classes and found the whole house neat and tidy. Mom could you come live with us!? Anyway, I am expecting to do better on the next exam now that people are helping and I understand the depth of the questions. Good luck to the rest of you!

Yours,
    Elise

LindseyLindsey
    Participant

Elise….it is always so discouraging to do poorly for whatever reason, but just hang in there. Glad the folks pitched in big for ya. Last year my child got strep while I was trying to study for exams. Of course that is “child” and not “children,” but either way it is ESSENTIAL to have people who can help. What’s horrible, at least for me, is that I want to be right there with him when he’s sick. I think that’s a battle we’ll likely fight throughout the medical career depending upon choice of specialty.

One tip on gross…..when I was not able to go study the cadavers (actually I rarely studied the cadavers), I just sat down with my Netters and memorized that way. Probably didn’t do quite as well as I would have going through the cadaver, but did fine nonetheless. AND I was able to do that from home. I made sure I saw everything in more than one cadaver during lab, but I only went back to look at a few things….pelvis and perineum for example….had to look at that a lot because it’s so hard to get oriented to.

Also, I do NOT wait until mine has gone to bed to study. I don’t do ALL of my studying while he’s awake, but I don’t think there’s any problem with my child and husband knowing that it’s okay for me to spend a little time doing what I need to do. That’s a very important message for children to get, especially. They need to know that they are more important to you than anything else, but also that the world doesn’t revolve around them. Jay understands it real well. I study for an hour or two in the evenings, and then we’ll go on a night walk or something afterwards. I take him to soccer practice and games in between, but it all gets done. Then I read to him before bed, and after he’s asleep I study some more if I need to, or I get up at 4am and get a few fresh hours in before the clan’s awake. My child’s adjusted quite well. He plays with his toys or pretends to read curious George, or watches Dexter’s Lab while I study. If he needs me I’m right there in the living room, but he’s learned how to give me a little space. It’s good. Part of learning how to do this as a mom is training the kids, lol.

Anyway….better luck next time. Most of us have an exam here and there that we totally suck on. It’s amazing how you can bounce back. Try not to get too stressed out.

Peace~
    Lindsey

elisemomof3elisemomof3
    Participant

Thanks for the advice, Lindsay. Yes, I don’t wait until the kids are sleeping, never have. I’m just too tired by then and I need my sleep or I’ll end up sick. :p You all need to get your sleep, too. Don’t end up so run down that you get sick!

And, congratulations to melissa for a job well done. Gooooo med moms!

Elise 😀

glennvallyglennvally
    Participant

Lindsey,

That was well presented! I too study while my kids are around…Thankfully I am pretty good at concentrating while the house is coming down. I moved my HUGE desk into what’s supposed to be a dining room, so I am right here within view of the TV, etc. My kids are school-age and I feel that it’s good for them to see me working so hard on my classes. Not sure if it is improving their study habits in the least, but at least I can say “See, if you study hard and get good grades you can do anything you want to do!” I never really heard that as a kid and certainly didn’t have anyone modeling it for me. I KNOW that’s why it took me so long to figure it out for myself. 🙂

Val

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.