For premeds and medstudents…

Home Forums Medical Specialties For premeds and medstudents…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    JumpuJumpu
    Participant

I kinda have an idea as to what field of medicine I’d like to pursue. I was wondering how others were approaching this decision themselves.

1. What specialty are you considering?
    2. what factors play into that decision?
    2. What resources have you used to explore that field?

I’ll start with myself.
    1. I’m considering radiology.
    2. I’d like to think I have a keen eye. :yikes: I also like the fact that it may lend itself better to a lifestyle that will allow me to spend more time with my family than many other specialties. Thirdly, I like the concept of the being a expert and consultant to other physicians.
    3. I have purchased two books that have a wealth of knowledge regarding all aspects of residency: Kenneth Iserson’s book, Getting into a residency and Anita Taylor’s book, How to choose a medical specialty.

StarflyrStarflyr
    Participant

Originally posted by Jumpu:
    [b]I kinda have an idea as to what field of medicine I’d like to pursue. I was wondering how others were approaching this decision themselves.

1. What specialty are you considering?
    2. what factors play into that decision?
    2. What resources have you used to explore that field?

[/b]

Well, my reasoning at this point is mostly based on very limited experience and a lot of thoughts and suppositions.

1. I want to do Pedi Heme/Onc
    2-3. I did an internship at a pedi heme/onc clinic when I was in college. It was sad – apparantly I was there during a very bad time with many more deaths than usual – but it was also uplifting to see the kid’s reactions to their situations. Courage, love and hope were rampant. It was really moving for me.

I also know that I do NOT want to do general pediatrics – last year we had clinic days – always at the same place w/the same doc, and I want to do more than see RSV/colds, allergies, sports physicals, well baby things and pulling bits of stuff out of various orificies that they got stuck into.

I really think that I would rather be hosptial-based than practice-based, and eventually, I would like to teach in some capacity.

The only “resource” Ive really used is that 100+ question thing online, where you answer the questions then it calculates the optimal fields. Pediatric subspecialty of some kind is usually up in the top 5, though surgury is usually first (however, I like seeing my family and sleeping!).

Actually, that’s wrong. Ive used FREIDA to check program locations and salary and all that fun stuff.

Ask me again after next year!

Star

JumpuJumpu
    Participant

Starflyr, are you a medstudent? Is that why you say to ask you next year?

Jumpu

StarflyrStarflyr
    Participant

yes, Jumpu, Im an MSII right now, so…ask me next year after Ive been through the reality check of rotations! :hyper:

Star

LindseyLindsey
    Participant

Rural Family Practice! I’ll be going back to my hometown in south Arkansas. I’ve thought about a lot of other things, but when it comes right down to it, I don’t think there’s anything else that really fits me. I’ve thought about specialties that may be more family friendly, but I’d be doing those because of the lifestyle and not because of the work. I can’t think of anything I’d rather do than take care of the people I’ve known and loved my whole life. Also, I really want to raise my child in a small town, and THAT particular small town has a special place in my heart. THEN another huge plus is that I’ll get to practice with my dad for his last years in practice. He’ll be 65 when I finish my residency.

Peace~
    Lindsey

JumpuJumpu
    Participant

Hi Lindsey,
    are you also a medstudent? And if so, where are you at? I also like the idea of a small town, but I’m not sure I want to do primary care. Is it possible to specialize and still get work at perhaps in a clinic or small hospital in a small town :confused: ?

LindseyLindsey
    Participant

Hey Jumpu…..yeah, I’m an M2 at UAMS in Arkansas. You’re in Florida? Which school?

I don’t really know the answer to your question about specialized docs in rural areas. I think you can get to some relatively small towns as a more specialized doc….at least out of the major metropolitan areas. I don’t know about how you’d fare in really rural areas, though. Maybe someone else can help…. I just see such a need for primary care docs “out in the sticks,” and I feel so fulfilled when I’m able to fill such a need.

Peace~
    Lindsey

JumpuJumpu
    Participant

I’m not in school at the moment. I’m actually still in the application process for this fall, though i don’t see it happening this year. As a backup, I had also applied to a masters program in chicago, which will hopefully allow to start medschool next year.

rockfeverrockfever
    Participant

Hi Jumpu! I have also applied for this fall and my totally top choice if there were no other factors such as family to consider, would be infertility/ reproductive medicine. However, with the realities of my family life and the fact that i want more children, i have looked into other specialties with greta hours and no call. I have been told that specialties with great hours include pathology, opthamology, dermatology and physical medicine and rehabilitation. Apparently opthamology and dermatology are very competitive and i have only a marginal interets in them right now but surgical pathology/ cytopathology really interests me. I took a histology class last summer and loved it. Being in architecture currently, i have honed my visual skills i think becuase my recall of those slides was tremendous. i also have an interest in PM&R especially pediatric PM&R.
    i too have bought iserson’s book and it has been very informative. i will buy anita taylor’s book next.
    my only question is how do i find out for sure which specialty i shoudl go into? should i shadow a pathologist and someone in PM&R. will i have time for that? or should i just attend grand rounds?
    anyway, when i do get in somewhere i will ask the advisors in these fields what they think.

Vanessa

spacecadetspacecadet
    Participant

Hi Jumpu,

As far as specialty goes, I’ve decided not to decide. I’d like to go into rotations without any preconceived notions about which specialty I would like. I have a tendency to ignore what I really like in favor of what I think I SHOULD like – that’s how I ended up in a profession I’m not really suited for (engineering) in the first place. So, I’d like to keep an open mind and allow myself to gravitate to the field that suits me best.

My main worry is that waiting to pursue a specialty may come back to bite me. I’ve heard that you have to start lobbying for competitive specialties REALLY early. Also, I need to stay in the Houston area, so it’s going to make things tougher. But, since I haven’t even started med school yet, I’m not going to start stressing about residency & fellowship! 🙂

Pam

rockfeverrockfever
    Participant

HI! it’s funny because i have a different take on that. i am currelty in a career that i dont’ like so i wnat to make sure that i pick the correct specialty. to me that means starting early. anita taylor’s book actually recomends starting early and gvies steps that you can take each year towards figuring it out. this said, i am going to do my best to try to keep an open mind beucase i know that 3rd year could show my my strengths and weaknesses more than any other year. but beforehand i coudll still explore.
    anwyay i worke dthrough antia taylros book and did the quizzes at the end of the various specialties and heres how things ranked:
    1. diagnostic radiology
    2. pathology

rockfeverrockfever
    Participant

oops i poste dthat befo rei was done.
    3. pm&R
    4. General Internal Medicie
    5. Endocrinology

The shockers were radiology and general internal medicine. This gave me an insight into what i might be good in. howeve rradioogy is veyr competitive and i am going to try to shadow a radiologits but i also will have to see how competitive i am with board scores and stuff.

momofchrismomofchris
    Participant

The things I’m most interested in are internal medicine, geriatrics, and family medicine. Before med school, I worked at a senior health center and really loved working with elderly patients. I know internal medicine is one of the least family-friendly specialities, but unfortunately I have trouble seeing myself doing anything else. I’m horrible with my hands, so surgery and OB/GYN are out of the question. I’m not keen on treating colds and ear infections all the time, nor dealing with the parents, so pedes is out. Psych doesn’t appeal to me at all as a full-time specialty. Derm and ophtho are out because, again, I’m a clutz with my hands. Rads would bore me to TEARS. And path isn’t an option because I can’t stand looking through a microscope all day.
    Haven’t thought about PM&R much- will have to give that some thought. I’m also interested in endocrinology, clinical genetics, and neonatalogy-but all of those require additional years of fellowship beyond residency and I can’t possibly support my family on a resident’s salary that long!

spacecadetspacecadet
    Participant

Originally posted by bermiegal:
    HI! it’s funny because i have a different take on that. i am currelty in a career that i dont’ like so i wnat to make sure that i pick the correct specialty.

I think it depends on how you got to that career that doesn’t suit you. For me, I was very focused and wanted to do one specific thing. Even though I never liked it much, I made myself get through saying that I would like it later. Never happened.

If I had been undecided and then picked a major last-minute or something like that, I’d probably feel differently.

Pam

Med4MomMed4Mom
    Participant

I think I would like to do rural family practice with a focus on geriatrics and palliative care. Like many rural areas, my area has a relatively high percentage of seniors (25%+) vs the rest of the country.

Motivating factors for me are both emotional and practical.

1) I love working with the elderly
    2) I feel there is a big need for more doctors trained in palliative care
    3) I am 37 now and still waiting for an acceptance :rolleyes: – if I try for a long residency and additional fellowship, I will be the one needing geriatric care :boggled:
    4) I don’t want to move my family, so will be limited in my choices (I feel it is enough of a sacrifice for them for me to go to school at all, so I WILL match with something as local as possible).

That’s it I guess. If I had no other people and issues to consider in my decision (and I was younger) I would probably go for surgery. I am a pretty action and results-oriented type person, and I think that would be a good fit for me.

Mimi 😀

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.