Foreign Medical School

Home Forums Premed Students Foreign Medical School

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    ayasmommyayasmommy
    Participant

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if any of you all are considering going to a foreign medical school? And if so for what reasons? Also which foreign medical schools have you looked into and researched their programs for U.S. students?

Thanks!!

AyasMommy

MeeshMeesh
    Participant

I have heard good and bad things about foreign medical schools (programs in Asia, the Middle East, the Carribean, etc.)….I think the things that would give me the most pause in attending one are these:
    1) You must be able to sit for your USMLE exams if you want to do residency and/or practice in the US. Some programs do NOT allow you to do this.
    2) You may have difficulty securing a residency in the US if you attend certain foreign schools. Many residency programs do not recognize certain programs. Also, your chances at getting a “choice” residency may be small.
    Where you go to medical school matters, but residency is where it’s all at! You don’t learn very much clinical stuff in med school (even with rotations – rotations are for some basic skills and mostly figuring out in what area of medicine you want to do your residency).
    And, the trouble with getting your residency of choice would make me choose not to attend a foreign medical school.
    Just my 2 cents! Do lots of research before you decide to go this route and make sure your school is recognized by all the important professional groups.
    🙂
    Meesh

I heard from a physician that I work with that it is not wise to got to a foreign med school. However, when I think about it many people I know have done it. Like Meesh said when it comes to choosing your residency you don’t get first pick. The order of pick according to the MD/Phd at my job is American-American Grad. , Foreign-American Grad. , American-Foreign Grad., and Foreign-Foreign grad. Another option if you are really considering foreign medical schools is to find a school where they have what is called a 5th pathway. This is where you do two years abroad and the remaining two years here in the states. But like Meesh said do a lot of Research first.
    :confused:

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.