Genetics help

Home Forums Premed Students Genetics help

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    bjwarrenbjwarren
    Participant

Hello,

I really do not know what it is that I’m doing wrong. Other than detailed genetics problems, I have a great deal of base knowledge for genetics of the general biology level. I go to some of the online genetics problems, and get them right about 90% of the time. The terms and orientation, pathways of elongation, etc. I have this stuff down.

I bomb the tests in class though and starting the real class, we had a review test about the general biology level of information to see where everyone was. I got a 58. The only score above 75 was a 78, so this helps my ego a minimal amount. Needless to say, this prof. ALWAYS makes things much harder than they are or need to be (in his wording of the questions for example).

Does anyone have any tips on how to study for genetics or good web tutorials/problems, etc.?

Any advice welcome!!!
    Brandi 😀

efex101efex101
    Participant

Genetics problems are just “word problems” but they do take some time to get used to them. I would suggest practicing on problems and then if you do not get the right answer go talk to the professor/get a tutor or someone in class can help. After the first exam find out who made A’s and get their help. The molecular genetics is not hard to understand but when talking about probability some folks had a hard time. You should be fine you just started so keep calm and get help. Good luck.

PremedRNPremedRN
    Participant

The molecular genetics was much easier for me. I hated population genetics! I did get an A in the class. I do have to admitt though, I was suprised. That A was hard earned. What types of problems are you specifically having problems with?
    The genetics class I took, we had quizzes and went to this course compass site to take them. It had audio and visuals for each chapter. It was helpful. But your instructor has to be enrolled, and he gives you an intitial password to enter and enroll.

—Dana

bjwarrenbjwarren
    Participant

What kinds of problems am I having? Genetics problems incorporating sex-linked genes and just the big ones like if grandpappy of Sarah has X and mommy of Dave has X and they have umpteen children with two having X and Susie (child) marries Joe what’s prob of their 1st born having X? I do not have much trouble with these in homework or online testing myself, but in class, we have about 1 minute per problem. Thus, I freeze or take to long and do not finish or TYPICALLY, I MISINTERPRET THE QUESTION FLYING THROUGH IT. The other day I missed one by thinking it was asking for sex-linked, but only asking for linked, obviously I saw linked and mind clicked one thing, and I did not read the question very well because there’s not really time to.

Also, here’s another HUGE problem in this class. His wording. Example, in lecture, he’s going over some things and says that this chapter has tons of nomenclature? Nomenclature? Although, what he was talking about in context was terminology/definitions. I looked up nomenclature in the text and found “genetics nomenclature” and went to the page and found about 3 pages of genes, functionality and nomenclature of genes. I asked is this what we’re supposed to know???
    The other student that I was asking acted as if I were stupid and said no, I think he means like know what wild-type is, etc. Am I just old and thick or is that terms and definitions, not nomenclature?

I feel like screaming at him: if he wants an apple, all he has to do is say red fruit instead of seeds in the middle. Yes, he’s that vague usually and other students agree! Agh!

Brandi 😡

PremedRNPremedRN
    Participant

I know, it sounds very frustrating. We did the quizes, like I said, online without a time constraint, but were due by the next time we had class. Those problems took FOREVER!

Has anyone asked him if it could be possible to add more time when taking the quizzes. If that is not an option, you’ll just have work your butt off even more than you already are and learn to look at the patterns of the different inheritances so you can spot them right away.

I hope he will be more than willing to understand the time constraint, and let you guys have more time on your quizzes.

About the nomenclature thing….I see where you could have been uncertain as to what he wanted. To be safe try and remember them all, including definitions.

But if you ever need help on a specific question, maybe I could whip out my book and try to help ya.

—Dana

PremedRNPremedRN
    Participant

Oooh, I just browsed “MY documents” on my computer and I do have downloads from lecture (power point) and also have some questions with solutions from my quizes. Let me know if you are interested!

bjwarrenbjwarren
    Participant

Sure, I’m interested. You can message me with the details if you like.
    Also, I see that you’re in Indiana, what part or what school?

Brandi 🙂

PremedRNPremedRN
    Participant

I think your are from evansville or something? Im not too awfully far from there. I live in between Michigan City and LaPorte (Michingan City phone, LaPorte address). Do you know where that is?

Anway, Ill PM you!

sara1sara1
    Participant

My chem prof does the same thing. As far as genetics goes I am somehow lucky enough to just “get it” with minimal studying. The best thing to do is take the time to write out a key so that you don’t get mixed up on your genotypes and phenotypes. Next you HAVE to read the problems carefully. If you are pressed for time think of it this way: You can fly through and get half right or no points for guessing or you can take your time with the detailed problems then go back and fly through the multiple choice/fill in the blank. Usually the detailed problems are worth the most points. We just had an exam- 50 minutes 40 multi choice, 3 short answer and 6 detailed questions that counted for 50% of the exam grade. Finally, go to your prof and ask him/her to go over example problems in his/her office. That way you can take more detailed notes and not be afriad to ask questions. I am doing research with my genetics professor this semester. Let me know if you have any specific problems. I’ll do what I can! In the meantime good luck!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.