Get-to-know-you roll call

Home Forums Premed Students Get-to-know-you roll call

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    spacecadetspacecadet
    Participant

Hi everyone! I’m Pam, your official “premed” moderator. 🙂

How about we do a little roll call so we can get to know each other.

1) Where are you in the premed process?

2) When do you expect to apply to medical school?

3) Do you have kids? How many, and how old?

4) Will medicine be your first career? If not, what do you do now?

5) What is your dream school?

6) So far, what do you think your biggest obstacle on the medical school path has been?

spacecadetspacecadet
    Participant

I applied last year and was accepted off a waitlist. I deferred a year, and will start school in August ’03.

I applied last summer (July 2001).

One son, Kai, age 28 months. I am due to have another son (so far nameless) this October.

I have a BS and MS in Aerospace Engineering. I’ve worked as an engineer in the space industry for about 10 years.

Baylor. It is an excellent school, cheap, and close to where I live. I was lucky enough to be accepted there! 🙂

6) So far, what do you think your biggest obstacle on the medical school path has been?

The biggest obstacle for me was making the decision to give up my stable, 9-to-5 job for this dream. It took me a while before I accepted that I really needed to do this.

Also, AMCAS was a huge pain in the butt last year. It’s much better this year!

Pam
    Houston, TX

glennvallyglennvally
    Participant

Hi All,

Finished AAS at a CC, start this fall at the University…Just Physics and the MCAT to get through!

We are moving to Spain next summer, so my application will be delayed by a couple of years. I plan to apply in 2004.

Two kids, 7yo boy, 9yo girl.

I am a full-time student now, but have been a Flight Operations Manager for an airline for the last few years.

University of Washington SOM (but I’ll probably end up at University of South Alabama for reasons too numerous to list here).

Chemistry grades 🙁 about 3.0 with labs…But my gpa is 3.6 overall and I am confident that I can keep it up there, hopefully raise it a bit. Also, with this transfer, the delay is going to drive me NUTS!

Val

bjwarrenbjwarren
    Participant

Hello!

I started taking my first science classes this summer, the first session and am only able to take two classes/semester right now. I almost had my bachelor’s in philosophy/psci 5 years ago, so at least, all my core is out of the way.

I plan to be applying in 2005 for Fall 2006.

I have one daughter. She is currently 5 1/2 months old. That 1/2 means a world of difference at this age.

No, I am currently working as an admin. asst. at the university that I am attending in order to get free tuition. It is a highly respected school, but also highly expensive. Prior to my decision for med school and change of jobs, I had been in mgt./training administrator for several years at a large paper mill. Basically, I was a scheduler of people and workshops and the company’s personal “time manager” 😉

I would like to try to get into John Hopkins or Northwestern, but being from Inidana and spending much of childhood at Riley Hospital. I will probably go there for, also too many reasons to list here!

That would be me, myself and I. I wish that I wouldn’t have been so afraid of failure after high school and I shouldn’t have balked so hard when people were pushing for me to go the medical route. But, at least, now I know that I want it for me and that is the most important reason to go! It hasn’t came up yet, but I think that physics will be my next biggest obstacle. I haven’t seen them since high school and needless to say, I did not pay as close attention then as I should have!! I’m thinking of auditing course first to get my cogs spinning in that way of thinking. :p

Med4MomMed4Mom
    Participant

Hi I’m Mimi, and I am 36 years old.

I have taken all the basic sciences and some upper level courses over the past year. Will take the MCAT in 3 weeks (uggg).

I am applying only to my one local school, the next closest is 15 hours away, this one is 1.5 hours away. I will apply this fall.

We have 3 kids – Boy (5 1/2), Girl (4),Girl (2)

I have a degree in Economics, and an MBA and previous career in investment banking. Since then have taught business part-time at college level, gone back to school for prereqs and part-time at home with my kids.

Haven’t given that any thought since I only have one option given my current life circumstance. This school has a good track record for admitting non-traditional students though, and I think I have a decent chance at getting in. It seems to have a very non-competitive atmosphere and supportive work environment. Any school that accepts me I guess could be my dream school 😉

Myself!!! I have continually doubted/ second-guessed myself out of following this dream several times in the past. My husband is totally supportive… but only if I attend this school (in other words he really doesn’t want to move again, and in reality neither do I ). Problem is, the commute is too much so I would be away from my kids during the week. I am really concerned about clerkship years and the uncertainty of residency, although he says we’ll cross that bridge when we come to it… and I know if it came down to it he would do what is needed to make things come together. I just don’t know if disrupting my family this much will be worth it….hmmmmm 🙁 , here I go again lol.

efex101efex101
    Participant

1)Where are you in the premed process?
    I have all my pre-reqs done except second semester of physics plus lab. First degree double major and one minor.

Will be applying next June, April MCAT
    Two kids a 12 year old daughter and a 9 year old son.

I was prior military for six years Gulf War vet, fitness professional/international presenter currently.

Mayo

None so far.

TexasRoseTexasRose
    Participant

Taking last 2 Bio courses this Fall and Org II w/lab in Spring

MCAT in April and apply in summer 2003!!!

3 kids; 8 yr old girl and fraternal twin boys, 5 yrs.

NOt by a long shot! Have BA in Anthropology, was a caseworker for adult mental health clients out of college, got certified to teach elemntary, had kids and did the SAHM thing, last year I was an assitant speech therapist at our elemenatary, but I don’t think they want me part time this year. Oh well!

Honestly, anything in the Houston area so my family doesn’t have to move again, but Baylor would be my top pick

Me, myself,and I. Oh, and having a husband and 3 kids to whom I feel very responsible. I’ve been so afraid of being an inadequate mother if I went med school that i have held myself back for years!

Funny, that last answer looks awfully familiar on this site! 😉
    Theresa

RayRay
    Participant

Hi Guys,

) Where are you in the premed process?

Have a BS in Biology and a MS in Environmental Science so just studying for the MCAT right now

April 2003

2 ;1 year old(boy) and 3 year old(girl)

No, right now I work for local government doing water quality planning

Right now; Wright State University or UT Heath Science Center at San Antonio (too many reasons to list why)

The guilt over wondering what this is going to do to my family. We have a pretty “normal” life now but this is going create a lot of changes. Had to reconcile going for my dream with making the sacrifices.

odysseyodyssey
    Participant

Where are you in the premed process?
    MCAT 2003,April

Ready to apply.

For class of 2004

I have a daughter 5 named RISHIKA, and son ANEESH who is 4.

I am an RN.Case management in home care nursing.

Johns Hopkins but I will be happy to accepted in any.

Motivation.

CaLiGirL :)CaLiGirL:)
    Participant

Hi I’m Annie. I’m 23 years old and I’m so happy to be a part of this community 🙂 ,

I will begin this fall at UCLA as a junior transfer. I have all of my medical school admissions requirements done except physics( 😡 ) which I’ve been foolishly putting off.

2) When do you plan on applying to medical school?

I will apply to medical school June of 2003, soon after I take the MCAT in April of 2003…I’m VERY excited. I mentioned this in one of my millions of other posts but…I CAN SMELL IT 😀 !

Yes, I have a munchkin…the munchkin’s name is Aliza but also goes by Autumni (her middle name) and she’s a bossy 4 y/o. But regardless, she’s awesome! :p

Yup, medicine will be my first career…thats all I want in life. I don’t really have other interests besides maybe becoming a professor at a community college level. I’m sure many others who have been there might be able to agree, but at the CC level, I feel is so much more personal. If I do teach, I want to make differences. I like the more intimate setting of smaller CC classes.

I don’t have a specific one, but I would really like to get into these schools: UCLA (cuz I’m already here), UCI (cuz it’s close to all of my family), UCSF (cuz its a dang good school and I like the way they are), Case Western Reserve (cuz I know its a really good school). If I got into Ivy League school(s) that would be awesome 🙂 .

6) So far, what do you think your biggest obstacle on the path to medical school has been?

1. Being a wife and mom. Most of you know already how stressful it can be when you have to juggle that with full-time school. Killer exam the next day, but you gotta wait till all the chores are done and the kid is off to bed.
    2. The guilt that my being so busy on my path would have ANY sort of negative effect on my child. My husband I don’t mind so much…he can take care of himself, but I feel that my child is very much diffent. I want to be there for her as much as possible. I don’t want her to miss out on her mommy.
    3. Another obstacle is the financial stress that we’ve had. My husband and I are both students and we live off of FA and his part-time internship position. Oh well, I guess we’re living the classic “starving student” life which is an experience in itself to remember 😉 .

Good luck and I’m glad to have “met” so many of you… 🙂

Annie

DuckDuck
    Participant

Hello my name is Daphne and I am 40. I’m also extremely proud to be a member of this community 🙂

I’m just beginning. I have taken three science classes. I am taking one this fall.

Most likely it won’t be until 2005.

3) Do you have kids? How many and how old?

I am very separated and childless.

4) Will medicine be your first career field? What do you do now?

I am an elementary school teacher who finally burned out. Now, I work for my brother as an independent computer contractor.

Case Western Reserve University is where I’d most like to go. It’s very expensive…so I’ll probably attend Ohio State if all goes well.

I have been my biggest obstacle. I often let that inner voice say “you shouldn’t do this or you can’t do this”. I need to retrain the inner voice to speak positively. I’m kind of like Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz…what I thought I didn’t have…was always in me.

shirlshirl
    Participant

Hi My name is Shirl. I am 37 yrs old

1. Where are yoou in the pre med process?
    I am starting the post bacc program at Bryn Mawr College in 3 weeks.I had basic sciences about 18 years ago.

2.When applying?
    MCAT april 2003 apply to enter 2004

3. Kids?
    I am married with an awesome 8 year old son, Andrew. Two 16 yr old stepsons. Husband is pretty great too!

4.Medicine first career? What are you doing now?
    No peds nurse for 7 years.pediatric nurse practitioner for 8 yrs.

5.Dream school?
    Mayo. My husband and I are from the midwest. Mayo is a very small school. I have worked in the Mayo system for 6 years. My husband is a medical social worker at Mayo.

6. Biggest obstacle?
    Financial concerns. Today was my last day in my full time pediatric nurse practitioner position.
    Giving up my 15 yr career was difficult
    Family concerns-I will be away from my family to pursue the post bacc route,not to mention all of the sacrafice that will be required of my family in the years to come. BUT I am POSITVE it will be worth it!

shirlshirl
    Participant

Hi My name is Shirl. I am 37 yrs old

1. Where are yoou in the pre med process?
    I am starting the post bacc program at Bryn Mawr College in 3 weeks.I had basic sciences about 18 years ago.

2.When applying?
    MCAT april 2003 apply to enter 2004

3. Kids?
    I am married with an awesome 8 year old son, Andrew. Two 16 yr old stepsons. Husband is pretty great too!

4.Medicine first career? What are you doing now?
    No peds nurse for 7 years.pediatric nurse practitioner for 8 yrs.

5.Dream school?
    Mayo. My husband and I are from the midwest. Mayo is a very small school. I have worked in the Mayo system for 6 years. My husband is a medical social worker at Mayo.

6. Biggest obstacle?
    Financial concerns. Today was my last day in my full time pediatric nurse practitioner position.
    Giving up my 15 yr career was difficult
    Family concerns-I will be away from my family to pursue the post bacc route,not to mention all of the sacrafice that will be required of my family in the years to come. BUT I am POSITVE it will be worth it!

tammytammy
    Participant

Hi, I’m Tammy and 23 years old.

1.Where are you in the premed process?
    I have a Bachelors of Arts in gerontology, but still have a lot of science classes to take.

2. When do you expect to apply to med school?
    I hope to take the MCAT in April 2003 and then apply to start 2005 (which seems so far away!).

3.Do you have any kids?
    A 4 year old daughter, Ashleigh and hoping to have another in the near future

4. Will medicine be your first career?
    Well, kind of. I currently work PT in a nursing home in the Activities dpt. which I love but by no means want to make a career out of it

5. What is your dream school?
    Because of financial reasons mainly being my husband’s job, I plan to apply to only one school (Medical College of Ohio in Toledo, Ohio) and hopefully get in!!

6.. So far, what do you feel has been your biggest obstacle on the medical school path?
    Mainly me. I really doubt myself. My grades are good, but of all the subjects, science is my weakest area. It really is a leap of faith for me, but I have a very supportive husband and feel very passionate about this. I want my daughter to grow up and know that she can be anything she wants to be by being that example for her. I had strongly considered going for a Master’s of Occupational Therapy knowing that it would be much easier, faster, and less risky, but my undergrad advisor for my geronotology degree really encouraged me to follow my dreams. Financies are also an obstacle, but we really try to live within our means and save.
    🙂

OldLadyOldLady
    Participant

Taking the MCAT Apr ’03, still need O-Chem I&II & BioII (plus labs)

next summer (2003)

none yet…

Nope. I have a BS and MS in Electrical Engineering. I’ve worked as an engineer in the tech. industry for about 6 years.

UofA, Tucson. It is a good school, & cheap for in-state residents. Unfortunately, it is not very close to where I live. If I weren’t married and wanting to stay here in-state I would probably approach this differently.

Quoting the first responder, Pam from Houston TX, I felt the same way coming from engineering: “The biggest obstacle for me was making the decision to give up my stable, 9-to-5 job for this dream. It took me a while before I accepted that I really needed to do this.” Pam, I think we need to chat! i could use some encouragement 😉
    My other fear is that because we don’t have children yet, I may mess things up there with being so focused on my own career. At least when I knew I didn’t love engineering I wasn’t that worried about juggling work and kids, because I would just stop working if I needed to.

Amy
    Phoenix, AZ

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.