GPA/MCAT

Home Forums Medical Students GPA/MCAT

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    DrAshleyDrAshley
    Participant

Hey everyone! For those of you who don’t mind sharing, what was you undergraduate GPA and MCAT score. I am still in undergrad and wondering where I stand.
    Thanks
    ashley

LisaDLisaD
    Participant

Hopefully these undergraduate and MCAT scores will be inspiring for all of you out there… I am a first year medical student at the University of Oklahoma College of Medicine; had a 3.07 GPA and 24 on the MCAT.

Brief background info: B.S. in Pharmacy from the University of Oklahoma College of Pharmacy. Just a few weeks before starting pharmacy school, I got married and then turned 21. Needless to say, my grades went down. Thankfully, I got my act together and was blessed with understanding faculty, who wrote me letters of recommendation and granted me acceptance into the Doctor of Pharmacy program after graduation. I completed the PharmD program with a 3.95 GPA, and then completed post-doctoral residency training in internal medicine pharmacy practice at the University of Texas (1 year). Went to work for few years, then decided I had missed my true calling…medicine. Took the MCAT in August of 2002…and here I am…a MSI. I do believe the ONLY reason that I was even considered was because of my PharmD training, healthcare experience, and improved academic performance (though, the MCAT score did NOT reflect it). I must say that it has been tough going back to school after being out of the classroom for several years and it being over a decade since I have had the prerequisite course work. Sometimes (well…actually, often) I wonder if I made the right decision…and feel guilty for being accepted with my measly undergrad GPA and MCAT score. If nothing else, let it be an inspiration for others to know that they can get into medical school without “perfect” transcripts or high MCAT scores. Good luck!

LisaDLisaD
    Participant

Per the most recent data on my program’s website (see my post above), “students admitted to the freshman class, entering in 2000, had a mean grade point average of 3.69 and a mean MCAT score of 9.61.” I believe my class had higher values on both scores…but I don’t have the exact numbers. Being such a “numbers-oriented” school, I am actually surprised I was accepted. So, if it’s what you want to do…don’t give up! (I’m giving myself a bit of a pep-talk, too) Here’s the website: http://www.medicine.ouhsc.edu

Amy26Amy26
    Participant

Hi Ashley :wave: ,

I think this might help….since I’m always comparing myself to the rest of the world…..

http://www.mdapplicants.com

Amy

DrAshleyDrAshley
    Participant

Amy-
    Thanks so much. That site really put things into perspective. But it also gave me hope, since I don’t have a really strong GPA.
    Ashley

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.