Have you ever hosted a foreign exchange student?

Home Forums General Discussion Have you ever hosted a foreign exchange student?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    AnnaMAnnaM
    Participant

Deprecated: wp_make_content_images_responsive is deprecated since version 5.5.0! Use wp_filter_content_tags() instead. in /home/s267/html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 4777

Has anyone here ever done this? If so, what was your experience?

Baby EinsteinBaby Einstein
    Participant

Deprecated: wp_make_content_images_responsive is deprecated since version 5.5.0! Use wp_filter_content_tags() instead. in /home/s267/html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 4777

I’ve never hosted one, but I was an exchange student. I came to a family in NJ for a month, and then their daughter came to my family in Europe for a month the following summer. That was in 1995, organized by our high schools. We keep in touch, even came to each other’s wedding! It was a great experience for me, but I guess I was lucky (good match).

mamiybbsmamiybbs
    Participant

Hi AnnaM, I did host a foreign exchange student while I was in High School. She was from Russia. She was I think 14yrs and at the time I was a junior. There was a little age difference but she was great! Then I went to Russia for 3wks and stayed with her and it was so much fun. BUt my best friends student was not happy with her. SHe had other culture differences and it was not a good experience for her. I think if you are open minded to other cultures and investigate them you will be fine. I learned Russian (many words) while I was there in such a short time. I also learned a lot about their culture. GOod luck!

fearlessphoenixfearlessphoenix
    Participant

When I was in elementary school we had a student from Brazil for an entire school year. It was awesome and I hope to host now when we get a large enough home of our own so our son can experience the same thing. All good stuff for our family –

AnnaMAnnaM
    Participant

The reason I asked is that we have one now and it is turning out to be not what we expected. Things went well at first, but as it turns out, Korean students come with a hidden agenda which has just become apparent to us in the past several weeks. They do not see the foreign exchange program as a way to experience a different culture for a year and learn about our culture while teaching us about theirs. Last I heard, that was the goal of the program. Korean students apparently use the system as an entree into the American educational system. They get their foot in the door through the program and once in the US, their mission is to make contacts and privately find themselves a place to stay for the following year so they can continue school here through high school and continue on to college. Our student has caused a rift in the Korean church she attends here. The pastor wants her to live with him and his family next year and he has alienated a large part of his congregation to make it happen (they can’t afford to get him a bigger place so he has room for her). She has pretty much resigned from our family for the duration of this school year and spends most of her time in her room on the internet, planning for next year. She seems put out by the fact that we will not have her back for a second year and will not help her find another family. I thought our spring break trip to New York last week would perk her up. We paid for everything except her souveniers and she not only did NOT say thank you, she actually made it quite clear (obnoxioualy so) through her body language that she was bored at the Metropolitan museum the MOMA, and the Ellis Island Museum. In fact, the only two things she seemed to enjoy were the shopping and the two Broadway shows we took her to.

Last August we couldn’t wait for her to get here and now I’m counting the days til she leaves (50).

If any of you ever decide to host a foreign exchange student, think twice before you take one from Korea. They are not here for the cultural exchange. They are here to get their foot in the door, period.

OBRN2MDOBRN2MD
    Participant

When I was young, our family hosted several exchange students from Japan. They were ALL wonderful. My parents keep in touch with a few of them and have gone to visit their families as well.

We also had a student from Belgium. I was 14 and she was a senior (actually she had technically graduated from high school in her country but was not 18 so she decided to come as an exchange student). She was evicted from her first home because of bad behavior. My parents thought with another child in the home she might adapt more appropriately, but the opposite was true. She flirted relentlessly with my father, told me on a daily basis how lazy I was, never lifted a finger to even clear her own dishes from the table and had guys of all ages knocking at the door from sun up to sun down. Needless to say, she was evicted from her second home as well and had to return to her country before the year was up.

I really think the experience depends on the match. I’m not sure about the country. The agency we used to host the Japanese students had a match application similar to what one might find on a dating service or employment application…interests, hobbies, ambitions, hopes, dreams, values, etc. We were able to choose a person who we felt would fit best with our family. If I had the time, I would love to host a student in our home.

fearlessphoenixfearlessphoenix
    Participant

My son’s private school is hosting several South Korean students from 5th grade through senior high and are also hosted by a Korean church nearby and I have observed a lot of what you described in your experience (the foot-hold thing) but from our Brazilian student and all the friends from Europe, Japan and Central America that she brought through our home I never ever saw that happen. Perhaps it is peculiar to the South Korean experience. The students at my son’s school have challenged him academically in the classroom so we’ve been grateful for that aspect.

docEdocE
    Participant

Sorry that this is off topic, but I don’t think it’s fair or appropriate to say that ALL Koreans behave the way your exchange student does, or that they ALL have an agenda. With the way things are in the world today (and especially this week) I think we should all try to make an effort to restrain from making racial stereotypes, even, if in our limited experience they seem to be true.

AnnaMAnnaM
    Participant

Well, ordinarily i wouldn’t make such a broad generalization,but i have been in communication with other host families and area reps and they have all confirmed the same thing. Every single Korean student I know of in this town is on the same quest, and our student herself has confirmed for us that that is what is expected of her by her family. I feel a little bit bad for the kid, since it seems like a lot of pressure, and another host mom told me that her student told her he would be disgraced in his country if he came home without having lined up a place for next year. An area rep told me she has researched the issue since becoming aware of it and has found that there are brokers here and in Korea who will make placements for a price, but since these placements are not through an agency and there is no screening, there is a risk that some of these kids will end up in virtual slavery in their placements next year. Interestingly, most of these private placements are in Korean-American homes, so then the whole cultural exchange thing sorta flies out the window then, and apparently some of these Korean-American families take advantage of their own countrymen.
    I mentioned that I feel a little bit bad for our student, but then again I don’t think any of this excuses the sullen resentment we are seeing now, and the complete lack of good manners in not ever saying Thank you for anything, including an all-expenses-paid trip to NYC.
    Apparently America parents don’t have a monopoly on pressuring their kids when it comes to their education and their future, and Korean parents are masters at it.

docEdocE
    Participant

Sorry, but I don’t think it’s ever appropriate to generalize an entire race/ethnicity/culture under any circumstances…unless you have statistical data to back it up or if you’ve personally met every single person belonging to that group.

AnnaMAnnaM
    Participant

As I said, the young woman herself and several other Korean students confirmed for us that this is the agenda of Korean students. I cannot say that every single Korean student who comes here has the same agenda, but this information, directly from Korean students, is something that i wish I had known before taking one into my home, and I am sharing it with the women on this forum. Do with it whatever you wish.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.