Having a problem with my interview

Home Forums Premed Students Having a problem with my interview

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Brenda MayBrenda May
    Participant

For those of you that have gone on interviews, what do you do when you are in a cast? I tore the ligaments in my ankle and had to have reconstructive surgery. I will be in a cast for my interview. The school says that they will consider rescheduling one time for a really good reason but I have heard that rescheduling often makes admissions committees look down on you AND more spaces have already been given away if you wait to interview later in the admission cycle. Would it be bad attire if I went to an interview with one foot in a cast? Or would I be giving the committee something to remember me by “oh yeah, the one in the cast!”

MelissaGrayMelissaGray
    Participant

I do not think that being in a cast for your interview would be a bad thing. In fact, it may give you something a bit different to talk about at the interview!

There is a chance that you will have tours of the school/hospital(s) on your interview day so you’d want to be sure that you can get around decently.

Good luck!

GracieThreeGracieThree
    Participant

I agree with Melissa: they’ll definitely remember you, you’ll have something to talk about if there’s an awkward silence, and, I’ll bet they’ll think you’re a real trooper for going on your interviews, cast and all. I would not reschedule, because many schools have this rolling-admissions method, and you want to interview early and therefore get accepted early, while there are still a lot of spots!

Good luck!

DONOTDELETE ****DONOTDELETE**
    Participant

Go to your interviews! It may be hard to project confidence when you are nonweightbearing on crutches and in a suit…practice. Be confident and act like it is no big deal (even if it is.) They will watch to learn how you handle yourself under pressure. Be sure you can handle yourself well with stairs, chairs, crowds etc. If you are going on tour, you may want to bring a wheelchair. That may sound extreme. You’ll need to decide how far you can walk on crutches without looking/feeling disheveled. Wear a flat shoe, even if you have a dress on. Figure out how you will carry things you’ll need…using a backpack may not project the image you want…it depends upon how you handle it. Your interviewers will probably be very kind and understanding. They will probably ask what it feels like to be a patient. And they will probably be very impressed that you care enough to show up at your interviews no matter what. Don’t let this stop you. Get to those interviews early in the cycle!

Brenda MayBrenda May
    Participant

Well, I took your advice and I went to the interview. My cast did come up as a topic of conversation through out the day and as many of you said, the interviewers (as well as the other applicants that I met that day) all seem duly impressed with my commitment to get to my interview. As one interviewer said, it gives them something to remember you by. The good news is that I got notified yesterday that I was accepted!

Future Mom MDFuture Mom MD
    Participant

Congratulations on your acceptance!!!

Sheretta

efex101efex101
    Participant

Congratulations! I had no idea that schools were giving acceptances this early, that is just awesome what a load off your shoulders! 🙂

MelissaGrayMelissaGray
    Participant

Congrats!!!!

WOW! I’ve never heard of acceptances this early! That’s great!!!

Brenda MayBrenda May
    Participant

It was kind of a freak thing. The school started a pilot Early Decision Option this year and I was selected to participate. I was given the option of interviewing early AND getting notified early or waiting and taking my interview in November. Since it was my first choice school, it seemed like the best opportunity to interview while all 125 spaces were still available. It was a good gamble and it paid off!!

CynthiaCynthia
    Participant

Congrats! And your first choice too!!! Where were you accepted?

–Cynthia

Brenda MayBrenda May
    Participant

I got accepted at Touro University College of Osteopathic Medicine. I was stunned to find out that under 6% of their applicants get accepted and only 2.5% actually matriculate. Yeah for me! The school is only 45 minutes from my house. I won’t have to move. My husband gets to keep his job and my daughter gets to stay at her current school. It was a blessing to get into a school so close to home.

CynthiaCynthia
    Participant

What a blessing! Sounds like the best possible situation. Again congratulations!

rianeriane
    Participant

congrats & good stuff! 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.